Keyless Entry Questions

Hello, looking at an Octavia with keyless entry. Is this more trouble than it's worth or actually a helpful feature?

The second hand car I am looking at has this and it seems pretty cool I guess, the push button start looks ace but probably a bit of a gimmick.

My question is, how well can you lock and unlock the car day to day.  I am used to unlocking from the remote (presume you can no longer do this from the fob?) from distance of a few feet and then all passengers can get in.

When locking, I usually close the door and lock when walking away and glance at the flashing indicators.   Can you still do this with the keyless entry?

Seems a little step back to have to swipe the door handle rather than just closing and walking away, especially if some passengers are a little slower to close their door.  Sounds like I would have to wait at the drivers door before swiping?

Can i swipe and lock the doors (like you can with the standard Octy remote as long as the drivers door is closed) and it will lock the car when all other doors are shut.

Thanks for your feedback!

It is a very nice thing to have - even a must. The key never needs to leave your pocket.

It still has the buttons to use as a regular key fob, if you so wish, but why?

To unlock: Walk to car, reach for handle, open door - cannot get more simple than that and even if you unlock with fob, you still have to physically open the door, no?

To start: Key is in pocket, just tap the "Start" button

To lock: Walk out of the car, touch the handle (you are right next to the car anyway...)

I really don't get your points, sorry :)

8 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

To lock: Walk out of the car, touch the handle (you are right next to the car anyway...)

Can you not just walk away?  We test-drove a Kodiaq a few weeks ago, and walking more than 2m from the car locked it (lights flashed etc)

• Like 1

The issue I can see is I am faffing around getting to the car quick enough and the passenger has got to the car first and is stood there waiting for me to get close enough....think if it  was raining! She would never forgive me lol!

Under this scenario I would have already unlocked the car from a distance with the remote fob.

Second issue is that passengers are taking ages to close their door(s). On my previous Octy I could lock the car and it would lock all closed doors and would lock the doors that are also currently open. In the mean time I can be walking away, setting up the pram etc and I don't have to return to the drivers door to swipe the handle to lock.

I am glad you can still use the remote buttons in the normal way - I wasn't sure if KESSY omitted all of the standard buttons on the fob you see :)

Thanks for the super quick reply :)

2 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

Can you not just walk away?  We test-drove a Kodiaq a few weeks ago, and walking more than 2m from the car locked it (lights flashed etc)

That's another point, does this work in this way?

Also, sometimes I have an OCD moment and like to press the lock button and see the indicators flash to show it's locked, so presuming this still works in the same way?

For your first scenario, you can still use the fob - I usually do the same when it is raining and I am running to the car ;)

...on your second scenario, just close the door normally, by touching the handle and it will lock all doors (closed and open...) so when your passengers close their doors, they will be locked.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jaco2k said:

For your first scenario, you can still use the fob - I usually do the same when it is raining and I am running to the car ;)

...on your second scenario, just close the door normally, by touching the handle and it will lock all doors (closed and open...) so when your passengers close their doors, they will be locked.

Excellent, thanks!

3 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

At least on the pre-FL models, no, you cannot. There is some coding that will auto-lock the doors after you exit if it detects the key is not inside, but it seems it is quite quick to lock the doors...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Plantman said:

Also, sometimes I have an OCD moment and like to press the lock button and see the indicators flash to show it's locked, so presuming this still works in the same way?

When you lock by touching the door, behaviour is the exact same as locking via key - usually the folding mirrors are a good giveaway it is locked.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

When you lock by touching the door, behaviour is the exact same as locking via key - usually the folding mirrors are a good giveaway it is locked.

Fair point, I believe this one has them as well.  Cheers!

KESSY is brilliant and I'm glad I have it.  Can't really see any downsides to having it apart from you might have to change your key batteries slightly more frequently and ensuring you don't keep your key anywhere near entry points to your house.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ahenners said:

ensuring you don't keep your key anywhere near entry points to your house.

I think you can get some "Faraday cage" type of boxes nowadays to keep the keys inside - I have watched some videos from these high tech thieves and it is impressive...

...with that said, I think they are after something a bit more interesting than our Skodas ;)

• Like 1

My Mercedes has keyless entry and start. My Octy doesn’t. If there is one thing I could add to my car over any other option it would be KESSY. It’s just so much more convenient than a key, but yes, as explained you can still use the fob as you would without KESSY. In fact, it’s the same fob, with a folding blade which I think is horribly cheap of VAG, should delete the folding blade and have a pull out one as it’s hardly going to be used and that would be cheaper to make as well (less parts etc). 

