Park Assist - Self Parking. Does anyone use it?

Had the Mk3 a month or so now, some of the options I really like, Columbus Screen and Winter Pack especially.

But I've not even tried the Park Assist.

I tend to avoid squeezing in to tight spaces especially in bays and I'm quite capable of parking myself.

Also the front and rear sensors are great, had them on many cars before but the side sensors seem to go mad all the time I reverse up my drive and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn these down individually like the front and rears.

For me it looks like a wasted option. What do others think?

Lee

Used it once "in anger" to get into a tiny space on the seafront at Instow, but only after trying it a couple of times in spaces I was more than happy to park in myself.

Used it once on a parallel park to try it out, seemed like a nice novelty though I panicked and thought it was going to kerb my wheels so took over.

The front sensors that come as part of the option are quite handy though. As you found OP the sides seem sensitive and quite often "false alarm" stuff.

Edited by ahenners

Hmmm, am considering retrofitting more sensors on my O3 as it only has them on the rear and it’s pretty much the same price to fit front sensors as it is to fit Park Assist. I probably wouldn’t use it though, as I have parallel parked outside my house every day for the last 3 and a half years and never kerbed a wheel or hit anything, so am very confident I could do it myself. Would be nice to have front sensors as it just makes the car easier to place, but if the side sensors are a pest, that puts me off.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2018 at 16:44, SashaGrace said:

Hmmm, am considering retrofitting more sensors on my O3 as it only has them on the rear and it’s pretty much the same price to fit front sensors as it is to fit Park Assist. I probably wouldn’t use it though, as I have parallel parked outside my house every day for the last 3 and a half years and never kerbed a wheel or hit anything, so am very confident I could do it myself. Would be nice to have front sensors as it just makes the car easier to place, but if the side sensors are a pest, that puts me off.

I have considered this upgrade too or at least just the front sensors so will be following your progress on this

• Like 1

Specc'd it because it was not a huge amount more than front sensors alone (which are occasionally useful) used it once in a car park to test it and a couple of times to do a "look at this" and watch the thing steer itself. 

Otherwise no, it is not a difficult car to park anywhere, by the time I have have faffed around with it, I have usually parked already.

For what it cost over the front sensors I'd spec it again though.

only used mine a couple of times to try it out. I find it too slow when parking in normal spaces, quicker just to do it myself.

I find the rear camera useful though to see how close you are getting to car behind or those low kerbs they tend to put in the middle of car parking spaces with trees in them

19 minutes ago, OliR said:

I find the rear camera useful though to see how close you are getting to car behind or those low kerbs they tend to put in the middle of car parking spaces with trees in them

The rear camera is something I would like to retrofit (the highline one with washer) as I like to see what's going on when Park Assist is "doing its thing", and I miss having it as it's on my other car.

• Like 1

Had my Octy 3 years probably used it 20 or so times.  Just fun letting it park for you while all you do is watch it's doing it right.

Also really good for picking tight spots that visually I thought was too small.  If it says it's ok then it really will fit.

Bought it for the front sensors but price wise it wasn't much more so went for it.

It kerbed the alloys once and left me 2ft from the kerb another time so maybe a 90% success rate.

Funniest thing was having my family in and I pretended to be using my phone to park (swiping finger across a blank screen) as it did it's thing.  Their expression was priceless.

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper
  • Haha 1

Learned my lesson back in 2011 - our car came with self parking. Showed the system off to a couple of friends - never used it again. Why take x2 as long to park the car?

Skoda had already fitted self parking on to my Octavia demo so can look at it as a freebie. Only difference to that 2011 car is the Skoda has 'bay' parking. What that means is it now takes x3 as long to park the car. :D    And to be honest, its not very practical having to set the system up for bay parking - you really have to stop the car to do it because driving thu a supermarket car park, your eyes need to be on the road at all times.

If I was to add an extra to aid parking, IMO better to invest on rear-view camera (assuming the car already has at least rear sensors as std equipment).

I use it when I can, the only problem I have is that when you want to reverse into a spot the driver behind sits on your back bumper giving no room to be able to reverse into a spot.

I do find that it parks further from the kerb than I would, and it's speed is only limited by the pressure applied to the brake pedal.

I have never tried the auto park feature in my 5 months of ownership but having read all the posts it might be time for me to give it a try :-)

On 01/03/2018 at 23:14, Gadget007 said:

I use it when I can, the only problem I have is that when you want to reverse into a spot the driver behind sits on your back bumper giving no room to be able to reverse into a spot.

I do find that it parks further from the kerb than I would, and it's speed is only limited by the pressure applied to the brake pedal.

The speed is limited.  Try taking your foot off the brake pedal the car will drop out of auto park once something like 5mph is exceeded.  

Its the best option I specified on mine. I use it whenever possible. Plus my daughter thinks I have jedi powers and can move the wheel with my mind. Would have paid double just for this bonus.

• Like 1