Blind spot detection in real life

agedbriar

I'm considering Blind spot detection, which is an extra option on our market. I'm wondering:

- do you find it useful in real life?
- do you ever deactivate it?

- would you miss it?

In answer to your questions

- do you find it useful in real life? - yes, all the time
- do you ever deactivate it? - no

- would you miss it? - yes, for sure

It's one of those things, if you have not had it then you don't miss, but once it is there, you find it really useful especially when someone is joining a motorway from a slip road and try to cut in - you know they are there.

I have it on one car and one without and now miss not having it on that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My last car, a Kia Sportage top of the range First Edition, had blind spot detection along with panoramic sunroof, powered tailgate and other gizmos I seldom used.

I found the Blind Spot detection loud and intrusive for the most part although it may well work better on the Karok to be fair.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

My last car, a Kia Sportage top of the range First Edition, had blind spot detection along with panoramic sunroof, powered tailgate and other gizmos I seldom used.

I found the Blind Spot detection loud and intrusive for the most part although it may well work better on the Karok to be fair.

I have it on a non Skoda and the sound can be turned off. The lights in the mirrors and the dash display work well.

1 minute ago, The Zee said:

I have it on a non Skoda and the sound can be turned off. The lights in the mirrors and the dash display work well.

Similar to me with the Subaru XV, the sound can be adjusted in volume or turned off, I find it very useful. The detection range is quite long so it gives good warning. One of those bits of tech that I would want to be included in any new car I owned.

It comes as part of the driver assistance pack in the UK for £350 on the edition model.

As The Zee says above its very useful and I specifically specced it on mine.

I had it on the Qashqai before and you start to rely on it.

There is no sound, it just lights up yellow in the side mirror.

For me, I could live without it but it's great when you've had a lapse in concentration or want to jump into a gap in traffic. 

For my partner it's a lot more useful as she's not as confident a motorway driver. 

10 minutes ago, TheRoq said:

It comes as part of the driver assistance pack in the UK for £350 on the edition model.

:o I never thought to find out if the volume could be turned down or switched off!!! Doh!!

I just switched it off after being frightened to death every few minutes!

3 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

:o I never thought to find out if the volume could be turned down or switched off!!! Doh!!

I just switched it off after being frightened to death every few minutes!

Does it make a sound if you indicate when the blind spot light is on then?

I've never tried it.

Just now, TheRoq said:

I've never tried it.

Sorry I was referring to my previous car, a Kia Sportage!

Just now, TheRoq said:

I've never tried it.

On the Karoq? No sound at all. 

The light is on steady when there's a car in your blind spot, then flashes if you signal to turn into that lane, or start steering into that lane. 

2 minutes ago, LBFS said:

On the Karoq? No sound at all. 

The light is on steady when there's a car in your blind spot, then flashes if you signal to turn into that lane, or start steering into that lane. 

Now thats much better than the Kia.

10 minutes ago, TheRoq said:

I've never tried it.

I cannot comment on the Karoq as I haven't got it yet, but on the Mazda if you indicate to pull out it makes a sound and the display changes from Orange to Red.

The BLIS on the Karoq is far better than my previous Kuga. As has been stated, the Karoq picks up vehicles from quite a distance back and it reacts proportionally to the speed of the approaching vehicle. The Ford system only operated when the approaching vehicle was so close that it would have been too late if there was a fast moving vehicle coming past.

The only problem I've had with Blind spot detection is that it's automatically deactivated when you are towing (obvious really!!) but once you get used to it being there, you miss it when it isn't.

9 hours ago, TheRoq said:

Now I'm worried, cos I was of the impression it came as standard on the Edition - along with Lane Assist?

It's  listed as being included in my spec document anyway, that my dealer printed off for me a few weeks before I ordered in Feb. 

Edited by anna_banana

24 minutes ago, anna_banana said:

Now I'm worried, cos I was of the impression it came as standard on the Edition - along with Lane Assist?

It's  listed as being included in my spec document anyway, that my dealer printed off for me a few weeks before I ordered in Feb. 

Its not standard on the edition.

You’d better check you’ve got the assistance package on your options list if you want it.

Well it’s on my edition and I didn’t add anything other than heated window and spare wheel. So yes it should be there along wit( lane assist.  You just don’t get the radar auto cruise control thing.  But 8 had that on my Octavia and never used it. Hence why I didn’t pay extra to get it this time.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Madasaskaven said:

Well it’s on my edition and I didn’t add anything other than heated window and spare wheel. So yes it should be there along wit( lane assist.  You just don’t get the radar auto cruise control thing.  But 8 had that on my Octavia and never used it. Hence why I didn’t pay extra to get it this time.  

Same here, it's on our Edition and I never paid for it, thought it was standard.

Our only options were .spare wheel, heated screen and scuff plates.

Edited by Nicky_P
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, The Zee said:

I cannot comment on the Karoq as I haven't got it yet, but on the Mazda if you indicate to pull out it makes a sound and the display changes from Orange to Red.

I have it and went to pull out. The steering fights you to let you realise as well

Can't comment on the Karoq, but I have this on my Superb. It's a great bit of kit, but is there IMHO to solve a problem of Skoda's own making. Namely that the door mirrors are simply too small for the car. Didn't have (or need) it on the previous SII Superb.

Edited by BriskodaJeff