Aftermarket Head Unit Recommendations

Hello all,

In the process of purchasing a 2010 Octavia vRS, which currently still has the standard bolero head unit. Unfortunately there is no bluetooth on this unit and from reading around this seems unnecessarily complex and costly to retrofit. Therefore looks like an aftermarket unit might be the best option. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to go with. I'd like something with Android auto and obviously for the steering wheel controls etc to work. Is is possible to have the reverse parking sensor display on aftermarket units? I presume the AC display is not possible but I'm not too bothered about that.

Cheers.

Xtron are doing an Android head unit running the newest version 8 of Android for around £299 and everything displayed on your current unit will work on it ... It's extra for a DAB tuner box but that's quite common with these head unit

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb78mtvp-android-8-octa-core-4gb-ram-32gb-rom-multimedia-dvd-player-with-7-display-custom-fit-for-volkswagen-seat-skoda.html

Edited by labman1001

I picked up one of these a couple of months ago... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172855888151 I have to say I am quite impressed so far.

retained all the canbus and was a straight swap fro the bolero wiring.

I would suggest getting and antenna amp though as signal level is a bit low, there are a few available that have the fakra connectors on

Same as above but a bit cheaper and made by Erisin, more info on this one as well and it is true plug and play, took me 15 mins tops to fit, the radio is fine on this one and uses the existing double fakra connection and retains all OSD functions, I have had one fitted for 18 months albeit Android 6 on mine with no issues.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Core-Android-8-0-Car-Stereo-for-SKODA-OCTAVIA-SatNav-DAB-DVR-OBD2-WiFi-4G-DTV/142879551788?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• 1 month later...
On 11/08/2018 at 15:21, T2000 said:

Same as above but a bit cheaper and made by Erisin, more info on this one as well and it is true plug and play, took me 15 mins tops to fit, the radio is fine on this one and uses the existing double fakra connection and retains all OSD functions, I have had one fitted for 18 months albeit Android 6 on mine with no issues.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Core-Android-8-0-Car-Stereo-for-SKODA-OCTAVIA-SatNav-DAB-DVR-OBD2-WiFi-4G-DTV/142879551788?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

What's the start up time like on these mate?

I've just bought a 2012 VRS and it came with a Kenwood DNX520VBT which is alright but boot up seems a little slow. 

On 27/09/2018 at 12:32, ajm83 said:

What's the start up time like on these mate?

I've just bought a 2012 VRS and it came with a Kenwood DNX520VBT which is alright but boot up seems a little slow. 

About 30 seconds maybe a bit longer if you reverse as it cuts in for camera.

On 10/08/2018 at 18:52, Octyii said:

I picked up one of these a couple of months ago... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172855888151 I have to say I am quite impressed so far.

retained all the canbus and was a straight swap fro the bolero wiring.

I would suggest getting and antenna amp though as signal level is a bit low, there are a few available that have the fakra connectors on

I've been really tempted by this one for a while and am in a position now to take the plunge.  However, the unit from this seller (ATD) looks exactly the same, and has the same part number (pretty much) as the Erisin one.  Do you know whether it is infact made by Erisin?

A couple of reasons for asking:  This is more expensive than the one below:

On 11/08/2018 at 15:21, T2000 said:

Also, I've read some damning reviews of the Erisin brand and I'm nervous about choosing it over the other, or an Xtrons or Pumpkin unit, for example.

Otherwise, what's it like?  Audio quality, FM reception, DAB reception (if you have it), BT call volume (my current one is pants!), Android functionality etc.?  I've got a couple of headrest monitors for the rear; I guess it will do dual zone, but do you know how well this works? Does DVD/video play on the HU while driving?

Grateful for your opinions on the above, please!

Cheers :-)

Yes it is an Erisin unit, they are both the same but the one direct from Erisin is cheaper.

Had mine 18 months with no bother.

Audio quality is excellent over the Bolero, FM is good if you have the double Fakra, Don't have DAB I use an app instead with WiFi, BT volume is spot on and clear both ways, full functionality with Android, does dual zone but not sure how well it works films play well on the HU though and it works one the move.

You should read this thread also, 

Edited by T2000

Thanks for your excellent feedback, sir. 

I prefer the looks of the Stream-shaped units over Columbus-shaped ones, and I can't be bothered to buy a new fascia (my one is gloss black).

If audio quality is as good as you say it is, I'm fairly convinced now and hope that the bad reviews I've seen are down to bad luck and hassle with an overseas supplier. It's annoying that ATD are more expensive for seemingly exactly the same unit. 

Just read that thread. I know for a fact I only have a single Fakra plug for FM, which I currently have connected to an inline DIN adapter with amplification. Do you know if the Erisin one needs a 12V feed injecting into it to supply the amplified aerial?

Cheers

2 hours ago, mrhappy said:

I prefer the looks of the Stream-shaped units over Columbus-shaped ones, and I can't be bothered to buy a new fascia (my one is gloss black).

If audio quality is as good as you say it is, I'm fairly convinced now and hope that the bad reviews I've seen are down to bad luck and hassle with an overseas supplier. It's annoying that ATD are more expensive for seemingly exactly the same unit. 

Just read that thread. I know for a fact I only have a single Fakra plug for FM, which I currently have connected to an inline DIN adapter with amplification. Do you know if the Erisin one needs a 12V feed injecting into it to supply the amplified aerial?

Cheers

It may be fine with a single I'm not sure as mine was double in the car, I think the issue with the guys in the other post was he broke his.

