BUILDUPS OF DIRT INSIDE REAR DOORS

Tenchfisher

The problem is that the wheel arch is incorporated as part of the rear door panel. Never saw that on any car ever.

My dealer sales guy suggested putting on mudflaps. Where?

How did that get past the design stage?

Coincidentally Skoda Customer service just called in the middle of writing this to enquire about the repair/service of the tallgate lock. I informed her that the lock now works ok, with a hefty slam. Mentioned the rear door road dirt problem, It's a design characteristic.

Also, the fact that I waited two and a half hours in a cold showroom whilst they tracked down the rattle to a faulty offside tailgate strut but didn't have the part in stock. I called them weeks later to check what was happening and made an appointment. Fair enough, they collected the car and had it all day. Gas support struts are quite cheap and if one has gone it's likely that the other would follow so I put stickers on them requesting that both be replaced. Car was returned with worksheet stating that after strip down of tailgate trim and the rattle still being present- which they previously did on 21st December, they had taken struts from a donor car and determined that the nearside strut was faulty so they replaced just that one.

Car works ok. They have uprated the software on the satnav (that caught us out on the new road to Mere near Knutsford).

Access is easy, automatic gearbox works fine. Brakes quite sharp and reassuring. Fuel consumption was 50mpg. Since the latest fill up it's dropped to 45mpg. Probably caused by anti waxing agents in winter diesel which causes drop in economy.

The crap on the inside of the rears is a disappointment.....I agree, how did it get signed off?.....not a deal breaker but a bloody nuisance.....I wonder if those lads in the far east will come up with anything to combat it.....they (AliExpress) seem to do lots of 'add-ons' for the Karoq and indeed other models.  

Edited by Berisford

On 04/05/2018 at 13:43, Tenchfisher said:

I have seen this issue mentioned on other forum topics, but I reckon it is worth raising in its own right. I am getting regular buildups of dirt inside the edge of the rear doors when driving in wet weather. This is being thrown up by the tyres and I'm having to clean inside the doors every few days. I raised this problem with my dealer this morning and he had a look at the doors. There is a rubber strip mounted just inside on the wheel arch, which should stop this happening, but on my car the contact between the door and the rubber strip is not satisfactory. In fact, the dealer could see daylight between the door and the strip, which should not happen. He then checked a newly delivered Karoq and found exactly the same problem. He has promised to raise this at a technical meeting he is attending next week.

Has anybody else experienced the same problem? If it is common it points to a design fault, which needs rectifying, but It may be that only some cars are getting this problem. The seal definitely looks too low  on my car.

On 19/12/2018 at 14:12, kriskelland said:

I know this is an old post but I have just noticed that you can see daylight through the rear outer door seals. loads of mud and road debris, difficult to get in  or reach in to get anything out of the car without getting mud on clothing. Any one know if the issue is being sorted?

2018 Karok 2.0 Tdi Edition 4X4 3000 miles. Not a huge deal, but nice not to get mud on clothing.

Chris

Yes noticed this on my 2018 Koroq now you have mentioned it will say something on my next service

On 04/05/2018 at 22:33, Skoffski said:

Skoda and VW have been manufacturing cars for over a century and for the last decades still never got the hang of Door Seals, Belt, Chains Tensioners, Owners Manuals, 

Websites / Configurators, Translations from German, Czech, Spanish to English or American English or converting km to miles.

Vorsprung Durch Technik = hardly matters the vehicles sell.

Why bother actually testing properly, resolving matters, just discontinue models and introduce new ones with the same design, manufacturing, materials or workmanship / quality control.

Its down to accountants who bean count. Cars are built down to a price and cost savings are number one priority for maximum profit. Engineers can design a really good product but the execution is overseen by men in grey suits. An example which sticks in my throat is the Triumph Dolomite Sprint with its advanced 16 valve engine and reputation as a BMW beater. The engine was a pile of trouble due to cost cutting and the materials used based on cost.

Edited by edbostan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, edbostan said:

Its down to accountants who bean count. Cars are built down to a price and cost savings are number one priority for maximum profit. Engineers can design a really good product but the execution is overseen by men in grey suits. 

That is apparently the reason the Golf MKVI was brought into production far earlier than VW had intended, as they could manufacture them far cheaper than the MKV. 

The VW Modular Systems was a cunning stunt,  and would be fantastic if VW Group stop inbuilding faults across platforms, designs, components and models.

Same faults year after year for the past decade and the decade before.

If they had not cheated they would not have been caught cheating and if they started building with better QC of vehicles then they might deserve the reputation they used to spin that they had for reliability.

Maybe Face Lift Karoq & Kodiaq will have the snagging issues deleted.

But it has never been the case with Fabia with Mk2's and Mk3's having common faults and failings.

Same with Octavia, & Superb or Rapids.

The Scala and Kamiq should be as good as they can be,

no dodgy parts, good heating, demisting, ventilation, and no freezing fuel filler flaps.....  Every opportunity given past failings to get them right from the first delivered til the end of production.

VW drops platforms, changes to modules.mhtml

Insight_ Has Volkswagen discovered the Holy Grail of carmakers_ _ Reuters.mhtml

VW extends lead in common architectures -- but there are risks.mhtml

Just been looking at the Telegraph long term car test on the Karoq. Seems thay have had problems with rear door seals. With aknowledgements to the Telegraph as the source of the picture, not only has the outer door seal fallen off, but you can see the large build up of mud where the bottom door seal is.

skoda-door-seals_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqtM3ZXxV42fQENILgObxjOFzt7SZsQQ7h3oKyATfgi0w.jpg

• Like 2

Trivial issues.  Little matters that can be dismissed as unimportant... 

Never going to stop What Car / Autocar making a Karoq Car of the Year or SUV of the year. 

Like engine issues they are blind to even when they are blindingly obvious. , 

All that hospitality, sunburn and loan cars and not ones they buy using their own Cash Money.

Just noticed that its not only Skoda and SEAT that have the rear passenger doors forming part of the wheel arch. Look at any modern Range Rover or the Jaguar E Pace  and F Pace. No doubt there are more too. I wonder how they fare?

317998B4-4715-4AA1-A811-F073386DC23C.png

69433555-C958-4029-A6E6-5D97F333A0E5.jpeg

On 25/01/2019 at 15:05, Shuttlebasher said:

This is what I have just found its getting passed the door and frame seal.

This is the seal that separates the interior from the exterior, it doesn't looking to be getting past?

Picture1.thumb.png.10b58a21cc6c509e41dc5727b69f322f.png

On 23/01/2019 at 19:25, Berisford said:

The crap on the inside of the rears is a disappointment

I would be more disappointed by the meaningless, so made up name of the car. Did they record the sound made by breaking the rib cage of a crash test dummy by the steering wheel?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RicardoM said:

I would be more disappointed by the meaningless, so made up name of the car. Did they record the sound made by breaking the rib cage of a crash test dummy by the steering wheel?

Thats good.....coming from the owner of a Skoda Felicia.......or translated........Skoda Happy Things.

sounds like the sort of name Datsun gave to the 1970s products.:D

Look up the word seal and not the floating type not doing it’s job I agree not a major issue but still doesn’t make it right you would not be happy if your washing machine didn’t do it’s job 

I know it’s just down to a poor design end of story and to me end of discussion

Edited by Shuttlebasher