MPG of 1.6 diesel

Hi all,

new to site so if this has been asked before then i apologies.

done about 2K in my new Octavia 1.6 Diesel . Ave MPG readout is always in the 60-70MPG bracket after any journey but im only getting around 600 miles from a full 50LT fill up.  

even with my poor math's that's  only around 56MPG.  i was getting more then that out of my 62 plate Octavia.

should i contact the garage?

both short a long journeys.  the readout is average and I'm getting anything between 60-70 at any time. 

my point is it is either doing 56mpg and the readout is a work of fiction or I have another problem.

So are you actually putting 50 Litres into the tank when you fill up ?

The tank capacity is only supposed to be 50 Litres so surely it would have to be empty first.

The displayed MPG is often a calculated value based upon several "assumed" values which have errors built-in to them. The speedometer, for example, is not 100% accurate. It usually reads low (so that 60 mph indicated is actually closer to 56 mph). This can also affect the mpg as this over-optimistic figure is used to calculate the miles traveled, and hence the MPG.

Yes, hard to believe I know, but car manufactures might actually be massaging the figures to show better MPG than they really get..... (and let's not even start with exhaust emissions !)

Hi Bod20

I think you are absolutely right.  however, the Skoda advertising for this car says "Fuel economy: 71 mpg combined (67 city, 74 highway) "

so why do you only get 57MPG max???

by the way, completely empty tank is 55lt (or the garage pumps are also wrong!!!)

The manual actually states "The fuel tank has a capacity of about 50 litres, including a reserve of approx. 6 litres".

Is it just me ore does that seem ambiguous and vague ? Does that 50 litres INCLUDE the reserve, or is the actual total capacity 56 litres ? And the words "about" and "approx" ? Don't they know how much the tank holds ? They manufactured it after all.

From your experience, it sounds like the actual capacity is ABOUT 56 litres APPROX.

The only way to get close to accurate real-world MPG figures is to brim the tank, note the mileage, then drive for a bit. Then go back to the same garage, do exactly the same brim procedure, then note the new mileage and calculate the difference and how much fuel you put in. Then you'll get the real MPG.... except that doesn't take into account any inaccuracy in the odometer readings.

Not sure this will help, I've just checked my company car mileage logs, I have an Audi A3 with the 1.6 diesel (same engine?) and over the last 6688 miles I've averaged 48.5 mpg, that's been done either 'making progress' on the motorway network or sitting in traffic in Birmingham & Sheffield, I think the on board trip is showing an average of 53 mpg.

I'd be happy with your 56 mpg - but not as happy as my company would be - they have the 'official' mpg as 74.3 mpg :blush:

In my experience the trip computer is pretty accurate when the journey types are always the same but can vary by up to 10% if your journeys are mixed or very different over a tank.

What amount of fuel did you actually fill because in my car I dont think i've ever added close to 50L.

Max is usually around 47 but sometimes its as low as 43L even though the indicator is well into the red.

Same here, when light comes on and a few miles more then 45-47 litres.

Would have to be on fumes to get 50 litres in.

The readout in these cars is not a work of fiction, it is a complete fantasy.

Mine routinely shows around 64 - 67 after a 250'ish  mile journey, over all types of road from city centre stop/start to M'way cruising.. My records show that over the last 4783 mile it ACTUALLY averaged 57.87 mpg.

My previous 2.0L Superb exhibited the same trick. The display usually showed 55 - 57 mpg, the ACTUAL figure over approx. 120,000 miles was 48.71 mpg.

Spot readings or a single tankful are pretty meaningless, only a couple of thousand miles will show the true mpg of any vehicle. There are simply too many variables in a lesser test.

redmike, 

where have you ever seen a Skoda advert saying a Skoda car does any particular MPG driven on a road outside a building with people in the car?

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

PS,

Odd that the Octavia with a 50 litre tank can get only the amount people here are saying yet a Fabia with a 45 litre tank can be bimmed to over 50 litres with still fuel in, and without 'venting'.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BJM said:

The readout in these cars is not a work of fiction, it is a complete fantasy.

Perhaps yours is broken or needs adjusting...

Utwk3E.jpg

eNIKrT.jpg

Calculated fill up average over nearly 6500 miles is 38.59mpg. Indicated long term on trip computer over 3450 is 39.6mpg. I'd say that's pretty damn accurate as things go!

