Cupra 280 vs Octavia 245

5 minutes ago, EddGee said:

Absolutely spot on. 

I’d never have another French car as long as there’s a hole in my @rse... 

Over the years I’ve had: 

Renault 19 16v

Citroen Saxo VTS

Peugeot 207GT

and all of them have broken down. :sadsmile:

Admission time, early cars were 2 Citreon AX GT and 2 Citreon ZX Volcanes one diesel one petrol. They never broke down but electrical issues were common and no more French cars for me since 1994.

The point is that those cars would put a smile on your face if you drove them at the track. But at the end of the day, the car you'd want to drive home in is the Octy - it might not be the quickest or most dynamic, but is SO much easier to get on with every day...

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Admission time, early cars were 2 Citreon AX GT and 2 Citreon ZX Volcanes one diesel one petrol. They never broke down but electrical issues were common and no more French cars for me since 1994.

I really liked the AX GT when I was growing up. Something very appealing about the shape to a young lad. 

Citroen got that one spot on. 

Just now, EddGee said:

I really liked the AX GT when I was growing up. Something very appealing about the shape to a young lad. 

I knew someone who had one - to be fair, it was a decent back-to-basics hot hatch. Still wouldn't have one, though - it was like sitting in a (small, square) biscuit tin!

2 minutes ago, EddGee said:

My best mate had a Fiesta XR2 with 96bhp and I could stay with him despite only having 85bhp from the 1.4 litre carb fed motor. Those were the days no fuel injection!

Datsun 100 AF2.... More rust than steel, and had absolutely nothing in the engine!

Had it nicked, then got a Volvo 360 GLT, with 2.0 injection. Wasn't quick, but it was very comfy and could haul quite well!

• 2 weeks later...

A month into ownership now and I thought I’d bring this thread back again with a small update. 

The car is still only on 600 miles so is far from its ‘loosened up’ potential. 

I’ve now started to be a little more adventurous with the throttle and playing about with the different driving modes. 

Sport and Normal mode mostly now. Eco is boring and pointless. Gives you hardly anything on tap. As one would expect I guess. 

Big fan of the comfortable seats and pan roof. Especially with the weather currently being nice. 

Foot to the floor confirms the car is a little way down on overall acceleration compared to the Cupra. That seemed to just keep going and going.

The Octavia is fast car there’s no denying it but at the moment I think it’s still leaving me with a feeling of a deficit or void in overall performance. 

Im considering a remap but know that’s potentially the warranty out the window if I go ahead with it. 

Might have to wait until 2021 for that then. :sadsmile:

Edited by EddGee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, EddGee said:

A month into ownership now and I thought I’d bring this thread back again with a small update. 

I’ve now started to be a little more adventurous with the throttle and playing about with the different driving modes. 

Sport and Normal mode mostly now. Eco is boring and pointless. Gives you hardly anything on tap. As one would expect I guess. 

Big fan of the comfortable seats and pan roof. Especially with the weather currently being nice. 

Foot to the floor confirms the car is a little way down on overall acceleration compared to the Cupra. That seemed to just keep going and going.

The Octavia is fast car there’s no denying it but at the moment I think it’s still leaving me with a feeling of a deficit or void in overall performance. 

Im considering a remap but know that’s potentially the warranty out the window if I go ahead with it. 

Do you think you would have felt this way if going straight from the Cupra to the Octavia or do you feel going from the 280 to the Octavia was a step backwards? 

You've had two high(er) output EA888 engined cars back-to-back so maybe the Octavia was always going to fall short on the overall performance front.   It's easy to see how you currently find the 245 a big 'lacking'.

I still think the Octavia 245 and yours in particular is a lovely motor with a nice spec.  Perhaps give it time for the engine to loosen up a bit and it'll 'just click' ?   

If all else fails: 

https://www.jb4shop.co.uk/collections/jb4-systems/products/jb-stage-1-for-vag-1-8-and-2-0-tsi

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Do you think you would have felt this way if going straight from the Cupra to the Octavia or do you feel going from the 280 to the Octavia was a step backwards? 

You've had two high(er) output EA888 engined cars back-to-back so maybe the Octavia was always going to fall short on the overall performance front.   It's easy to see how you currently find the 245 a big 'lacking'.

I still think the Octavia 245 and yours in particular is a lovely motor with a nice spec.  Perhaps give it time for the engine to loosen up a bit and it'll 'just click' ?   

If all else fails: 

https://www.jb4shop.co.uk/collections/jb4-systems/products/jb-stage-1-for-vag-1-8-and-2-0-tsi

Definitely needing a 280+ Unit  in my life having had them twice previously. 

Wonder if if I could just add that or does the intercooler need upgrading too? 

Also does the DSG need remapping to cope with the extra BHP?

