wheel centre caps

centre caps on my 2.0 TDi dsg SEl are starting to show signs of corrosion working from their outside towards centre. Car first registered march 2016, I acquired it March of this year with 5k miles, now has over 10k. Anyone has this issue and what replies from dealers with respect of replacements.

Thanks for any answers.

Edited by Duracell
mispelling

Dealers seem to replace without issue. I never saw the point though. The next set would just do the same and I have better things to do that visit a dealer every 6 months for new centre caps which few will even look at. 

• Like 1

I had no luck getting them replaced under approved used warranty but then the dealer used was a poor one and not where I bought it from.

Replaced all 4 with genuine ones for about £20 last summer. Corroded again already a year later.

8 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I had no luck getting them replaced under approved used warranty but then the dealer used was a poor one and not where I bought it from.

Replaced all 4 with genuine ones for about £20 last summer. Corroded again already a year later.

Yep, I did the same.

Then I bought some four for £6 jobbies off ebay.  Look the same and seem to be lasting longer although the plastic was much flimsier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Yep, I did the same.

Then I bought some four for £6 jobbies off ebay.  Look the same and seem to be lasting longer although the plastic was much flimsier.

I think I'm going for copies next time :)

I bought a set of copies from an eBay seller, and although the price was cheap, the quality was poor.

They looked virtually identical to the genuine ones, but the plastic was hard and shiny. I managed to quite easily snap the clips on two of them trying to force them into the centre hole. 

On 07/07/2018 at 20:19, Duracell said:

centre caps on my 2.0 TDi dsg SEl are starting to show signs of corrosion working from their outside towards centre. Car first registered march 2016, I acquired it March of this year with 5k miles, now has over 10k. Anyone has this issue and what replies from dealers with respect of replacements.

Thanks for any answers.

Still within warranty so should be replaced ... may have to argue it a bit but the low mileage is on your side.  The water gets underneath them and then they start to lift.  The brine solution that they use with pre wet salt on the roads has a detrimental effect and if the cars not kept clean during winter months it hammers the car as a whole.

Its important to me that they are right and in good condition - I even line mine up so that when you look at the wheel/ badge the valve is directly above :D

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

Its important to me that they are right and in good condition - I even line mine up so that when you look at the wheel/ badge the valve is directly above :D

I've done that with my new ones as well. You've got to everything straight on your car haven't you?

You would have thought after all these year the quality would have been improved but I suppose they make even more money selling replacements to motorists with pride

• 6 months later...
On 08/07/2018 at 09:27, Damo said:

I got these and they’re brilliant

Quality is not far off Original ones

fit nice and tight as well... perfect

I don't suppose you still have your old ones? Looking for some to have a go at modifying to match my black alloys (want to remove the chrome and polish up)

I had three sets in 2 and half years on my 2016 VRS. If the dealer has the cheek to say its your fault be sure to invite him/her out for a walk amongst their used stock and point it out on every single skoda sat there thats over 6 months old.

10 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

I had three sets in 2 and half years on my 2016 VRS. If the dealer has the cheek to say its your fault be sure to invite him/her out for a walk amongst their used stock and point it out on every single skoda sat there thats over 6 months old.

Mine's over 5 years old and they're only just starting to go at the edges, I just fancy trying to do something a little different and a set that have already corroded would be a great starting point. 

Mine went within the first few months. 

Skoda suggested that it's down to the cleaners used by some car washers, that reacts with the plastic. Done it to my wheel nut caps too.

49 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Mine went within the first few months. 

Skoda suggested that it's down to the cleaners used by some car washers, that reacts with the plastic. Done it to my wheel nut caps too.

The discolleration of the wheel nut covers can be down to harsh wheel cleaning solutions or in some cases just age but disagree it would affect the wheel centers.  My wheel nut covers were discoloured so i took them off and rattle canned them with Hammerite satin spray,   I had a can in the garage and they looked like new when I had finished.

Edited by ScoutCJB

Just now, ScoutCJB said:

The discolleration of the wheel nut covers can be down to harsh wheel cleaning solutions or in some cases just age but disagree it would affect the wheel centers.  My wheel nut covers were discoloured so i took them off and painted them with Hammerite satin spray,   I had a can in the garage and they looked like new when I had finished.

I noticed that pretty much every MY17 Octavia I looked at, had what looked like white marks around the centre caps, including my own. I thought someone had tried to steal mine, as the effect looked like someone had gouged at the sides to try and pry it off, however noticed it was the same on all of them.

12 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

I noticed that pretty much every MY17 Octavia I looked at, had what looked like white marks around the centre caps, including my own. I thought someone had tried to steal mine, as the effect looked like someone had gouged at the sides to try and pry it off, however noticed it was the same on all of them.

Quite often the tyre places dont have the relevant cap removal tool and so result to pliers :@

White marks are due to water under the top plastic film around the edge and the adhesive then turns white. Same with most shiny trims on Skoda including bonnet/boot badges and chrome trim. Cheap design, probably cost cents to produce.

Tyre fitters will pop the centre caps out once a wheel is removed by simply pushing them out from behind. No damage caused.

26 minutes ago, xman said:

White marks are due to water under the top plastic film around the edge and the adhesive then turns white. Same with most shiny trims on Skoda including bonnet/boot badges and chrome trim. Cheap design, probably cost cents to produce.

Tyre fitters will pop the centre caps out once a wheel is removed by simply pushing them out from behind. No damage caused.

Sorry I was talking about the nut covers being wrenched out with pliers.  Yes the center caps are just pushed out ..... and possibly a small journey bouncing across the floor.

16 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

Sorry I was talking about the nut covers being wrenched out with pliers.  Yes the center caps are just pushed out ..... and possibly a small journey bouncing across the floor.

Better take them off yourself with the plastic tool supplied in your boot kit before you visit the tyre fitter. That also saves it going missing if he forgets to put it back should he decide to use it. Also check the locking nut key is still there after the visit!

Personally I take the wheels off at home and take them in to have tyres fitted as I've seen countless cars including mine incorrectly jacked up on sill lips that they bend and tear. Plus many use air tools with grossly over torqued settings.

Edited by xman

4 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

Quite often the tyre places dont have the relevant cap removal tool and so result to pliers :@

Wish I could say that was the case, but I had the car from new and never had the wheels off the car in the 2 years I owned it. 

Seemed to be a common thing from what I could see.