Octavia 245 Owners Club

8 hours ago, richardwheat200 said:

So, who (like me) has been a bit disappointed with their daily drive. Like a stick of rock I’ve got Skoda written through me. I worked at a franchised dealership for 4 years and I was converted from day 1. My last car was an octavia green line 3 estate which was an excellent car and a ‘superb’ all rounder. However, after 2 years of VRS ownership I’ve been a bit underwhelmed. It’s a lovely car but I just feel that it there was a bit more left behind by the ‘set up’ engineers. It just doesn’t put its power (and there is tons of it) down appropriately, most of it just spins away. I just felt I’d feel a bit more ‘in tune’ with it. Just wondered what others opinions are on the subject. Cheers. 

No traction issues with 4WD. You either need the diesel Octavia or a petrol Superb and you will wonder why you bothered with all that axle tramp and traction control light flickering away even on a wet road. Consigned to the history books for me. My 50 litre tank in the 245 would give me 440 mile range and managed 602 miles on 66 litres in the bigger, heavier and grippier Superb (41.49mpg). And it has a bigger turbo and nearly 120bhp more.:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

No traction issues with 4WD. You either need the diesel Octavia or a petrol Superb and you will wonder why you bothered with all that axle tramp and traction control light flickering away even on a wet road. Consigned to the history books for me. My 50 litre tank in the 245 would give me 440 mile range and managed 602 miles on 66 litres in the bigger, heavier and grippier Superb (41.49mpg). And it has a bigger turbo and nearly 120bhp more.:biggrin:

There is a 4WD petrol Octy Estate for sale in the New Forest. It's on a '19 plate, 2.0 TSi 190 ps & 7-speed DSG, L&K trim with some options. 'Tis not for me 'cos it doesn't have paddles, but it might suit someone else........ A stage 1 map would provide quite decent performance too.

• Thanks 1

On 25/03/2020 at 15:16, ScottyNS said:

BCA told me all inspections and collections are cancelled. I'd brought mine forward to the 7th April, as I was due to have my new (used) car delivered this week. However, due to the lock down my new one now won't be delivered until the lock down eases and the VRS won't be inspected/collected either! First world problems and all that!

BCA should be contacting everyone that had an inspection and collection booked in to let them know it's been cancelled. 

Slight update for anyone in a similar position... my 245 is being collected on Monday, it seems BCA are starting up again. Fingers crossed for not getting hit from the inspection (shouldn't be anything really, but who knows!).

Have to say, this is one of the most active owners clubs I have seen, as I am looking for one to match my next car but it look's unlikely that I will find one as good!

• Thanks 1

My 245 gets collected next week and has been off the road since the lease lapsed. I have a Cupra 290 lux Coming to replace but that’s delayed too.  However I have the use of a 17 plate manual Golf R atm.  I didn’t expect that it would be that different seeing as under the skin it’s broadly the same car. Wow was I wrong, much crisper turn in and better mid corner balance. Don’t miss DSG one bit the manual box is a joy. Suspension is non dcc and clearly shorter travel than the octy but the damping is way better.  My octy has a tuning box so is a little healthier than stock but having 4WD is just brilliant as it just launches of the line in situations that would have you being gentle in 1/2/3 in the octy. Who else has sampled performance versions on the same platform and what are your thoughts ?   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RussTi said:

My 245 gets collected next week and has been off the road since the lease lapsed. I have a Cupra 290 lux Coming to replace but that’s delayed too.  However I have the use of a 17 plate manual Golf R atm.  I didn’t expect that it would be that different seeing as under the skin it’s broadly the same car. Wow was I wrong, much crisper turn in and better mid corner balance. Don’t miss DSG one bit the manual box is a joy. Suspension is non dcc and clearly shorter travel than the octy but the damping is way better.  My octy has a tuning box so is a little healthier than stock but having 4WD is just brilliant as it just launches of the line in situations that would have you being gentle in 1/2/3 in the octy. Who else has sampled performance versions on the same platform and what are your thoughts ?   

That was kind of my point in my earlier post. The 245 may as well be 1000hp, it’s passed the sweet spot and it simply can’t get it’s power down.  Forgot that the Golf R came in manual once upon a time. Not driven the other equivalents I’m afraid.   

