1st to 2nd kick into gear

I have an MY17 at <5,000km and have noticed a jumpy kick from 1st to 2nd gear only after Start-Stop switches the car off at a set of lights and only when 1st gear hits above 2,500rpm or so. As soon as the gear switches to 2nd there is a sudden thud like the gear has jumped out and then gets back in and the 2nd gear continues. Is this a known phenomenon with the DSG? Should I be concerned about this?>

HI Ash, i've not noticed anything like that on mine but i have the 245 with the 7 speed, i'm assuming you have the RS with the 6 speed? but what i do get is a jumpy kick when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd if the engine breaking. i just put it down to a DSG's quirk.

Mine does that, but it's worse on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd after gradually slowing down. 

At low speed, once it's dropped into 2nd and then I accelerate it pauses for a fraction then then jumps really harshly.

I'm going to get it looked at as it does my head in when in slow moving traffic. Potentially a bit dangerous due to the way it lurches.

17 Plate 230vRS

On 11/08/2018 at 20:01, Mark7 said:

HI Ash, i've not noticed anything like that on mine but i have the 245 with the 7 speed, i'm assuming you have the RS with the 6 speed? but what i do get is a jumpy kick when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd if the engine breaking. i just put it down to a DSG's quirk.

Yes, I have the 6sp RS with 162kW designation. I get smooth transitions between all gears other than at the time I mentioned going hard from 1st to 2nd.

On 11/08/2018 at 22:07, ItalianJob said:

Mine does that, but it's worse on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd after gradually slowing down. 

At low speed, once it's dropped into 2nd and then I accelerate it pauses for a fraction then then jumps really harshly.

I'm going to get it looked at as it does my head in when in slow moving traffic. Potentially a bit dangerous due to the way it lurches.

17 Plate 230vRS

I've had no problems shifting down either at high or low revs slowing down. The pause I get when accelerating after a shift down is reasonably acceptable as I don't have any lurching. I would suppose your issue is not normal - I have the similar model to your RS and don't have that problem.

Edited by SkodaAsh

Could be the fact that when you're slowly decelerating the DSG is switching down the box automatically , If you're down to 2nd gear !st & 3rd gears will be selected . The gear box isn't sure which gear you want next so when you accelerate the jerk could come from the slight hesitation as the correct gear is selected and the revs have climbed    

7 hours ago, mikedb said:

Could be the fact that when you're slowly decelerating the DSG is switching down the box automatically , If you're down to 2nd gear !st & 3rd gears will be selected . The gear box isn't sure which gear you want next so when you accelerate the jerk could come from the slight hesitation as the correct gear is selected and the revs have climbed    

It's already in 2nd gear though so no need to change and already coasting at a speed suitable for 2nd gear.

I don't thinks it's normal as I've had several DSG boxes before - 5 to be precise and non exhibited this (both 6 and 6 speed)

11 hours ago, mikedb said:

If you're down to 2nd gear !st & 3rd gears will be selected . The gear box isn't sure which gear you want next so when you accelerate the jerk could come from the slight hesitation as the correct gear is selected and the revs have climbed    

@mikedb the DSG can't select both 1st & 3rd, the same clutch plate does both gears, sounds likes a stop/start issue, there is a software update that mine has had.

@SkodaAsh try giving a dealers or preferable a service centre a call & ask if the DSG software update is applicable to your car might be easier than Fn about with it yourself 

Interesting. I will call and find out. Bear in mind I have the problem only from 1st to 2nd and only after restarting from stop-start mechanism.

I'll see what they say.

I get this on occasions - reported to dealer when it went in for its first service and computer says no fault and they couldn't reproduce it.

I will endeavour to re-create it for them, this is a May 2017 vRS TSi 230 - seems to be when coasting to a halt - say approaching a roundabout - it is clear so you accelerate and it seems to release the clutch on 2nd gear a bit to aggressively.

This isn't with Start-Stop Enabled - the first button I press after starting the car. I'd disable it permanently - but then I couldn't switch it back on again if say caught in a Motorway Tail Back.

I will be watching this thread with interest.

Edited by Gti Jazz Blue

7 hours ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

I get this on occasions - reported to dealer when it went in for its first service and computer says no fault and they couldn't reproduce it.

I will endeavour to re-create it for them, this is a May 2017 vRS TSi 230 - seems to be when coasting to a halt - say approaching a roundabout - it is clear so you accelerate and it seems to release the clutch on 2nd gear a bit to aggressively.

