Dashcam Switched Power

John_S

Got the job done - a bit fiddly but not too difficult. Much as I tried I couldn't get the A-pillar trim all the way off, managed to get it off enough at the top to be able to push a length of thin plastic rod down from the top. Didn't want to force the trim any further in case I broke something - it's very tight against the dashboard at the bottom so I guess that doesn't help things? I then taped the dashcam plug to the rod so I could pull it up through again with the cable, making sure it was behind the airbag that runs behind the trim. Was just then a case of tucking the cable behind the headliner, making the connections at the fusebox end & tidying up the excess cable. I used an unused fusebox slot that is ignition-switched.

Job done - very pleased with it.

20210623_171703.jpg

20210623_171944.jpg

Nice job Dave.  The biggest worry is the airbag connection, it needs a dealer visit to reset if unplugged, I gather.  Assuming it doesn't go off in your face.

I've got a camera in the rear window as well, fed the cable under the rubber trim at floor level to the same feed. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, whitevx said:

Has anyone fitted a blackview dashcam? 

I like the Dr750x 2ch and hope someone has fitted this brand.

Do you have a specific problem relating to the Blackview?  They were big sellers over here a few years back, but the latest NextBase range has seriously undercut BV on price and gets top ratings from tests.  That BV model costs over £500 here.

There were lots of posts about BV dashcams on the Octavia 3 forum some years back.

@FlyingGecko thanks for your reply. The BV seem to have  good name here in Australia and also recommend alot too. The other thing I like about the BV is they all seem less obtrusive aka "sticking out there".

I hope this makes sense.

Hi whitevx, yes BV have a good reputation  but very pricey. I know what you mean about the unobtrusive aspect.  The latest NB ones have a much slimmer mount than previously for a neater look but have enough presence to be seen by wrongdoers, which I like.  Also I can't really notice my BV520 from the driver's seat.

Anyway, what's the problem with the BV? Using, or wiring?

9 hours ago, whitevx said:

No problem with wiring as I don't have one as yet. My question was purely to see if anyone has wired a BV unit and how they found it etc etc 

Oh, OK.  See if there's any response over the next few days. 

I think many/most Karoq owners have fitted NextBase  from what I recall from posts the past year.  They've done a big marketing push on the new range across the retailers on the High Street over here.  

(Where are you in NSW? I've a cousin in the heart of Sydney - and yes, I know it's a big country, I've another cousin in Perth and been to both places a few times!)

• Like 1

Thanks @FlyingGecko I suppose it all comes down to which brands push what relative to each part of the world.

I live in the Central West part of NSW and takes me about 3 1/2hrs to drive back to Sydney. I don't miss the city at all, you can have your COVID lockdown, crappy traffic, woeful drives etc etc. I like living in my big regional town. I previously worked in another town that took 9 1/2hrs to drive back to Sydney but only 4hrs to get to the CBD of Melbourne.

We don't know NSW except Sydney and then just about 50 km around the harbour.  One of our WA trips, five of us  spent a week driving up to Carnarvon and back with a , the highway was so quiet if we saw a car on the horizon coming the other way we'd have a competition to see how long it would be before we passed.  And we used to rate the quality of the egg and bacon sandwiches in the roadside cafes.  Then on a trip down to Albany we'd count the dead kangaroos to pass the time.  I've a third cousin 20km from Byron Bay who keeps sending photos of goannas nearly a metre long. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, DonJayDk said:

Hey guys

Im not sure i understand about the cable going on the a-pillar? 

What is the best way to run it down the window regarding the airbag? 

There are a few posts here and, I think, on the Octavia 3 forum, about having the cable between the screen and the A pillar to avoid the airbag bringing the cable with as it goes off. 

The issue is probably about what's likely to happen to the dashcam cable if the airbag actually goes off.  Does it pull the cable with it, possibly pulling the cable out of the headlining and pulling the camera towards the passenger, or would the airbag direction not have the cable in its line of fire?  My (admittedly non-professional) view is that whichever side of the pillar trim, the risk is about the same.  No two accident impacts would produce the same result.

So rather than remove any pillar trim I've got the cable tucked just under the edge of the rubber trim that runs down the pillar and therubber edge is just over the plastic pillar trim.  The cable is actually not under the trim, just next to it.  There's enough flexibility in the rubber to allow space for the cable.

I think it's possible to tuck the cable down the windscreen edge too, and get it hidden enough from inside the car.  From the outside, the black edging on the glass would hide any visible cable.   There'll be a few more suggestions from other forum members later.

