Octavia 245 Owners Club

On 16/11/2018 at 21:05, Octavius_245 said:

Hi guys,

so ive had my 245 for a couple of weeks and loving it! I was originally looking for a highly spec’d 230estate however my local dealership offered me a deal on a new 245, without their knowledge  the 245 had changed to the My19 so the basic spec was not what I was after so refused delivery and made them purchase this one from a dealership up north. 

Moon white metallic paint

panoramic roof 

ACC

ED390660-260E-4264-AE26-88B84F8FE192.jpeg

What was it about the MY19 spec you didn’t like ? Nice car by the way.

Summer wheels 19" x 8.5J with 235/35R19 tyres removed cleaned and dried before storing over winter. Winter wheels 18" x 7.5J with 225/40R18 tyres set at 2.4bar (compared to the 2.7bar on the 19" tyres). Gave me a chance to clean all 4 brake calipers as well. Went for black HEL braided stainless brake lines as they are quite subtle unless you touch them. Summer tyres only on since late August but covered 4,200miles on them and highly recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber but they are noisier than the slightly narrower  Pirelli P Zero tyres.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 hours ago, 2098JH said:

What was it about the MY19 spec you didn’t like ? Nice car by the way.

I was sold the idea of the limited edition 245 so it came extremely well equipped from factory so when the My19 arrived with non electric/heated seats, no alcantara, 18” alloys and non folding mirrors it was an instant no go Scenario especially after coming from a highly spec’d mk7 GTD. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

You've not seriously put Pirelli tyres on for the winter?

Thought you might notice. Won't be driving as hard knowing the limited traction of the P Zeroes. If it snows will take the wife's Karoq like last winter. No need to buy any more tyres until at least 60,000miles by alternating between them.:clap:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pkoconnor said:

Just watched this... Interesting against more powerful and better handling cars. I thought the family wagon did pretty well....

They did kind of take the **** out of the Skoda though, they wanted a golf or a cupra. I could have had any of those (or this mythical type R they are talking about) yet I chose the Skoda. The bit at the end about driving home in which car, if it was for a 20 minute blast home Id take the most raw involving car like they did. If I had to drive to work the next day Id probably choose the one with the most space, comfort, better interior car. I dont think the VRS belongs in the same category as these given some cant fit grown men in the back (the pug had the guy in the middle with both knees pressed against the seats, the mini had room for 2..)

• Like 1

Quick photo on winter wheels with P Zero summer tyres (still rated at 186mph of course). Update on fuel economy since August. Total fuel cost since new £2,438.23 or £152.39 per month or 1,877.89 litres of 99 octane super unleaded (413.08 gallons) so small improvement from 40.96 to current 41.12 MPG overall since new. Very impressive considering 336bhp and 517NM available.

image.jpg

25 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Forgot to mention this is over 16,987 miles.:cool:

Thats probably the extent of my 3 year ownership! Current VRS has just hit 18,000. Nearly a thousand of those was a one off trip, and I use my car for the commute a third less now than I used to. I guess I dont really have to worry too much about the mpg when my 245 comes! 

11 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

Thats probably the extent of my 3 year ownership! Current VRS has just hit 18,000. Nearly a thousand of those was a one off trip, and I use my car for the commute a third less now than I used to. I guess I dont really have to worry too much about the mpg when my 245 comes! 

Noticed that the new WLTP 245 is less economical than the MY18 versions. Old DSG CAR COMBINED figure was 44.1mpg and the manual like mine was 42.8mpg. My co2 is 150gm whereas new engine has gone up to 154gm and economy dropped to 41.5mpg for the manual (not sure what the official new DSG figures are?).:tongueout:

6 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Noticed that the new WLTP 245 is less economical than the MY18 versions. Old DSG CAR COMBINED figure was 44.1mpg and the manual like mine was 42.8mpg. My co2 is 150gm whereas new engine has gone up to 154gm and economy dropped to 41.5mpg for the manual (not sure what the official new DSG figures are?).:tongueout:

No the corrected more real world wltp figures show closer to real world rather than the previous act of fictionthey used to punt out :) the my19 245 vRS 7speed dsg is now one whole car tax bracket less than the manual 245 vRS.