This isn't with Start-Stop Enabled - the first button I press after starting the car. I'd disable it permanently - but then I couldn't switch it back on again if say caught in a Motorway Tail Back.

This sums is up better than I did!! 

I also disable start stop as soon as I've started the engine.

13 hours ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

Thanks mate. Interesting experience you've had and it may be similar to mine. I often have Start-Stop deactivated, and when I don't it's usually because I forget to do so at the start of the drive. I've never experienced it when the engine is continuously running, but I'll try and recreate it also in such situations. So I gather it will be a software issue releasing the clutch so heavily it jolts into 2nd gear.

Edited by SkodaAsh

Since having it in the service centre, the kick from 1st to 2nd is still happening. Worst after prolonged rest at the traffic lights waiting for them to go green. More of a kick the higher the revs. It seems to be consistently happening now. Although it is a problem, I'll be waiting to raise the issue at the next service as it will not happen if the car is continuously running from still.

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this problem:

First year service was done. Service team did not find the problem again.

I demonstrated it to the foreman. Obvious kick in M driving mode from 1st to 2nd. 

His explanation was that it is because the computer doesn't know when I will be going from 1st to second and when I hit the gear change, the power gets transferred to 2nd suddenly. He claims that if it did not do this there would be a problem with the DSG mechanism.

I personally don't buy that, but I still have to live with it. I end up turning off the start-stop mechanism to prevent this, or keep the car in D or S mode, which doesn't cause this gear shift jolt.

Issue with me is that D mode has very little power, and S mode revs up too much (c'mon, >4,000rpm before gear change?)

On 11/08/2018 at 22:07, ItalianJob said:

17 Plate 230vRS

This issue I have also noticed but to a minor degree. The lurching is noticeable for me on 2nd gear slowing down to come to a halt. It is not associated with any revving. Although it means being careful on the brakes I think I can live with this, but the 1st to 2nd gear kick is quite harsh, like it will cause gear wear if it keeps happening. I should emphasise it only happens on MANUAL mode on my 6sp auto, not on the DRIVE or SPORTS modes.

I have watched many video's and read many articles that describe JERKY progress at low speeds (1st and 2nd gear) when the car can't decide which gear to be in and seems to take longer than expected to catch up with the driver's throttle input, which is why I prefer a manual gearbox, my shifts are always smooth and defo no head banging passengers due to gearbox indecision. Hope you resolve eventually but remember you could always buy a manual and eliminate the problem once and for all.:dry:

No problems with any of the 3 DSG equipped cars I’ve owned, it’s an automated mechanical box and shouldn’t be driven like a conventional Torque Converter Auto. You can’t use the throttle in a binary way, it still works best when power is requested smoothly. My guess is if you drove a manual in the same way as you’re driving the DSG in M you’d have some similar issues.

if you are continually driving in M then your driving characteristics learned by the car in D mode won’t happen.

Annoyingly my 7 speed DSG has a similar issue but not sure if that's inexperience.

There are times when starting up again and the car will shoot off quickly and other times nothing what so ever for about 3 seconds (it's moving just not at the speed you'd expect) and then off it goes.

Mine seems to want to get into second really quickly, which often means the revs are too low and it bogs down :( 

My 2005 A3 TDi DSG didn't have the violent shift action - my 17 230 vRS TSi does - I know how to drive a DSG - I did about 60K Miles in the A3 DSG. Seems to be a feature that they have improved into the box :angry:

When stationary using Stop Start you must just caress the throttle to get an restart and then apply the throttle very slowly and smoothly if you push the throttle to far the instant you restart the engine will try to accelerate hard and this will cause a lurch when changing from 1st to 2nd whether you are in auto or manual, you are simply overloading the drive chain and need to moderate your technique.

You would get the same issue with SS disabled if you applied too much throttle from the off, the change from 1st to 2nd can be quite a jolt, this is a 'feature' of the DSG and you just have to modify your driving style to get the best from the box.

• Love it! 1

3 hours ago, octavia5 said:

When stationary using Stop Start you must just caress the throttle to get an restart and then apply the throttle very slowly and smoothly if you push the throttle to far the instant you restart the engine will try to accelerate hard and this will cause a lurch when changing from 1st to 2nd whether you are in auto or manual, you are simply overloading the drive chain and need to moderate your technique.

That'd be fine but I don't use the accelerator to re-start the engine. Removing my foot from the brake pedal, or the car in front moving away does it for me. 

When it restarts and I let my foot off the break, it will start creeping. Sometimes it'll move slowly no matter how hard I mash the accelerator and other times, the slightly breeze causes it to lurch.