Hi all, 

Just wanted to say thank you for the informative guides. Helped me get it done on our 2021 Karoq. Did the electrical first with a piggyback fuse and 12V to 5V converter that I got for $20 and installed the rest after feeding the cable from the glove box out the removed side panel, then mocking up the cam on the glass and hiding away all the wires. Highly recommend that you go buy the car plastic removal tools so you don't damage anything. Helpful for the entire process to get things open etc. Installed a Viofo A119 V3.   

• Like 2

On 01/09/2021 at 12:06, FlyingGecko said:

There are a few posts here and, I think, on the Octavia 3 forum, about having the cable between the screen and the A pillar to avoid the airbag bringing the cable with as it goes off. 

The issue is probably about what's likely to happen to the dashcam cable if the airbag actually goes off.  Does it pull the cable with it, possibly pulling the cable out of the headlining and pulling the camera towards the passenger, or would the airbag direction not have the cable in its line of fire?  My (admittedly non-professional) view is that whichever side of the pillar trim, the risk is about the same.  No two accident impacts would produce the same result.

So rather than remove any pillar trim I've got the cable tucked just under the edge of the rubber trim that runs down the pillar and therubber edge is just over the plastic pillar trim.  The cable is actually not under the trim, just next to it.  There's enough flexibility in the rubber to allow space for the cable.

I think it's possible to tuck the cable down the windscreen edge too, and get it hidden enough from inside the car.  From the outside, the black edging on the glass would hide any visible cable.   There'll be a few more suggestions from other forum members later.

I will try that instead ;)

The "A" pillar airbag is attached using strips of tape (there may be other hidden fixings too) so I VERY CAREFULLY threaded my cable behind the airbag so it would not get in the way if it ever went off. I did not interfere with the airbag at all. I couldn't remove the "A" pillar trim fully, it just wouldn't completely detach at the bottom for some reason so I didn't wanna force anything so it made getting the cable through to the fusebox difficult at first. However, I threaded a piece of stiff wire through from the top until it came out at a point below the dash where I could grab hold of it, taped the dashcam plug to it & then gently pulled it up through before carefully threading it up under the airbag & tucking it under the headliner. After I had made the connections at the fusebox there was lots of spare cable so I neatly reeled it up & cable tied it to the metal framework behind the removable panel on the left of the dash.

So... I got my package with the wires and everything. 

And i can get the wire from the cam all around the windows, down the door and under the panels and then up into the fusebox. 

Now my question is ; 

The wire A, should that go on to the blue cricle? 

And i can not figure out what cable to use for the fuse box and which fuse insert i should use. 

English is not my mother language and theres alot of technical i dont understand. 

Can anybody guide my a bit ? 

InkedInside_LI.jpg

Wires.jpg

On 12/09/2021 at 05:23, DonJayDk said:

So... I got my package with the wires and everything. 

And i can get the wire from the cam all around the windows, down the door and under the panels and then up into the fusebox. 

Now my question is ; 

The wire A, should that go on to the blue cricle? 

And i can not figure out what cable to use for the fuse box and which fuse insert i should use. 

English is not my mother language and theres alot of technical i dont understand. 

Can anybody guide my a bit ? 

InkedInside_LI.jpg

Wires.jpg

The black wire (1) goes to the blue circle, No.2 goes to one of the other red cables that correspond to the type of fuse you have.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Wiring up a dashcam     I have done them in a Passat, a Polo, a Tiguan and now a Kamiq.

Heres how.  Firstly figure out where the camera is to go. In the Passat and Polo was in front of mirror and below binnacle. In Tiguan and Kamiq is toward centre on passngers side of screen as too low in centre.

Wiring   Fuse 46 in the Kamiq is fine to put a fuse tap in and earth to the bolt shown above.

As my car is RHD i ran the cable from the fuse to an extra ciggy socket and retained the original plug  12v camera. For 5 volt do this also as stepdown is usually in that plug.   Ran wiring across behind heater  stuff and glovebox to door seal.  Pulled A pillar cover off to give a gap at the top  Ran up the door seal and poked a heavy cable tie in behind the air bag  and it came out between front of roof lining and screen. Pulled the camera cable through and along front of roof lining . Put camera in place leaving clearance to get power cable in end nearest binnacle.

