DSG clunk in reverse

Hi all, does anyone else have this feature or could it be something I need to sort?

When putting the Octy in reverse, giving it a second to engage, and then say I am a little quick at pressing the throttle I get a metallic clunk as the car starts to move backwards.

It is almost as if I have a broken engine mount. Seems to come from the near side, possibly. I cant see the mount due the battery being in the way on that side sadly.

I know these DSG boxes are a little clunky and noisy anyway and it seems to be a feature but this seems a bit more noticeable. Is it a feature of the Octy 1.4 TSI DSG 7 speed?

Cheers!

By clunky, not the gear changes of course, they are perfect, I mean that on occasions you do get the odd noise from it as it does it's thing.

We get the same noises on the Fabia DSG 7 too.

This is just a clunk as if it were an engine mount when the engine block is under load when the car starts to reverse.

Edited by Plantman

I haven't experienced any clunking when I had my previous octy 7 speed dsg? I'm not sure if it's the same box in the 1.6 diesel as in yours? 

My new octy is a 6 speed dsg. So far so good. 

Get it in for a health check and report it to skoda UK just to be on the safe side. 

My previous DSG boxes (Golf 5 GTI and Octy 2 vRS petrol) were always perfectly smooth at any speed. 

My latest, in my Octy 3 vRS petrol, is perfect once up to speed, but can be clunky both in 1st and reverse at parking speeds. Sadly. 

Edited by dunc69

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Do you pop it in reverse before coming to a complete stop?

Nah, I have far too much mechanical sympathy to do that :)

• Like 1

Just to reiterate, this isn't a gear changing noise this is a clunk after the DSG box has already engaged the reverse gear and I am applying light throttle.

The change up is fine and the change into reverse is fine. Changing in to N is also fine.

When in reverse, if I apply a bit too much throttle or too soon the clutch bites (which you'd expect) and just as it starts to move I hear this noise.  Not always only if the clutch bites a bit too hard because I am rushing the box perhaps.

I will get it checked out since the car is under warranty still but just wondering if other have this and it's a feature.  Most noises you take your car in for end up being a "they all do that sir" from the dealer/mechanic/front desk person.  That then ends up being a wasted day at the dealers

So guessing no one else gets this? Interesting about the hill hold. I've only noticed this noise on the flat and when reversing so that wouldn't be a factor.

It's had full main dealer history yup, which is why I thought I would ask here before booking it in. Seems unlikely that it would be an engine mount this early in it age (22k).

14 hours ago, logiclee said:

Are you sure it's not brake pads shifting?

A known cause of clunk from when reversing.

Could very well be!  This a Mk3 feature? Don't have this on the Fabia or the on the old Mk2 Octy.

Time to set the GoPro up (other action cameras are available) to see how much the engine block moves when reversing.

Edited by Plantman

I have a diesel 2.0 with 6 gear automatic - and yes I can get that clunk but only sometimes.

It feels like its something coming from the gear lever itself rather than engine or gearbox - as you can feel the clunk in your hand when putting in reverse.

Have you noticed it only happens on a slope ?

Just now, viralchristian said:

I have a diesel 2.0 with 6 gear automatic - and yes I can get that clunk but only sometimes.

It feels like its something coming from the gear lever itself rather than engine or gearbox - as you can feel the clunk in your hand when putting in reverse.

Have you noticed it only happens on a slope ?

Sometimes, though this can happen on the flat.

It's when the clutch engages more abruptly than normal. Sometimes when you apply throttle the car doesn't seem to be quick enough to apply the clutch so realises you are wanting to move and that's when I get the clunk.

If the car has engaged the clutch and as soon as you lift off the car starts to coast I don't really get the clunk.

• 3 weeks later...

Booked the car into Sparshatts for a check on this. Also noticed that in Sport mode a down change from 3rd to 2nd off throttle (when braking - slowing) it can be a bit abrupt almost as if it has dropped the clutch.

Generally a bit rough and not a smooth drive in that scenario compared to D mode. 

Sparshatts didn't give anything away about the clunk but on a quick call to Meadens Skoda the chap mentioned it could be a Mechatronic fault. The joy!  Hoping the Sparshatts dealer warranty will cover this if so!

PS: No faults on VCDS.

Are there any DSG values (measuring blocks) I can check for things such as oil pressures, sensor reading etc?

Never heard of this from the dealer.  I am going to mention of course. It has been serviced at Sparshatts since new and it's had three inspections/services but nothing has been noted as being required or done.

They are the people that should check and know, so if they have then your car / DQ200 will not be one that needed '34H5'.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/425424-2017-another-dq200-7-speed-dsg-service-campaign 

But if it needs the new MCU or even clutch packs or both then luckily you have the warranty, and once they look and start then they need to resolve the issue even if the Warranty is out and they have not sorted things.

Dealer said that if it was required for my car it would have been done otherwise the dealership would be heavily penalised.

Saying that when I called the Skoda website had crashed and he couldn't confirm. #eyeroll

• Like 1