1 hour ago, Scotty72 said:

No the corrected more real world wltp figures show closer to real world rather than the previous act of fictionthey used to punt out :) the my19 245 vRS 7speed dsg is now one whole car tax bracket less than the manual 245 vRS.

Yes that is correct, however it is a complete balls up as they are still not providing true wltp figures!! The whole thing is a shambles and the car manufacturers are abusing the system. The figures currently quoted are a wltp converted to  the old nedc figure with a hypothetical  equation. This gives a fractionaly more accurate figure but is no where near wltp, wltp figure will be at least 15% less. They allowed this until next year to allow us dumbos to understand it, frickin idiots. But the manufacturers are supposed to make available the proper wltp figure, guess what they don’t! It is in the cars type approval though. So we have to wait until next year to see the real mpg numbers unless they find a way of fiddling that too. 

Expect combined figures of vrs to be around 35mpg and diesels down a lot. Just so happens to be about what they get so maybe it will work if thry don’t find another way to corrupt it.   

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

Yes that is correct, however it is a complete balls up as they are still not providing true wltp figures!! The whole thing is a shambles and the car manufacturers are abusing the system. The figures currently quoted are a wltp converted to  the old nedc figure with a hypothetical  equation. This gives a fractionaly more accurate figure but is no where near wltp, wltp figure will be at least 15% less. They allowed this until next year to allow us dumbos to understand it, frickin idiots. But the manufacturers are supposed to make available the proper wltp figure, guess what they don’t! It is in the cars type approval though. So we have to wait until next year to see the real mpg numbers unless they find a way of fiddling that too. 

Expect combined figures of vrs to be around 35mpg and diesels down a lot. Just so happens to be about what they get so maybe it will work if thry don’t find another way to corrupt it.   

To be honest 35mpg avg is about right for normal combination of roads with real driving and sticking to within the confines of posted speed limits. I have to try hard and usually need my family present in the car to get 35mpg+ got 36.6 for a trip tonight in eco with a ton of coasting and some stop start and trying to not press the throttle too much :)

Guest garpat32

I have no idea why people make such a deal out of the MPG in this thread tbh?

Last two cars I had were a Golf GTE, then a Nissan Leaf, i was I was anyway bothered about MPG I would still have one of those two.

The 245 is a quickish car, that does just what I was after at the time. Its "fairly" cheap compared to rivals for size and price, but it's still a fairly generic VW petrol engined car.

Seems to me people just buy the wrong car at the wrong time, then make a load of "changes" to get it to fit.

It's just a car to me, a tool that I use for me job and general day to day life, however to some it's just the job for a Tool to use!!

:biggrin:

5 minutes ago, garpat32 said:

Last two cars I had were a Golf GTE, then a Nissan Leaf, i was I was anyway bothered about MPG I would still have one of those two.

The 245 is a quickish car, that does just what I was after at the time. Its "fairly" cheap compared to rivals for size and price, but it's still a fairly generic VW petrol engined car.

Seems to me people just buy the wrong car at the wrong time, then make a load of "changes" to get it to fit.

It's just a car to me, a tool that I use for me job and general day to day life, however to some it's just the job for a Tool to use!!

LOL You appear to be questioning the existence of Briskoda and quite a number of its members :) 

Mods and MPG thats the primary concern of most of Briskoda's vRS owning population esp the Petrol TSI ones.

My excuse I'm new to the brand/car/engine but I certainly didn't get a vRS 245 to save money on Petrol - I'm genuinely interested what the car MPG wise will do when I try hard not to drive it as I'd normally do. I'm amazed at the 40+MPG brigade, I simply can't get mine to pass this.. maybe I have to do some more miles? LOL

Edited by Scotty72

Guest garpat32
1 minute ago, Scotty72 said:

LOL You appear to be questioning the existence of Briskoda and quite a number of its members :) 

Mods and MPG thats the primary concern of most of Briskoda's vRS owning population esp the Petrol TSI ones.

My excuse I'm new to the brand/car/engine but I certainly didn't get a vRS 245 to save money on Petrol - I'm genuinely interested what the car MPG wise will do when I try hard not to drive it as I'd normally do. I'm amazed at the 40+MPG brigade, I simply can't get mine to pass this.. maybe I have to do some more miles? LOL

Reset the GOM, drive down a long hill, then check it again lol

4 minutes ago, garpat32 said:

At least the 245 is much more practical than the Golf or the Leaf.:D