Dashcam Switched Power

John_S

9 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Started again- fitted to fuse 47 and again seems intermittent. Slow to start up and sometimes just cuts off mind way through driving. Starting to think it might be the hardwired kit or camera not liking being hardwired

Mines been wire as per the instructions in this post and not had any issues with unit cutting out. So would suggest you there is an issue with your units or the way you have wire it. Mine is a UK spec 2019 1.5 SEL.

15 hours ago, mc6701 said:

Mines been wire as per the instructions in this post and not had any issues with unit cutting out. So would suggest you there is an issue with your units or the way you have wire it. Mine is a UK spec 2019 1.5 SEL.

It's related to engine start up. When the engine starts up it goes haywire, but settles down after a period. The camera is a micro USB connection. Anyone got any links to better hardwire kits than the one I got from Amazon!

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

It's related to engine start up. When the engine starts up it goes haywire, but settles down after a period. The camera is a micro USB connection. Anyone got any links to better hardwire kits than the one I got from Amazon!

This is the one I got from the bay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F291517377396

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2018 at 07:55, solarfusion said:

Thanks that's useful. So were you able to hide the cable going up the A pillar without removing anything? Mine's a PCH so want to avoid damaging anything.

The lighter socket on my wife's Fabia II was always on too so I used two piggy back adapters to swap the power from a switched source instead. Must by a Skoda thing.

Hi i’m New to this site. I have a Karoq and want to fit a dash cam so I have been reading the posts with great interest. One post states that they have a PCH, please excuse my ignorance but what is a PCH?

also thinking of installing a rear dash cam as well, could I wire the rear dash cam in with the same piggy back fuse that I intend to use for the front dash cam, if so what fuse rating would I need to use.

al, and any info, suggestions would be most welcome.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Ok,  just fitted my dash cam with the help of all the great info on here.....!

I've fitted my Nextbase cheapie model using the nextbase hardwire kit out of the Octy I've just sold.  Like in the Octy I've used a piggyback fuse in the empty slot of fuse 48, which I believe is the blind spot monitoring, which I don't have. It is ignition switched.  The glovebox was far easier to remove ( or at least drop out of the way) than the Octavia, the instructions on here and to be fair in the owners handbook are quite good. I found I could prise the bumpstops out of the way carefully with a couple of flat blade screwdrivers and the damper pops out as per the "snowman" suggestion above.

Took the side panel with the passenger airbag switch in it off and routed up the door rubber.

All in all about an hour or hour and a half.  I've used a fixed mount to stop the sucker dropping off periodically !

dashcam1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2020 at 06:56, Egon74 said:

Hi! I'm picking up my Karoq next week - want to fit a dash cam - just found a hardwire kit with ODB connector - will it work? 

I was looking at these also, no clue if it's a good idea or not though 

• 4 months later...
On 14/08/2019 at 13:25, mc6701 said:

Sorry to dig up an old post...

Do you happen to know the output of this hardwire kit?

I have bought a Motorola which requires 1500mA with a micro usb connection . There are no specific hardwire kits for this dashcam.. not a problem...but ..

most of the generic kits etc are 2000mA output. Trying to track down a decent 1500mA 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide a link/answer the question?

17 hours ago, Sebs said:

Sorry to dig up an old post...

Do you happen to know the output of this hardwire kit?

I have bought a Motorola which requires 1500mA with a micro usb connection . There are no specific hardwire kits for this dashcam.. not a problem...but ..

most of the generic kits etc are 2000mA output. Trying to track down a decent 1500mA 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide a link/answer the question?

