Anything to look out for in a low milage “ex-management” car

I am going back to Skoda Suberbs after a spell with Volvo. I am due to pick up a “ex-management” low milage (~4K) tdi 150 l&k 4x4 estate in the next week. The car is being brought in by the dealer from SKODA UK.  It is probably a 17 model year.  I realise that the term “ex-management” covers a wide range of situations in VAG speak. Is there anything in particular I should check for on picking up beyond that for any used car?

Many thanks 

Make sure the "extras" are all there (umbrellas in the doors, led torch in the boot etc). They are often swapped between cars as they are picked up so may be missing. Decide what service regime you want and make sure it is set that way. They come from the factory on variable, but dealers will usually set them to fixed unless you specifically tell them not to. I'd also have a look under the bonnet - they are supposed to PDI it and if the bay is filthy that might indicate it hasn't been done. Plus check visible fluid levels (coolant etc) to be on the safe side. One member here found after picking up that there were trim bits missing and mismatched tyres  - these needn't be a problem but would be a reason to ask some questions. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice. I would not have thought of the rear discs or tyre match. 

I am a little uncertain why a car is sold at 4months and 4K miles and not a demonstrator. Hence looking for advice on what to look for. 

I bought a 4 month old Insignia bi turbo with 3k from GM, seems they only keep there company cars 4 months then they get a shiny new one, perhaps it’s the same with VW/Skoda.

The demo I bought was also the sales manager's daily drive. It was registered on 31 October. The sales manager said he could not sell it for a full three months, so I bought it in January. He said Škoda UK like the dealers to keep them for four to six months. Mine had 1,700 miles on it when I bought it, 8,000 miles now. Not had a single problem with it.

Or, it's a customer return. Have a look at the registration document. Good luck!

3 hours ago, MarkUk63 said:

I bought a 4 month old Insignia bi turbo with 3k from GM, seems they only keep there company cars 4 months then they get a shiny new one, perhaps it’s the same with VW/Skoda.

GM will have plenty of its own management cars, but many of its ‘company cars’ may also have been among the thousands which spend a short stint on an Enterprise (or other) rent-a-car fleet before they’re sold as nearly new/low mileage used. Ford does the same, so do a few other car makers.

Its a VAT wangle I reckon. 3 month minimum to stop reclaimed VAT having to be paid back. Ex management so it goes off as a personal sale and again VAT not applicable.

Edited by xman

2 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

GM will have plenty of its own management cars, but many of its ‘company cars’ may also have been among the thousands which spend a short stint on an Enterprise (or other) rent-a-car fleet before they’re sold as nearly new/low mileage used. Ford does the same, so do a few other car makers.

Given the number of “ex-management” cars available from Skoda U.K. and other VAG brands I think all their staff must be using  multiple vehicles (? One for each day of the week). Annual and quarterly sales figures for the motor industry must be as accurate as milage and emissions data.

My neighbour works for Audi. Not a dealer but actually Audi itself. He has 2 new cars at every 6 months at the longest. So he has one for him and one for his wife. Hence every 6 months there will be 2 nearly new Audi's up for sale as ex management cars. They are well looked after with minimal miles. So excited management is nothing to be scared about.

Completely agree with Jeff, a 6 month ex management car does not mean it is going to be I'll treated or badly maintained. As mentioned just make sure umbrellas, torch, ice scraper etc are still there.  You will still have the balance of the new car warranty to rely on should there be any problems, which should be rare. Mine had 5K on the clock when I bought it and was over £6k cheaper compared to a  brand new car.

Thanks for the advice.

Looking forward to seeing the car which has yet to arrive at the dealership. From the limited details available it represents very significant savings on new and has some nice extras.  If it’s half as good as Superb II I had before I will be happy. 

32 minutes ago, mfm959 said:

Thanks for the advice.

Looking forward to seeing the car which has yet to arrive at the dealership. From the limited details available it represents very significant savings on new and has some nice extras.  If it’s half as good as Superb II I had before I will be happy. 