I have gotten used to the key as it was hard to find a car with all the options I wanted (KESSY, DSG, Estate, full leather, winter pack, under £11k), so I had to decide what to lose and my car had all the above except KESSY. I found plenty of other cars that had all that and more but they were manual and I really really wanted the DSG, so my car won!

• Like 1

I tend to vary between using the fob and not. When leaving the house because my car keys are with the door keys I just unlock the car with the fob as it's already in my hands, same getting home as I have to get the keys out my pocket anyway.

When out and about then I really find KESSY useful, save having to get keys out of pocket and easier especially if you have you hands full with shopping, you can just grab the handle to open the doors or boot

• Thanks 1

my only issue with KESSY ( and please correct me if it's a settings issue on my wife's car), is that, at night when parking, it's very useful to have the interior lights come on when tbe key is removed from the ignition. Helps with gathering up stuff etc. with KESSY you turn the engine off and sit in the dark.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, scr64 said:

my only issue with KESSY ( and please correct me if it's a settings issue on my wife's car), is that, at night when parking, it's very useful to have the interior lights come on when tbe key is removed from the ignition. Helps with gathering up stuff etc. with KESSY you turn the engine off and sit in the dark.

I'm sure that's a setting, but only via VCDS or similar. On mine the lights are set to come on when the drivers door is opened, so switching the ignition off isn't the trigger

Edited by ahenners
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scr64 said:

Just open the door and then the lights stay on ;)

• Like 2

Yes KESSY is very convenient for the owner, but the big downside it that it is also convenient for car thieves.

Why? Because to avoid a "closed shop" for franchised garages the car manufacturers are required by EU Law to make details of and access to the system available to any organisation claiming to be a  bona-fide car repairer - and its not unheard of for car thieves to create shadow car repair companies. There have been several examples in the press (and even videos on YouTube) of cars being stolen very easily without need to have access to a KESSY fob simply by connecting a laptop to the OBD connector in the drivers footwell (by breaking the drivers door window).

This is more of a problem with prestige marques, but I don't think should be ignored for any marque. If this small extra risk doesn't worry you and convenience is more important then that's fine, but I think it's best to go in with eyes open.

You just have to keep your key in a little shielded pouch or box & then they cannot boost the signal from outside.

Same kind of thing they advise you to put your contactless cards into these days to stop them being swiped in your Pocket.

For me Kessy is a "must have" on my next car.

26 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Yes KESSY is very convenient for the owner, but the big downside it that it is also convenient for car thieves.

Why? Because to avoid a "closed shop" for franchised garages the car manufacturers are required by EU Law to make details of and access to the system available to any organisation claiming to be a  bona-fide car repairer - and its not unheard of for car thieves to create shadow car repair companies. There have been several examples in the press (and even videos on YouTube) of cars being stolen very easily without need to have access to a KESSY fob simply by connecting a laptop to the OBD connector in the drivers footwell (by breaking the drivers door window).

This is more of a problem with prestige marques, but I don't think should be ignored for any marque. If this small extra risk doesn't worry you and convenience is more important then that's fine, but I think it's best to go in with eyes open.

Doesn't this apply to none keyless stuff also? Im not sure it's a downside specific to KESSY. My E92 BMW was particularly prone to thefts by breaking the driver's window (not triggering the alarm) and plugging into the OBD to program a new key. That did not have keyless. Fortunately never happened either.

9 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Doesn't this apply to none keyless stuff also? Im not sure it's a downside specific to KESSY. My E92 BMW was particularly prone to thefts by breaking the driver's window (not triggering the alarm) and plugging into the OBD to program a new key. That did not have keyless. Fortunately never happened either.

It worked on that generation of BMW because of poor software by BMW, which they fixed once the media got hold of the story.

Now it only applies to KESSY as reprogramming a new key requires online access to the VAG database as well as having a correctly cut key - so thieves would have to have copied a key physically AND have a laptop with online access to the VAG servers, just having access to the car (via a broken window) isn't sufficient.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

It worked on that generation of BMW because of poor software by BMW, which they fixed once the media got hold of the story.

Now it only applies to KESSY as reprogramming a new key requires online access to the VAG database as well as having a correctly cut key - so thieves would have to have copied a key physically AND have a laptop with online access to the VAG servers, just having access to the car (via a broken window) isn't sufficient.

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation :)

With a non KESSY  car you can set it to just open the drivers door or all of them. Presumably you can do the same with KESSY , so if you just have drivers set to open, do you have to press a button on the remote to open all the doors?