I've had the onboard trip being optimistic and on a couple of occasions pessimistic too. 56mpg is ok, although I've been averaging between that and 60mpg in my 2.0tdi.

Somehow, over the last 2 months my mpg improved considerably. I have no idea why, the only thing has been the warmer weather.

Your right foot is by far the biggest factor altering mpg. Motorway cruise control at 72mph is 60+mpg, but go up to 75mph and it drops to 55mpg at best.

10 hours ago, redmike said:

Hi all,

done about 2K in my new Octavia 1.6 Diesel . Ave MPG readout is always in the 60-70MPG bracket after any journey but im only getting around 600 miles from a full 50LT fill up.  

even with my poor math's that's  only around 56MPG.  i was getting more then that out of my 62 plate Octavia.

My manual 1.6tdi was similar to yours to begin with it was only once it got a fair few miles on it that it really improved, at least 10-20k. Before I sold it with 50k miles it was easy to get 60mpg (fuelly) not trip computer. I would say the trip computer is unreliable rather than inaccurate. I also rarely managed to put much over 45 litres in the tank. It was far happier at 50-60mph. No 6th gear (manual) really spoilt it at 70+ on motorway. Which is why I now have a 2.0tdi Passat. 

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Perhaps yours is broken or needs adjusting...

Utwk3E.jpg

eNIKrT.jpg

Calculated fill up average over nearly 6500 miles is 38.59mpg. Indicated long term on trip computer over 3450 is 39.6mpg. I'd say that's pretty damn accurate as things go!

My average on the long term display is showing 49.4 MPG over the last 4000 miles. I’ve tracked every fill up using MPG Clac for iOS and it shows 48.8 MPG over the same period. The short term trip is a bit off but it settles nicely in the long term. I have had it higher than that but it’s taken a dive recently as my commute has changed from long straight roads to slightly windier ones so what can you do haha

• Like 1

My18 1.6 dsg won't do over 540miles to the tank even with eco on and never going over 70mph.

Done 7k in it now and the trip computer is sitting around 57.4mpg. A lot better than the first 2k where I struggled to get over 54mpg.

600 miles to the tank is amazing 

thanks for all your comments to my post :)

seems that my first assumption is correct in that the on-board MPG readout IS a work of fiction, along with the manufactures stated MPG for the car.

having said all of that im not disappointed as this is my second Octavia, and my not be my last! 

Just a point on that. Skoda don’t make an MPG claim. They list the EU’s tested MPG figure in their literature. They make cars to get as good a result as they can in the test, sure, but they don’t actually claim a figure. It will also take a few thousand miles for the engine to loosen up and start to give better economy.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, redmike said:

Hi all,

The car will need a few thousands miles for the engine to "bed" in, the exhaust manifold to start coating itself so it sort of gas flows itself so you probably need about 10K miles to see it at its best.

Friends has the 1.6D 7 speed DSG and that is capable of an indicated 80 mpg if you keep it at the 55-60 mph toodle.  My 1.4 TSI DSG will do an indicted 65 mpg doing similar sort of running.

The speedo and trip are around 4% over-reading according to GPS so I am acrtually getting about 62 mpg and just over 600 miles before needing to refuel which I do at around 10-20 miles, found a shell garage this time but usually use Tescos fuel.

I usually use the Eco mode as the coast feature with the DSG can add another 2 or 3 mpg compared to Normal mode non-coasting.  Combined with lively acceleration very pleased.

This 50 litre fuel tank is an utter pain and l find very difficult to fill up much of the expansion volume so I stick to the fill slow and after first click and stop at third click to the next pound and get get in the full 50 litres just about.  When one puts the fuel cap back on when can hear the glug of the valve allowing the access of the main tank to the expansion area.  Worst of the 20 Skoda I have had in regard to filling but otherwise a brilliant car in nearly all respects.  Only solution to the fuel tank size/filling was to buy a Superb instead of the Octy sadly.    

14 hours ago, Offski said:

redmike, 

where have you ever seen a Skoda advert saying a Skoda car does any particular MPG driven on a road outside a building with people in the car?

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

PS,

Odd that the Octavia with a 50 litre tank can get only the amount people here are saying yet a Fabia with a 45 litre tank can be bimmed to over 50 litres with still fuel in, and without 'venting'.