Using a BLACKVUE  (not a Blackview which is a crap camera).  Working back from camera I tucked the cable up behind edge of roof lining (gently) and then tightened it down the door seal to the end of the dash. Pulled excess back to the fuse box and tied it up neatly  For rear camera in the Tiguan  (havent done Kamiq it will be similar)  run cable from front camera same as above down door seal to floor and along under inner edge of door sills into the rear quarter.

Up the rear and after taking trim off top of tailgate you push the outer end of the plugs at each end of the wiggle cable and it will pop up but be careful as it can break the clip at other end if you are too forceful,. Using a wire or plastic tie poke it from door into car and pull the cable through to camera.

Tidy up as before by tieing up in rear quarter. 

I actually use two separate cameras and is easier as only need to run a power wire along floor to a ciggy plug in rear corner and use an earth point in there. All works fine but I dont use parking mode but if you use a Power Magic just take two power wires off it if using separate cameras

Cameras and toll tag  are now all painted matte black so can hardly be seen

Here are helpful guides which are pretty much the same for all VAG cars

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-a-pillar-trim-removal/

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/

Tiguan good one.jpg

cigarette-lighter-inline-socketImageMain-300.jpg

addafuse correct.jpg

20180619_104949[1].jpg

Edited by Exkiwi

• 4 months later...

I must be getting lazy...I just couid not find the willingness to start dismantling trim for fusebox access or doing piggyback fuses

One quick solution - Garmin OBD socket connector with built in battery saver and options for 10 minutes, 24 hour or continuous running after ignition switch off.

Stuck to dash innards with a sticky pad, and USB cabling then just run as normal up the side of the A-pillar trim and under the leading edge of the roof lining

IMG_6835.thumb.jpeg.82031a6d2ef5d08513ee91f8c3aa6e6d.jpeg

IMG_6834.thumb.jpeg.a14d5ccb45d7ac692663841d1f4c610d.jpeg

IMG_6832.thumb.jpeg.0e391d9519d4c870fce1c5cc3766c807.jpeg

IMG_6833.thumb.jpeg.22815f6d2ca61384ef849d83c437cb89.jpeg

31 minutes ago, phope said:

I must be getting lazy...I just couid not find the willingness to start dismantling trim for fusebox access or doing piggyback fuses

One quick solution - Garmin OBD socket connector with built in battery saver and options for 10 minutes, 24 hour or continuous running after ignition switch off.

Stuck to dash innards with a sticky pad, and USB cabling then just run as normal up the side of the A-pillar trim and under the leading edge of the roof lining

IMG_6835.thumb.jpeg.82031a6d2ef5d08513ee91f8c3aa6e6d.jpeg

IMG_6834.thumb.jpeg.a14d5ccb45d7ac692663841d1f4c610d.jpeg

IMG_6832.thumb.jpeg.0e391d9519d4c870fce1c5cc3766c807.jpeg

IMG_6833.thumb.jpeg.22815f6d2ca61384ef849d83c437cb89.jpeg

Shame you bought such a crappy dash cam      Only place for a Garmin is in the bin. A friend bought one and I installed it for him.  Was about the worst of the 3 cheap crap cameras he bought

7 minutes ago, Exkiwi said:

Shame you bought such a crappy dash cam      Only place for a Garmin is in the bin. A friend bought one and I installed it for him.  Was about the worst of the 3 cheap crap cameras he bought

I've found them alright - had a couple of their Dashcam Mini in the past - just something small and unobstrusive. The Mini in our Tiguan is 1080p and this one is 1440p resolution

Used to have a Blackvue (can't remember the model number) and frankly it was terrible with fiddly software & settings, and had to be replaced 2-3 times under warranty. Will never use Blackvue again :D 

• 1 year later...

Hi all. 

I opened the gloves box today and noticed that a cable in there has a broken plug and it disconnected. I don't think I did it when I opened it. Can someone tell me what this cable is for and if it needs to be connected 20230205_133431.thumb.jpg.6023b40fb174b06a01976b967c802b57.jpg? Thanks

1 hour ago, Avi_d said:

Hi all. 

I opened the gloves box today and noticed that a cable in there has a broken plug and it disconnected. I don't think I did it when I opened it. Can someone tell me what this cable is for and if it needs to be connected 20230205_133431.thumb.jpg.6023b40fb174b06a01976b967c802b57.jpg? Thanks

It's from the right hand side of the glovebox.

There is a picture about half way down page 1 of this thread.

3 hours ago, deddog said:

It's from the right hand side of the glovebox.

There is a picture about half way down page 1 of this thread.

Yes you're right. Do you know what it does?