You won't be disappointed. I did exactly the same and have been delighted with the new car. 

On 3/24/2018 at 20:37, xman said:

Its a VAT wangle I reckon. 3 month minimum to stop reclaimed VAT having to be paid back. Ex management so it goes off as a personal sale and again VAT not applicable.

If the VAT is recovered when a car is purchased, it has to be a VAT qualifying car and one of the main conditions is that there is no private use.  Just one mile of private use and it will not qualify.  It will remain a VAT qualifying car, no matter how long it's kept, and VAT will have to be charged when it's sold.  If it ceases to be a VAT qualifying car during ownership, then the input VAT claimed has to be repaid and output VAT will be paid under the margin scheme, which is currently 1/6 of the profit you make (if any) when you sell the car.  I would be very surprised if this is a VAT wangle as companies receive visits from HMRC to check on their VAT records and I'm sure this would be picked up straight away.

My car was an ex-management car and it was interesting to look at the destinations held in Columbus.  There were none stored permanently but those selected when required still showed as previous destinations.  It showed the car had been to places such as Newquay and various shopping centres, which suggests there is private use of management cars.

On 3/24/2018 at 13:52, MarkUk63 said:

VW group staff (Note: Not dealer staff as dealers are franchised) have "benefit" cars for six months/6000 miles (Son was on the scheme before VW sold Leaseplan) and they are not supposed to use them for business use at all (pool cars provided).  They have Milton Keynes registrations (and may have VW/Skoda/SEAT Group UK plates (select manufacturer)).

The car manufacturers can provide a car outside the normal income tax/NI regime as it is part of their "usual business" so it is a cheap perk to staff (VERY cheap for both the company and the individual).  Same principle applied with rail travel for British Rail staff pre privatisation (it was not taxed) but on privatisation my employer was part that didn't run trains (A TESCO - not the supermarket but a Train Engineering Support COmpany) so it became taxable.

Bought mine as an ex demo in Jan 17, it was a 16 plate with 700 miles on it.  Got it for £6k less than list price.

It had literally been used as a demonstator /managers car, first registered at the dealer and had only done local journeys.  Had the sellophane wrappers on the boot and door sills (still has!).   Only thing missing was the brollies which the dealer pointed out and gave me 2 big golf umbrellas as way of compensation, so i wasnt too bothered about that.

Not had any issues with it apart from minor niggles that you would get with any car.

‘Ex-management’ / ‘ex-demo’ can usually just mean ‘we took the liberty of buying and registering a few cars to make the sales look good this month’. We’ve bought several cars this way and 2 actually had 0 miles on the clock.  

Check everything. The spec, the features, every panel, everything! Never mind the back story of the car, things are missed on new cars, things are missed on 3 year old cars. A dealers care and attention is by far a more important factor IMO. 

I can't see it being anything to worry about. I bought mine ex-management, logbook says Skoda too. MY17 on a '66 plate, registered 1st September 2016, and had 4500 on the clock when I got it (15 months old). They even had a 16 plate from the same background with 2500 on it! No issues at all with the car, top condition, everything there and plenty of options too. I'm happy :)

Well got to see the car today prior to checks and valeting. All seems present and correct.  No signs of abuse, shocks etc ok. Tow bar unused.

V5 indicates SKODA UK as first and only owner so looks Ok. 

I did check the spare wheel bay after advice from El Dingo and can confirm that no additional protection fitted by previous user.

I am looking forward to getting the car next week but will have to learn how to wash it as it is Black Magic!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mfm959 said:

I am looking forward to getting the car next week but will have to learn how to wash it as it is Black Magic!!!

Great stuff. Loads of advice on how to wash it on the car care threads, and I'm not an expert so won't begin to advise on that. As to the "how often" - that's a different matter. My previous SII Superb was black magic and the answer is very, very often!:biggrin: Enjoy!