Audi Throttle Response

Gizmo modified my car when I was in the UK last week, including activating the Audi throttle response and an accompanying VCDS option which apparently optimises this (apologies, I forget the name of it). There seems to be a variety of opinion on the benefits of this mod, so I thought I would add my two penn'orth for anyone thinking of doing it.

As you can see from my profile, I have a 150 DSG. IMHO the mod makes a significant difference to this engine/transmission. I still occasionally notice a little lag, but it doesn't really bother me. The main reason I wanted the mod was for cornering (there are a lot of windy roads around here). Prior to the mod, even if I started to put pressure on the accelerator before entering a corner (obviously not advisable normally) it wouldn't usually kick in until well after exiting the bend, thereby losing some traction. Now it behaves more or less how my old manual used to behave.

I ruled out getting a Pedal Box due to our French insurer. I understand that this is even better. However, I'm very happy with the Audi throttle and I'm not sure I would bother with the Pedal Box even if insurance was not an issue.

I'm more ambiguous about the other VCDS mod that affects the operation of the car - auto locking when leaving the car. The problem is that it locks whenever you shut a door. So if you get out and close the door but need to get something from the back seat area, you have to re-open it again via the handle or key fob. This can be inconvenient - though it's partly a matter of getting used to it and anticipating, which I am getting better at. OTOH I like the fact that a. I can just walk away from the car when I'm say briefly going into a shop; and b. I know that the car is locked (if with no alarm) even if I forget to touch the front door handle when parking up properly.

Other mods, which were mostly more minor or aesthetic (DRLs), I'm very happy with. I do like the fact that the clock now changes automatically to reflect the current time where I am.

Many thanks once again to you Gizmo for being so generous with your time and equipment. Hope you enjoyed the Jupiler.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was down there on Saturday John999boy to watch a film at a cinema a few hundred metres from where you took the picture.:biggrin:

Back on topic - I'm surprised you noticed no difference with your DSG TerryMcK. It really is appreciable in my car. Could the fact that yours is petrol make a difference? Perhaps the lag is worse with diesels. With a manual such as yours Penguin17 I would be less surprised if the change is less dramatic. Another factor might be the second connected mod that Gizmo made to my car - this apparently improves the Audi response, though if I understood correctly more to the smoothness of the response rather than the immediacy.

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

. Another factor might be the second connected mod that Gizmo made to my car - this apparently improves the Audi response, though if I understood correctly more to the smoothness of the response rather than the immediacy.

I wasn't aware of another, associated mod...any further info please? 

Just now, The Wanderer said:

Sorry, as I said above I forgot the name of the mod which Gizmo had told me. When he did the mods a couple of weeks ago, he said he'd be describing it on the forum in due course.

Thanks.  @Gizmo please do tell :biggrin:

7 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Gizmo modified my car when I was in the UK last week, including activating the Audi throttle response and an accompanying VCDS option which apparently optimises this

4 hours ago, penguin17 said:

I wasn't aware of another, associated mod...any further info please? 

3 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Thanks.  @Gizmo please do tell :biggrin:

Go to adaptations (under 44 - steering Assist) and search ‘driving'

Under “Driving profile switchover’ as std it will be:

Incremental: controlled over time

44 - driver profile switchover

Change this to:

“Direct: controlled over threshold value”

44 direct contolled

What you will now have is more ‘normal’ throttle pedal.

I have tried the Audi mod and this one combined with my pedal box turned off, yes it is better but still not as good as the pedal box, HOWEVER once the ‘Driving profile’ has been changed it improved the pedal box even more!.

• Thanks 3

On 16/04/2018 at 21:09, john999boy said:

Yes it is. :thumbup:

Pretty town. We had three nights there on our ill-fated motorcycle trip to The Dolomites. Annecy has definitely seen a tourist or two!

We're in Aachen at the moment. Driving in Germany on the Autobahn is a whole 'nuther world. I've got the DTUK Pedal Box fitted and have had to increase the setting from City plus two to City plus three to keep out of everybody's way. Cruising at 3K RPM in top is a wondrous thing in my Sportline, but the downside is accidents like the on we saw on the A1 yesterday near Cologne. There was an articulated lorry sideways across the motorway and a single car carrier lorry on its side. We couldn't see over the barrier to see how many other vehicles were involved, but the traffic was stopped, and stopped for miles and miles – people standing outside their cars.  A dozen emergency vehicles with lights flashing were stuck in the mix, unable to get to the crash scene.

The police had the A1 blocked at the next exit and diverting traffic off the road, but that too was at a stand still for miles and miles. Sheesh.

Just made the change with OBD11 

Use first code for adaption. 

Seems like it does something with the dampers and steering also (DCC chassis). Might be imagination but it feels more "active" in adjusting dampers and steering.

Got no facts to back this up - just a feeling :)

2 minutes ago, Baverhanne said:

Seems like it does something with the dampers and steering also (DCC chassis). Might be imagination but it feels more "active" in adjusting dampers and steering.

The Audi mod? Or above?

41 minutes ago, Baverhanne said:

The "above".

Did Audi mod before and I think I felt a change. This added to that feeling + damper thingy feeling more active.

Hmm interesting, tempted to try ^^

I applied mod and got to say I feel huge difference. But could be brain thing hehe. I have engine set to Skoda not Audi. I feel all different. Pedal, dcc and steering. But as said could be just feeling

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 17:00, Baverhanne said:

Hi @Baverhanne

Care to share the adaptations / coding for the Audi and driving mode changes under OBDeleven? Haven't been brave enough to try any coding on mine yet. Thanks.

19 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:
On 18/04/2018 at 17:00, Baverhanne said:

Hi @Baverhanne

Care to share the adaptations / coding for the Audi and driving mode changes under OBDeleven? Haven't been brave enough to try any coding on mine yet. Thanks.

+ 1. I’ve been back and forth between the Audi /Skoda pedal. I’d be interested in this further mod. 

Also, updated my OBDeleven software last week and I can only get long coding details rather than the easier way of checking and unchecking boxes to make Skoda to Audi throttle change. Have clearly not set this up correctly and I’m afraid to do anything now.

14 minutes ago, Ashmount said:

Also, updated my OBDeleven software last week and I can only get long coding details rather than the easier way of checking and unchecking boxes to make Skoda to Audi throttle change. Have clearly not set this up correctly and I’m afraid to do anything now.

Hi @Ashmount. I wasn't aware there was ever an app for the Audi throttle mod on OBDeleven. Don't suppose you remember which one it was / what it was called?