As long as the power supply is equal to or greater than 1500mA, you will not have a problem.  The 2000mA power supplies will be satisfactory.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've recently fitted an Apeman c860 dashcam plus the Apeman hardwire kit complete with OBD2 plug and micro usb connector. The latter removes the need for piggybacking fuses just plug it in to the OBD port. It doesn't drain the battery as it stops working when the voltage drops below 11.6v. I was a little concerned at first about this but so far no problems. In the user hardwire kit manual it states "The dashcam automatically shuts down 5mins after the car is turned of. At this time, the G sensor in the OBD stars to work (in the monitoring state). Once the car is vibrated the OBD will be powered onto turn on the recorder. When there is no vibration the recorder will automatically shut down after 1 minute." I tested this by rocking the car back and forth then looked at the recording which showed me doing that.

It was easy to fit too 1/2 hour for the front dash cam and 20/25 mins or so for the rear camera.

I know the above sounds like an advert but it works, not only that I got the dash cam from Ebay 1/2 price!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m about to buy a Nextbase dash cam plus hardwire kit. My question is, once the engine is off and the car is in ‘parked’ mode, will this in any way affect the battery? 

2 hours ago, MICKSVRS said:

I’m about to buy a Nextbase dash cam plus hardwire kit. My question is, once the engine is off and the car is in ‘parked’ mode, will this in any way affect the battery? 

It’s okay, I found the answer online. 

that answer being no as the kit has a voltage meter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Re hard wiring dashcam, rather than using a hardwire kit, on previous cars I have used a piggyback fuse, but attached a trailing female lighter socket, and used this with the camera’s OE plug.

I intend using this method on my Octavia, hoping there is room somewhere for it behind the dash.  It’s not been a problem before, and it’s cheaper, and avoids maybe buying the wrong hardwire kit.

Did I read that fuse 47 is a standard blade fuse, not a mini?

Have installed my Dashcam using the cigarette lighter supply, I know that it has a permanent supply so i pull the plug every night, but  if I leave it plugged in and just switch the camera off, then in theory the only power pulled would be until the camera battery is charged, then there would be no current draw, does that make sense and seem safe?

On 18/03/2021 at 08:26, Baxlin said:

Re hard wiring dashcam, rather than using a hardwire kit, on previous cars I have used a piggyback fuse, but attached a trailing female lighter socket, and used this with the camera’s OE plug.

I intend using this method on my Octavia, hoping there is room somewhere for it behind the dash.  It’s not been a problem before, and it’s cheaper, and avoids maybe buying the wrong hardwire kit.

Did I read that fuse 47 is a standard blade fuse, not a mini?

That's what I did with my Octavia, if the female socket is small there should be enough room.   There is room at the top of the hard plastic covering where the passenger's left toes would tap against, and there's some metal framing just above there you can use for an earth for the lighter socket adapter. There certainly is on the driver's side. Use plenty of insulating tape to secure the plug and socket together.  

I strongly recommend looking on the Octy 3 pages, there are a couple of threads dating from a while back with lots of good info.  Unfortunately I've deleted the link from my bookmarks or I'd send it.  Getting the glovebox lid off and on is a faff but once done it gets easy.  I THINK they're mini fuses but they're readily available on Fleabay with a short cable attached.  And the Octy threads will confirm the fuse number - it's certainly in the 40s, the rear wiper fuse is the likeliest one.

• Thanks 1

Thanks FG:  hopefully I’ve ordered the correct piggyback fuse.  Good point about the insulting 😀 tape, I usually do this, even though on my last car, a Volvo, where removing the glove box didn’t make the fuse box any more accessible, it was awkward to say the least!

• 1 month later...

Just wired in my dashcam on MY21 the hardest and longest part of the job was getting the glovebox dropped down not very clear in the handbook in end I did it the opposite way round to described ie undid the damper last that way you get some room to get your hand in. The tabs to release the box are very awkward.

Took me less than 40 mins. I wouldn't want to be trying to change a fuse an a dark wet and windy night that's for sure..

Edited by pragmatix

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is exactly the info I have been looking for. I am picking up an 18 month old Karoq tomorrow to replace my current 2013 Fabia & want to transfer my hard-wired dashcam over. From reading this article it actually looks easier than it was on my Fabia.

Many thanks for posting it.