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ScottyNS said:

Slight update for anyone in a similar position... my 245 is being collected on Monday, it seems BCA are starting up again. Fingers crossed for not getting hit from the inspection (shouldn't be anything really, but who knows!).

Have to say, this is one of the most active owners clubs I have seen, as I am looking for one to match my next car but it look's unlikely that I will find one as good!

Scotty, yeah I had a text from BCA yesterday to say i can either extend or get them to do a contactless inspection/collection.  So now im in too minds as my new car (Volvo V60) is ready but the dealer is not delivering yet.  Im in two minds, I can return it and have no car for an unknown period or extend the lease for 3 or 6 months in the hope the lockdown eases and the dealer can deliver.

I must say with the quiet roads I have been enjoying the benefits of the 245! All within legal limits of course!

So thinking do I eeek out as much fun as I can or say bye to it!  Choices choices!

I do have the use of my wifes car but going from a 245 to a Nissan note would be some change!

9 hours ago, martysparty99 said:

Scotty, yeah I had a text from BCA yesterday to say i can either extend or get them to do a contactless inspection/collection.  So now im in too minds as my new car (Volvo V60) is ready but the dealer is not delivering yet.  Im in two minds, I can return it and have no car for an unknown period or extend the lease for 3 or 6 months in the hope the lockdown eases and the dealer can deliver.

I must say with the quiet roads I have been enjoying the benefits of the 245! All within legal limits of course!

So thinking do I eeek out as much fun as I can or say bye to it!  Choices choices!

I do have the use of my wifes car but going from a 245 to a Nissan note would be some change!

Ah, that's not easy. Have you tried calling the Volvo dealer to see if they're planning anything yet? I am chasing Audi to see if they're realising any stock orders yet as there are murmurs of things changing a bit.

I am beyond the date of my lease, so it has just been sat on my drive since 27th. Just can't wait to get my new one, although unless lockdown eases it won't get driven much anyway!

Edited by ScottyNS

10 hours ago, martysparty99 said:

I wonder if their 3 month extension actually means for 'up to 3 months'? If it is then that would allow you to have your old car for only as long as it takes to get your new car and not the full period?

15 hours ago, ScottyNS said:

Ah, that's not easy. Have you tried calling the Volvo dealer to see if they're planning anything yet? I am chasing Audi to see if they're realising any stock orders yet as there are murmurs of things changing a bit.

I am beyond the date of my lease, so it has just been sat on my drive since 27th. Just can't wait to get my new one, although unless lockdown eases it won't get driven much anyway!

Ive emailed the company I ordered it through and just waiting to hear back.  Although reluctantly I think ive decided to get it collected and use my wifes car.  Then in the hope that the lockdown eases and I can get my new one delivered

14 hours ago, john999boy said:

I wonder if their 3 month extension actually means for 'up to 3 months'? If it is then that would allow you to have your old car for only as long as it takes to get your new car and not the full period?

Yeah ive asked VWFS this question but they havent replied yet.  Only have a skeleton staff in i assume. 

On 05/05/2020 at 19:38, RussTi said:

I don't own a Mk. 3 vRS Octy but I've driven a few, & none of them have made me want to swap from my ancient Superb or my Golf R hatchback.

I've driven quite a few in the last 2/3 years & had an hours unaccompanied test drive in a 7-speed 245 last year. 

I used my Golf get to / from the dealer 'cos I wanted to compare the same platform, as you have mentioned.

All I can say is, I really do hope that Skoda will offer the Mk. 4 Octy vRS with 240/250 ps & 4WD. Why, well the Leon Cupra ST is a bit too cramped inside, I don't want a Mk.8 Golf, the Superb 3 is too big for my garage, a Tiguan or Cupra Ateca is too tall, & I really don't want an Audi.....

As for comparing FWD & 4WD everyday, I do have to remember that the Superb cannot scoot off the line until it's rolling.

Obviously it's not a quick car, especially when comparing it an R, even after  having it remapped to 252 ps  years ago, but neither is it a slug. 

It's just a comfortable & economical cruiser / cum shopping trolley that's quicker than it looks......  (FWIW all our current cars are DSG, as were the dealer demonstrators).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

I don't own a Mk. 3 vRS Octy but I've driven a few, & none of them have made me want to swap from my ancient Superb or my Golf R hatchback.

