My Record MPG to date

9 hours ago, Rodge said:

Yes, it's a bit annoying that they don't turn off automatically or that there's no indicating light.

I had always assumed they went on/off with the rear window,you know like every other non -vag car on the planet,and that the position on the mirror switch was to opt off if desired,anyhow now that they're turned of it makes f#@k all fifference

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodge said:

I finally remembered to check my heated mirrors today, to find that they've probably been on for the last few weeks. :-(

yup!! happened to me and the MPG jumped a bit once i did turn them off

Nah just let the meticulous 17 year old learner girl at it,she produces astounding figures all the time whilst not driving that slowly amazingly,best I've personally done is 62mpg and 82 on the green o meter.

• Like 1

There are some amazing figures there :thumbup:

Now mine on my 20mile commute today was 46.9 which I didn't think was too shabby...

Bear in mind that pre remap it was hitting mid 50's every day though :D

On 19/04/2018 at 14:03, shyVRS245 said:

I like the speed limit on the maxidot, very useful!:)

Me too, I'm hoping to try and set it on my new 67 plate Octy SE L estate, but I'm a little confused about what the unit actually is? In the dealer blurb they said that it's an Amundsen, then later on they say it's a Bolero?? I'll have to research the hardware number to see.:dull:

Here is my best to date in my 2.0D SE L DSG Estate 67plate, circa 2,000 miles on the clock. When the below picture was taken, I'd done about 25 miles on A and B roads over the Peak District, stopped off for a walk then set of back home. :thumbup:

IMG-20180420-WA0002.jpeg

On 4/19/2018 at 00:24, seanbrady49 said:

So took it handy enough coming home Today doing mostly 100kph the whole way home and this is the highest mpg I’ve got to date!

Not too shabby!

45E1A87E-E59D-413B-B3F9-010206B8DA16.jpeg

Ireland measures distance and speed using kilometres and sells fuel by the litre, so why on earth would it want to measure fuel economy in mpg? Before you can do anything useful with that figure relating to distance or cost you have to multiply it by 1.609344 then divide it 4.54609 – my mental maths certainly isnt that good! Would it not be much more sensible to measure economy normally using litres per 100 kilometres?

If the screen was showing 5.01 L/100 km (= 56.4 mpg), you'd know at a glance not only if your economy was good or bad, but you could work out in your head in 30 seconds what your last trip cost you and how much fuel you used/had left in the tank.

36 minutes ago, petecollier said:

Ireland measures distance and speed using kilometres and sells fuel by the litre, so why on earth would it want to measure fuel economy in mpg? Before you can do anything useful with that figure relating to distance or cost you have to multiply it by 1.609344 then divide it 4.54609 – my mental maths certainly isnt that good! Would it not be much more sensible to measure economy normally using litres per 100 kilometres?

If the screen was showing 5.01 L/100 km (= 56.4 mpg), you'd know at a glance not only if your economy was good or bad, but you could work out in your head in 30 seconds what your last trip cost you and how much fuel you used/had left in the tank.

Cos some of us are of "a certain age",personally I can flipflop between metric and imperial ,I chose mpg 'cos this site has a predominantly imperial fan base,plus conversion takes about 4 button pressed on the display.

56 minutes ago, 181ce said:

Cos some of us are of "a certain age",personally I can flipflop between metric and imperial ,I chose mpg 'cos this site has a predominantly imperial fan base,plus conversion takes about 4 button pressed on the display.

Not sure I agree with the suggestion that older folks can't cope with a simple one-time change after years doing something a different way. I may be wrong of course. Perhaps it's just me and every one over 60 is in fact franctically converting back into punts and shillings...  :D

Fair comment though about a lot of people in the UK using mpg (although that only half makes sense when you buy fuel by the litre - why can't there be a mpL option?). I also understand people may be happy using both miles and km, as I am, but don't tell me you can look an mpg figure and immediately know what that means to your pocket in anything other than the most general of terms – you may be of a "certain age" but I'm damn sure your education didn't include learning your 0.3540061899 times table by rote!

It just seems daft. I mean, you could measure your economy in tablesppons per furlong and get a meaningful figure like mpg, but as it doesnt relate readily to the units you use to buy the fuel or the units you use to measure the distance you travel, your missing out all the time on two thirds of the information. :blink: Just switch to the proper units, and get the feel that around 5 L/100 km is reasonable, but closer to 6 and you might want to ease up on the right foot a little. Dont worry what L/100 km equates to in irrelevant, obsolete units. Its the constant converting back and forth that causes the mental strife, not the metric units themselves.

5 minutes ago, petecollier said:

why can't there be a mpL option?

Because it'd be such a low number that everyone would scare themselves! I'm in that weird age bracket where i kinds chop and change so it all seems to make sense to me the way 'we' do things in the UK. Even though its completey illogical!

What you say is true though. Its kinda the same as a foreign language. You need to try and think in that language and not translate back to English in your head.

My best consumption has been about 42 on the trip to work. Roadtripping up to Buckie in a few weeks so will see what it does then!

On 5/3/2018 at 20:46, Pittsy said:

There are some amazing figures there :thumbup:

Now mine on my 20mile commute today was 46.9 which I didn't think was too shabby...

Bear in mind that pre remap it was hitting mid 50's every day though :D

Yours a diesel and if so what is it pushing out after the cheeky re-map!

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2018 at 14:27, ahenners said:

Not far off with a 2.0 TSI on a 4 hour journey ;)

mG7VEN.jpg

I’ve just done a 4hr journey and almost broke through 40mpg 

vRS DSG FL

0E31801A-3641-49AA-950F-0ED6DB3CCEAB.jpeg

Edited by KevC_Derby

6 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

I’ve just done a 4hr journey and almost broke through 40mpg 

vRS DSG FL

0E31801A-3641-49AA-950F-0ED6DB3CCEAB.jpeg

Bad traffic? Your average speed was quite a bit lower. I average more than 40mpg daily on my typical commute which is only 23 miles.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

Bad traffic? Your average speed was quite a bit lower. I average more than 40mpg daily on my typical commute which is only 23 miles.

Yeah there was quite a lot of traffic. 

My 19 mile commute is 37/38mpg at best if I go early and miss the traffic, if not then 33/34mpg usually

Can't get some of the diesel economies and the 1.0tsi looks interesting for the future however I'm generally very pleased with the day to day economy of my Superb II 1.4tsi (old style EA111) - will consider 1.0tsi next 

Current tank full (car computer has proven surprisingly accurate), not too bad for a big barge:- 

IMG_20180519_202028[1].jpg

Edited by bigjohn