Tyre life

Just had a peep at my front tyres

15k km they're down to about 2.5mm

Fully expect the main stealer to tell me it needs tyres when it goes for its service.

It would seem the little itty bitty lawnmower engine doesn't help tyre life any .

Plan is swap em round and dump all 4 together at I'd expect 40k km max. And put on a nice set of hankooks bye bye half the tyre noise (bridgestones)

Do you floor it a lot from standstill? I managed nearly 30k miles from a front set of Continental Sport Contact 5s on a VRS. A tyre not particularly known for lasting.

Bridgestones usually wear well from my experience, because they seem to be a harder compound. Offset is that they are crashy and noisy.

Edited by ahenners

1 minute ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I only got 8-1/2 miles from my P Zeros on the front of my vRS 245

8.5 miles? that must have been some donut? :D

2 hours ago, 181ce said:

Just had a peep at my front tyres

15k km they're down to about 2.5mm

Fully expect the main stealer to tell me it needs tyres when it goes for its service.

It would seem the little itty bitty lawnmower engine doesn't help tyre life any .

Plan is swap em round and dump all 4 together at I'd expect 40k km max. And put on a nice set of hankooks bye bye half the tyre noise (bridgestones)

Might be worth swapping the fronts to rears and vice versa. Unless you've been doing handbrake turns, the rears should have more meat on them

Should get more miles from the tyres and you'll have worn them all down to the same depth.

Save you a few quid as well :thumbup:

Just now, tunedude said:

Might be worth swapping the fronts to rears and vice versa. Unless you've been doing handbrake turns, the rears should have more meat on them

Should get more miles from the tyres and you'll have worn them all down to the same depth.

Save you a few quid as well 

Yep that the plan

How much is left on the rears? It looks likely that with only 2.5 mm left the current fronts will wear down on the back long before the current rears wear out on the front. You've got no chance of getting another 25 Mm out of them if you've used 5.5 mm in only 15 Mm.

Ditto to the above, doubt fronts at 2.5mm will last to 40k miles on rear... Personally, I change tyres at 3mn on account of how dangerous they become in heavy rain (forget going anywhere in snow). Same with wifes Zafira - I will happily spend a bit more money knowing she and kids have decent tyres and tyre depth no matter what the heavens throw down....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodge said:

How much is left on the rears? It looks likely that with only 2.5 mm left the current fronts will wear down on the back long before the current rears wear out on the front. You've got no chance of getting another 25 Mm out of them if you've used 5.5 mm in only 15 Mm.

The K is above the M on the keyboard.

8 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

1000km = 1Mm  Kilometer / Megameter.

I'm intrigued now, I'll have to look at the tyres on mine. But I do use winters for half the year and 90% of the kilometers are from motorways.

- Bret

• Like 1

Irish republic road surfacing is quite aggressive I found while living there, apart from the 200km the EU resurfaced for the Tour de France in 98, that was like a billiard table!

I had a 2002 Primera that I got >45,000 miles out of - mainly because I was travelling to Dublin and then getting the ferry to the UK most weeks. Tyre centre couldn’t believe the mileage when I replaced them.

9 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

The OP quoted distances in thousands of kilometres. I could use "kkm" if you prefer, or maybe just billions of millimetres?

So just to clarify some points

kM ie shy of 10k miles

Hoping to knock 25k miles out of the set when I swap them.

There isnt a snowballs chance in hell they're hitting changed before they hit the wear bars

Most of my driving is on roads that would make fine WRC stages

I guess the point of the original post was to illustrate that the little lightweight lawnmower engine doesn't do a lot for tyrelife driving style and road surface make a huge difference.

It's nice to have something that doesn't eat all 4 tyres at the same rate again.

Tyres are wearing absolutely perfectly evenly.

Hankooks/Verdestiens tyre of choice

Edited by 181ce

2.0 Tdi. Have had Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front for about 30,000 miles, down to average of 2.5 mm (left is at 2, the right at 3). Rears are at about 5mm after 59,000 miles. Never known tyres last so long on a car. Wouldn't mind but the Eagles are the worst tyres I've ever had and the lease company won't replace them just yet.

Had Kendra tyres on the front and Dunlop’s on the rear when I got my new work car. Soon changed them for a set of Dunlop’s. 

Small engine on larger car may well make you drive harder, which will kill the front quicker then Novichock can kill an ex Russian spy!

1 hour ago, mrgf said:

Small engine on larger car may well make you drive harder, which will kill the front quicker then Novichock can kill an ex Russian spy!

Or South Korea sending the Germans for an early bath! Hope they hadn't booked the Hotel for the knockout stage.:D

the maybe 'Ex' Russian Spy and current British spy seems to have not died that quickly,

same as those tyres bigger vehicles that first got small capacity engines have not.  eg Ford Focus.

You would need to be spinning those tyres to make any difference would you not if you drive the same speeds as a bigger car but have a lighter engine in the front. Or doing lots of harder cornering, but again you have a lighter front end.

Edited by Offski

Just replaced the P Zeroes on the rear of the VRS 4x4 this week after 28k miles as some wear bars were flush with the tread. Fronts still have 4 mm left. Put the new tyres on the front and front to back to wear them out quicker and take any driveline pressure out of the rear power train from transmission wind up. 

• Like 1