I've driven quite a few in the last 2/3 years & had an hours unaccompanied test drive in a 7-speed 245 last year. 

I used my Golf get to / from the dealer 'cos I wanted to compare the same platform, as you have mentioned.

All I can say is, I really do hope that Skoda will offer the Mk. 4 Octy vRS with 240/250 ps & 4WD. Why, well the Leon Cupra ST is a bit too cramped inside, I don't want a Mk.8 Golf, the Superb 3 is too big for my garage, a Tiguan or Cupra Ateca is too tall, & I really don't want an Audi.....

As for comparing FWD & 4WD everyday, I do have to remember that the Superb cannot scoot off the line until it's rolling.

Obviously it's not a quick car, especially when comparing it an R, even after  having it remapped to 252 ps  years ago, but neither is it a slug. 

It's just a comfortable & economical cruiser / cum shopping trolley that's quicker than it looks......  (FWIW all our current cars are DSG, as were the dealer demonstrators).

Agree it looks like at launch the only 2 4WD Octavia's will be a 187bhp petrol and the 197bhp diesel which are not interesting or exciting enough for me having owned a hard to get it off the line manual 336bhp Vrs245.:biggrin:

245 due back on 7th of June 24 month deal. I took maintenance and its due a service. I can’t seem to contact anyone to do the service. Tried calling Skoda and it’s just a series of answerphone messages. And advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

On 07/05/2020 at 20:17, richardwheat200 said:

245 due back on 7th of June 24 month deal. I took maintenance and its due a service. I can’t seem to contact anyone to do the service. Tried calling Skoda and it’s just a series of answerphone messages. And advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

You could try Skoda live chat and ask them to get someone to call you with available garage options? Or email maybe. I've sent an email asking about how best to store car during lockdown regarding power drain and the KESSY system. They replied 5 days  later after speaking with technical team, so they have people working.

On 07/05/2020 at 20:17, richardwheat200 said:

Is your lease through Skoda or VW finance? If it is then go to the VW finance website and look for the forms. You can submit a form and they will get back to you. The answer time on the Skoda finance has been around 45 minutes to forever. One of our skodas ended on the 19th of April. We tried calling and emailing at the beginning of April, got a reply via email on the 6th asking for even more security details, we replied but didnt hear from them until this week. Meanwhile they tried to take the balloon payment off us for not getting in touch. Having a right nightmare with them and understand your predicament.

On 05/05/2020 at 14:06, ScottyNS said:

So I have the dreaded inspection today, was a bit worried on a few items.  I posted on here a while ago that I had a kerbed alloy.  I thought it might be worse than the guidelines say.  Then my 2 front tyres seemed a bit low on tread but still within the limit.  Also last night I went on a final blast and just before I got home I had a check coolant light come on, oops.  Anyway bloke got me out of bed and I was waiting for the ok, found xyz.  Came to the door, no charge sir!  Phew!

• Like 3

I know that feeling of relief! My inspection was on Monday and I had marks on a couple of the alloys and some light marks on the rear bumper, but thankfully all within tolerance. It was then collected yesterday. Just waiting for the new motor now (impatiently lol).

18 hours ago, ScottyNS said:

I know that feeling of relief! My inspection was on Monday and I had marks on a couple of the alloys and some light marks on the rear bumper, but thankfully all within tolerance. It was then collected yesterday. Just waiting for the new motor now (impatiently lol).

Yeah i could of sword he would fine something, oh well happy days!

yeah I too am waiting for my new motor now, chased it up yesterday but apparently the dealer is not delivering yet.  Hopefully soon.

What did you go for in the end?

1 hour ago, martysparty99 said:

Yeah i could of sword he would fine something, oh well happy days!

yeah I too am waiting for my new motor now, chased it up yesterday but apparently the dealer is not delivering yet.  Hopefully soon.

What did you go for in the end?

I went for an Audi A6 Avant Quattro, 3.0tdi 272ps. It is several years old, but can't wait to get it. 

• Like 1

Like several on here I took the cheap lease deal 2 years ago and car was due to go back in July, however I have enjoyed the car so much and due to not being able to find anything else to lease that I fancy at a reasonable price have decided to buy the car and will probably run it for another 3 years by which time it will be over 100,000 miles. Hope it stays reliable over that time.

Edited by Mark944gold
typo
  • Like 1