I had a VRS245 on order and cancelled it - looked at both Cupra ST 4Drive and Golf R estates the same morning. To be honest I found the Golfs interior really chintzy - a mass market car trying too hard to be a premium one - standard seat trim awful, lots of high gloss black trim. Cupra trim materials did not feel any worse, seats way better. I could not live with the Holds 18" Cadiz wheels so specifying the Pretorias and DCC added £1800 to the price. Yes I lost the radar cruise but I hate that anyway and have never used cruise control in any of my cars. Has to be said I found the Octavias interior the best out of the three

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EddGee said:

Can you not stick a tuning box on it? 

It'll give you the extra power and can be removed when it enters the garage? 

22 minutes ago, Saints92 said:

Can you not stick a tuning box on it? 

It'll give you the extra power and can be removed when it enters the garage? 

I’m looking at all options mate. I think that’s probably the best idea as it’s easily removed.  

Speed and acceleration is like a drug I guess. :D

I haven't read the entire post but wasn't this outcome inevitable? Octavia is a bigger slightly heavier car with less power... I'm guessing you needed a bigger boot or more rear seat space to sacrifice the performance? 

15 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

I haven't read the entire post but wasn't this outcome inevitable? Octavia is a bigger slightly heavier car with less power... I'm guessing you needed a bigger boot or more rear seat space to sacrifice the performance? 

Well I originally referred to how the two cars compared in build quality and finish. 

With the Skoda being far superior in that department. 

The Cupra was always going to be quicker. At first I didn’t think there was much in it but I think I’m noticing it more now that I’ve started giving the 245 some beans. 

2 minutes ago, EddGee said:

Well I originally referred to how the two cars compared in build quality and finish. 

The Cupra was always going to be quicker. At first I didn’t think there was much in it but I think I’m noticing it more now that I’ve started giving the 245 some beans. 

SOD the WARRANTY give it a stage 1 re-map then you won't miss the CUPRA. Back in 2003 I had a Leon with 230bhp and 230 lb/ft and I thought it was quick at 148mph flat out. It weighed 1308kg. My manual hatch weighs 1370kg so with 302bhp and 345lb/ft the power to weight is now 220bhp per tonne whereas the Cupra had 180bhp per tonne. I reckon top speed now probably 168mph. It's awesome!

10 hours ago, EddGee said:

I’m looking at all options mate. I think that’s probably the best idea as it’s easily removed.  

Speed and acceleration is like a drug I guess. :D

The power is never enough :biggrin: I know people with cars over 500hp who still complain its too slow! 

58 minutes ago, EddGee said:

Just sat in a showroom Cupra 300 (again!) and previous impressions still stand - the Octy is superior! Ok, the door cards are suede lined, which is nice, but the centre console is hard and just doesn't feel nice, and overall although layout is good, for some reason it just feels old and inferior. Digital dash is still nice though.... Can't wait for retrofits to start coming through...

45 minutes ago, Saints92 said:

The power is never enough :biggrin: I know people with cars over 500hp who still complain its too slow! 

So true...you get used to the power/speed/acceleration over time so it becomes "normal" and then you want/need more again :devil:

It’s true. I have a pretty fast car as a toy and I am used to how fast it is now. It’s not slow (and certainly having a slower car to drive daily helps it feel fast when I get back in it again) but I am now accustomed to it. Trouble is, it’s too fast anyway, no point looking for something faster as I’ll just loose my license. Would rather start at the bottom again and work back up.

I have just got my first speeding fine last Saturday. Hopefully will get a awareness course. Fingers crossed. Was going 48 on a 40 zone on a dual carriageway. Will hold off for the stage one remap to 300bhp hahahaha

Edited by Madmax889

Unlucky. I have never been caught speeding, and considering I live in North Wales, home of the war on speed, is impressive. It’s more luck than judgement sometimes though. They have just lowered yet another formerly 60 mph road to a 40. People mock, but the traffic sign recognition has saved me a couple of times when these limits have been changed since my last visits.

13 minutes ago, Madmax889 said:

I have just got my first speeding fine last Saturday. Hopefully will get a awareness course. Fingers crossed. Was going 48 on a 40 zone on a dual carriageway. Will hold off for the stage one remap to 300bhp hahahaha

You should be ok for the course I think you have to go over 52 in a 40 to get the fine and the three points.

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Unlucky. I have never been caught speeding, and considering I live in North Wales, home of the war on speed, is impressive. It’s more luck than judgement sometimes though. They have just lowered yet another formerly 60 mph road to a 40. People mock, but the traffic sign recognition has saved me a couple of times when these limits have been changed since my last visits.

The main A50 from M1 junction 22 into Leicester starts with a 70mph dual carriageway then when you approach Markfield it suddenly drops to 40mph (used to be 50mph) and as well as FIXED speed cameras the GESTAPO mobile camera vans like to park in laybys waiting for unsuspecting visitors new to the area to pounce on, so I always set the cruise control to 40MPH, THEREFORE NO POINTS ON THE LICENCE.