On 04/10/2018 at 19:06, mrhappy said:

Cheers

I used atd.

it was great for 3 months. Awful now. Just crashes. Worst decision I’ve made in years

Thats because they are ALL basically the same unit.

They will be from a chinese build house built as cheaply as humanly possible.

Then, front pannels fitted for various cars to be "specific" to certain cars.

These headunits are cheaply made using poor quality parts. They might be full to bursting with a spec but certainly not worth it, especially when people like Alpine and Pioneer make units just the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryan-re said:

These headunits are cheaply made using poor quality parts. They might be full to bursting with a spec but certainly not worth it, especially when people like Alpine and Pioneer make units just the same.

Ever owned one?

4 hours ago, ryan-re said:

Do Pioneer or Alpine (or any other name brand tbh) make one like this which fits exactly (as opposed to a double-din with adapter)?  

2 minutes ago, ajm83 said:

Do Pioneer or Alpine (or any other name brand tbh) make one like this which fits exactly (as opposed to a double-din with adapter)?  

Kenwood make a few models that match the Columbus/Amundsen+/Amundsen size.

The latest is the DNX518VDABS, I think there is also the older DNX516DABS and DNX520VBT to mention a few.

I dont need to own one to know that what I said is correct.

If you are happy with yours then fine, but people in this thread have already reported them regretting buying them.

Im not going to start saying things are poorly made etc if its wrong.

Cheap car audio is made in build houses. The "manufacturer" goes to them with a list of things they want, they choose the cheapest way of making that then give them a price. If you think any R&D has gone into them and any effort has gone into them then you need to think again. 

The pioneer/Alpine units are a mix of oem fit and double din. But they do Andriod units which are far far superior to these ebay specials. I really cant see why anyone would buy one.

• Like 1

I own one. I wish I didn’t.

i was going to leave a positive review on a different thread a while back but I never got round to it. It was excellent for a few months and then it took a turn for the worse and now it won’t even turn on. A complete waste of money

i bought it, ignoring all the bad reviews, after seeing one positive story and thinking maybe the technology had got to a point where they could manage to make a low grade tablet.  These things have been going a while now - surely they’ve ironed out all of the creases. They haven’t. Feel free to buy one but don’t expect it to work for very long

38 minutes ago, ryan-re said:

I dont need to own one to know that what I said is correct.

If you are happy with yours then fine, but people in this thread have already reported them regretting buying them.

Im not going to start saying things are poorly made etc if its wrong.

Cheap car audio is made in build houses. The "manufacturer" goes to them with a list of things they want, they choose the cheapest way of making that then give them a price. If you think any R&D has gone into them and any effort has gone into them then you need to think again. 

The pioneer/Alpine units are a mix of oem fit and double din. But they do Andriod units which are far far superior to these ebay specials. I really cant see why anyone would buy one.

Which is purely speculation based on internet reviews, I would never assume or review anything I hadn't actually owned, if I thought it was crap I would say it was but having used one for 18months I have had a good experience, yes there are options from the main players like Pioneer and Alpine but they are triple the price and some need extra hardware and surrounds and end up costing 4 times the price of a 'cheap' Chinese jobbie.

All Android devices essentially use the same chipset and GPU, I have a cheap Chinese Android phone but it's made by Lenovo and it has outperformed all my previous phones so sometimes you get a good one.

There are plenty of reviews on Alpine and Pioneer also stating they have failed or bad reviews, that's the thing with internet reviews the majority of them are bad, most people that are happy with something rarely leave reviews saying this which is why the reviews are skewed.

For 250 quid and plug and play (truly), fitted in 10 mins for me it was a no brainer, 2 years warranty on it as well so if it fails there is no loss.

1 minute ago, T2000 said:

Which is purely speculation based on internet reviews, I would never assume or review anything I hadn't actually owned, if I thought it was crap I would say it was but having used one for 18months I have had a good experience, yes there are options from the main players like Pioneer and Alpine but they are triple the price and some need extra hardware and surrounds and end up costing 4 times the price of a 'cheap' Chinese jobbie.

All Android devices essentially use the same chipset and GPU, I have a cheap Chinese Android phone but it's made by Lenovo and it has outperformed all my previous phones so sometimes you get a good one.

There are plenty of reviews on Alpine and Pioneer also stating they have failed or bad reviews, that's the thing with internet reviews the majority of them are bad, most people that are happy with something rarely leave reviews saying this which is why the reviews are skewed.

For 250 quid and plug and play (truly), fitted in 10 mins for me it was a no brainer, 2 years warranty on it as well so if it fails there is no loss.

Agreed - the 2 year warranty was a big selling point for me too. At least if it does fall over (I've had mine about 6 months and so far so good)
QC may be a bit more lax than some of the "Big Names" but it doesnt mean that every unit they make is bad

I went in eyes wide open to my purchase - also agree with the previous 2 posts, the 2 year warranty made it a no brainer decision really for the price. If it dies after 2 years, I'll only be mildly inconvenienced and will take it as an opportunity to get a faster processor most likely. 

I do have some minor connectivity issues (my thread is linked earlier in this thread), but I suspect the fault is with me/my phone rather than the head unit itself; I remain very pleased with it and maintain the sound quality is leaps and bounds ahead of the the Columbus it replaced.

Haven't seen that brand before - looks pricey though. The 9 inch one for Octavia II looks to be the same unit as my  9 inch Xtrons - at $650 (~£500) vs. the £230 paid for mine. The Xtrons also has twice the ram and onboard storage unless I'm missing something obvious.