Piano Black trim and scratches

The Piano black trim in my Superb has become horribly scratched though I have tried to be very careful when cleaning it (wet wipes + microfiber cloth). Is there a way to protect it so it wouldn't get worse, maybe even restore it or is replacing the panels with new ones the only option?

Edited by Puuriit

Autoglym SRP (or similar) works well to remove the scratches, but it’s crucial you never use a dry microfibre or any other dry cloth when cleaning in the future. Mopping up wet wipe residue won’t get a microfibre wet enough IMHO. A lint free cotton cloth (old tea towel) with lots of Windolene (mild glass cleaner with vinegar) cleans without damage on mine :thumbup:

14 hours ago, Puuriit said:

Anyway I got a bottle of Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 fine scratch and blemish remover today and tried it out.

The scratches are still there but it looks much better now. 

Looks a whole lot better.

A side question if I may. Do / could you use it on the external piano black on the B pillar? My interior isn't too bad, but the outside is scratched to hell. I'm looking for something to cut it back before sealing. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

A side question if I may. Do / could you use it on the external piano black on the B pillar? My interior isn't too bad, but the outside is scratched to hell. I'm looking for something to cut it back before sealing. Thanks.

I have a few scratches on the nearside B pillar too.  The same trim is also used around the sunroof and I find it difficult to clean and leave a shiny finish without smears.  I've tried exterior polish and glass polish.  The latter seems to be the better option, but is not ideal.

17 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Sure, I actually planned to try it on the external trim tomorrow. Will inform of the results.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 08:55, Puuriit said:

Sure, I actually planned to try it on the external trim tomorrow. Will inform of the results.

Just wondering how you got on with this? Have the same issues with the exterior B pillar trims on mine!

Excellent ideas guys, thank you!  I'm buying the Meguiars polish now! 

Does anyone know the best product to use on the chrome roof bars, could I try Autosol Chrome cleaner?

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, lkallas said:

@Puuriit how did you manage to take center console apart anad remove the piano black plastic trims?
Is there a topic about removing center console or something?

It is fairly easy to remove when pulled upwards. You just need a plastic trim removal tool. If you want, I can explain it further via PM in estonian. 

Has anybody tried to use the Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 to remove scratches from the clear plastic that covers the speedometer etc? Previous owner seems to have used something slightly abrasive and left lots of fine scratches over it, very annoying!   

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:07, Clarkey72 said:

Excellent ideas guys, thank you!  I'm buying the Meguiars polish now! 

Does anyone know the best product to use on the chrome roof bars, could I try Autosol Chrome cleaner?

Be careful as Autosol, the tube of liquid come very very fine paste wears out chrome over a number of years.  I only stopped using on my motor bike recently due to this problem.

8 hours ago, lkallas said:

Thanks Ikallas, looks like I can get the PlastX near me so will give that a try.

On 20/08/2018 at 13:54, ashr said:

Has anybody tried to use the Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 to remove scratches from the clear plastic that covers the speedometer etc? Previous owner seems to have used something slightly abrasive and left lots of fine scratches over it, very annoying!   

Hi I used  Meguiars Scratch X 2.0  after my old speedo cover had a meeting with a vacuum cleaner furniture brush.

Its working just fine.

For cleaning my piano black trim I use a car detailing brush hog hairs, not touching the trim with the vacuum cleaner.

Any ide to p[rotect first such piano blac next to gear box, rest will be sportline decors so no problme na Airco and gerbox decor is still ****y Black Piano

This is a problem with Piano Black trim is that it scratches so easily.. when I first got mine (2nd hand) it was already a see of spider web scratches and marks.

As I mentioned in a previous post that I will try to find.

• The plastic is very thin and therefor an abrasion is going to leave a mark
  • Microfiber cloths come in varying GSM piles and the thicker the pile the more it will scratch as the surface is comparatively soft compared to clear coat  
  • Use a can of compressed air (cheap from amazon) and a vacuum to remove the dust
  • Use something like glasses cleaner and apply to the surface direct, use a cloth to hold around the nossel of the can to avoid overspray  on other equipment
  • Always wipe in one direction with a really high quality glass cleaning cloth that is of lower GSM as possible without being cheap
  • Never repeatably rub back and forth with a cloth as it will scratch, go in one direction in one motion, fold the cloth to a clean section and wipe in one direction again. Apply more cleaning product to leave a barrier of protection.

Outside areas can be covered with a ClearBra to resist sratching

I want to order new plastic trim for mine and maybe butcher something like a IPAD mini screen protector (not tempered glass) and install from new.

Polishing the plastic will be nightmare

There's a really good video from Amo that is worth watching

23 hours ago, janmand said:

Hi I used  Meguiars Scratch X 2.0  after my old speedo cover had a meeting with a vacuum cleaner furniture brush.

Its working just fine.

For cleaning my piano black trim I use a car detailing brush hog hairs, not touching the trim with the vacuum cleaner.

Thanks Janmand, I was going to get the Scratch X 2.0 for the black trim so that will save buying something else as well

Hi guys!

I'm also waiting for my Superb Combi, due to be delivered week 38 / 39. In order to avoid (or at least try to minimize) scratches, I'm planning to apply GYEON Trim on all piano black surfaces (inside+outside) and all plastic parts outside+headlights.

Did anyone tried it already?

P.S.: Is there any guide / pictures / instruction on how to dismantle piano black plastic aroung gearbox handle?

BR,

Jure 

8 hours ago, koli99 said:

Hi guys!

I'm also waiting for my Superb Combi, due to be delivered week 38 / 39. In order to avoid (or at least try to minimize) scratches, I'm planning to apply GYEON Trim on all piano black surfaces (inside+outside) and all plastic parts outside+headlights.

Did anyone tried it already?

P.S.: Is there any guide / pictures / instruction on how to dismantle piano black plastic aroung gearbox handle?

BR,

Jure 

Haven't tried this protective solution.
I ordered new high gloss plastic for my combi doors (all 6 of them). Each of them costs 19 € and also ordered new trim for center console which is the most scratched surface right now. That costs 75 €.

Exterior trims I am going to cover with clear 3M Paint Protection Film.

Removing the center console trim is easy. You should start from the rear where the cupholders are. Carefully use thin plastic prying tool to get the first edge out.
I also attached image from workshop manual for illustration.

superb_mk3_center_console.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 30/08/2018 at 18:09, lkallas said:

I ordered new high gloss plastic for my combi doors (all 6 of them). Each of them costs 19 € and also ordered new trim for center console which is the most scratched surface right now. That costs 75 €.

Removing the center console trim is easy. You should start from the rear where the cupholders are. Carefully use thin plastic prying tool to get the first edge out.

Hi. Any one knows how to remove dashboard trims and door trims? 

On 26/04/2018 at 08:37, BriskodaJeff said:

When I bought my superb  a friend suggested I have the pillars wrapped in carbon, as it was in to have limo film on back windows, it seemed a good idea, it looks great

20200702_215228.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 30/08/2018 at 18:09, lkallas said:

Hello everyone

I have an annoying rattle while driving  coming from the lower part of the piano plastic trim , where the cupholder lines with it. Once I press hardly on it, the rattle stops.

I'm trying to open it and put some insulation, but I'm afraid to break the plastic as it looks quite fragile.

I intend to lift the lower part where the cupholder is , nothing else.

Should I simply lift it upwards? How is it held in place?

Thanks