Front wheel drive Karoq's have 50 litre fuel tanks yet Four wheel drive versions get 55 litre fuel tanks because Skoda realised they will get worse fuel consumption but wanted both owners to have a similar range.

58 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

The car will need a few thousands miles for the engine to "bed" in, the exhaust manifold to start coating itself so it sort of gas flows itself so you probably need about 10K miles to see it at its best.

Friends has the 1.6D 7 speed DSG and that is capable of an indicated 80 mpg if you keep it at the 55-60 mph toodle.  My 1.4 TSI DSG will do an indicted 65 mpg doing similar sort of running.

The speedo and trip are around 4% over-reading according to GPS so I am acrtually getting about 62 mpg and just over 600 miles before needing to refuel which I do at around 10-20 miles, found a shell garage this time but usually use Tescos fuel.

I usually use the Eco mode as the coast feature with the DSG can add another 2 or 3 mpg compared to Normal mode non-coasting.  Combined with lively acceleration very pleased.

This 50 litre fuel tank is an utter pain and l find very difficult to fill up much of the expansion volume so I stick to the fill slow and after first click and stop at third click to the next pound and get get in the full 50 litres just about.  When one puts the fuel cap back on when can hear the glug of the valve allowing the access of the main tank to the expansion area.  Worst of the 20 Skoda I have had in regard to filling but otherwise a brilliant car in nearly all respects.  Only solution to the fuel tank size/filling was to buy a Superb instead of the Octy sadly.    

Just checked 3 fill ups from my old Superb MK3 16 plate 1.4Tsi manual hatch. 66 litre fuel tank.

1. 699 miles on 65.42 litres.

2. 715 miles on 66.0 litres.

3. 735 miles on 66.46 litres.

Seems to be the answer if you want a big boot and greater range buy a Superb. Great engine by the way for motorway cruising.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just checked 3 fill ups from my old Superb MK3 16 plate 1.4Tsi manual hatch. 66 litre fuel tank.

1. 699 miles on 65.42 litres.

2. 715 miles on 66.0 litres.

3. 735 miles on 66.46 litres.

Seems to be the answer if you want a big boot and greater range buy a Superb. Great engine by the way for motorway cruising.

I presume that is on the car odometer reading.   So the above is between 45 and 50 mpg based on the car's instruments, a question would be how inaccurate is the odometer/speedometer ie is 4% over-reading like my Octy?    If I am getting 50 to 60 mpg in my Octy and half a second to 60 mph quicker than the similarly engined Superb as well, would I swap that for another 15 litres and therefore another 100 miles range , not sure, even if the prices were about the same price.   

Back to diesels, many people are not buying them now as some are concerned that owners will want access to the many UK cities that are shaping up to look at charging cars to enter cities and many of the recent schemes target diesels more than petrol cars, irrespective of CO2 as NOX, and PMs are seen as the pollution in focus.   Residuals are suffering at the moment as seen when I could have bought a diesel model for less than the petrol one.    As said, 1.6D combined with the 7 speed DSG is a great combo for amazing MPG.   I like the fact the computer shows up to 300 mpg and I love wafting along with it showing about 100 mpg and above much of time, only slipping back to 40-50 mpg on hills, damn those hills !  

5 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

I like the fact the computer shows up to 300 mpg and I love wafting along with it showing about 100 mpg and above much of time, only slipping back to 40-50 mpg on hills, damn those hills !  

Perhaps we have a different understanding of wafting along... The only time you will see 100mpg or above is when it's practically coasting, i.e. going downhill. It's hardly much of the time, it's probably a few % of your journey at best.

Even a hybrid which ignores the electricity consumed will struggle to see above 100mpg "much of the time".

The MPG reading from my car is typically optimistic by about 1-2 MPG, which doesn't seem too bad to me. There have been a couple of occasions when I've achieved better than it claimed.
I get a similar range from my 110 PS Octavia's 50 litre petrol tank as I got from my old 100ish PS Focus's 55 litre tank (about 500 miles in both cases). Again, doesn't seem too bad.
What does seem harder to judge is how much fuel is left in the Octavia. The warning light in the Focus came on at exactly 45 litres used.

• Like 1