What have you done to your Superb III today?

3 hours ago, defsix said:

If I was you, I’d throw these in the bin immediately.

The metal that these are made out of causes them to corrode to the point they weld themselves to the stems meaning they need cutting off and replacing.

Just a heads up from multiple tries of different brands and multiple having to be cut off.

(joys of galvanic corrosion)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

If I was you, I’d throw these in the bin immediately.

The metal that these are made out of causes them to corrode to the point they weld themselves to the stems meaning they need cutting off and replacing.

Just a heads up from multiple tries of different brands and multiple having to be cut off.

(joys of galvanic corrosion)

^^ This, in spades. They may look good for a few weeks but the corrosion will lock them on requiring new valve stems.

• Like 2

Nice to know ... I've had this problem many years ago, in my heavy bling years, and I thought it was something I was doing wrong, either tightening too much or cross-threading the stems. And I remember the caps came with a little "wrench" ... 🤪

With hindsight, I was lucky as few weeks after I got all four caps stolen in a public parking lot. I was going to buy them again, but I remember a friend told me "you know what? since they shine, they get attracted to them like the poor indians were attracted to barter mirrors and glitter for valuable and useful items" Right he was, I got the plastic ugly ones since, I got maybe 2-3 stolen in 25 years ...

Now I got the same friend in Whatsapp will remind him of that time 😝

• Like 2

Wow!

I appreciate the advice from everyone! I never thought of the metal reaction. Lesson learned before it's too late 🤯

1 hour ago, Winston_Woof said:

+1 on staying away from shiny metal valve caps

2 hours ago, petrolcan said:

Might slow it down.

I learned my lesson some years back with those bloody alloy valve caps

2 hours ago, Gammyleg said:

Maybe some ptfe tape on the valve thread would help stop the corrosion?

2 hours ago, petrolcan said:

^^ This, in spades. They may look good for a few weeks but the corrosion will lock them on requiring new valve stems.

Well, I think this metal corrosion on valve caps, strongly depends on where you live.

Maybe in UK, you're never far from the see and they face salt conditions due to oceanic climat?

On my side (not far from Paris, France), I've these alloy valve caps since 2018. Never have seen them stuck due to corrosion.

And I never greased the thread as a prevention mean... 🤷‍♂️

I've pu similar ones on my wife's Audi Q3 since 2019, not problem either...

The only reproach I can make is that anodizing has faded with UV exposure... They're not really black anymore, they look more "bronze" now.

I can see a difference between left and right sides. My park place at home is along a hedge, which protects the car from UV. Valve caps on this side are darker.

Maybe it's time for me to throw them into the bin too, because it doesn't look very nice anymore... Not for the same reason... 😁

5 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Well, I think this metal corrosion on valve caps, strongly depends on where you live.

Maybe in UK, you're never far from the see and they face salt conditions due to oceanic climat?

On my side (not far from Paris, France), I've these alloy valve caps since 2018. Never have seen them stuck due to corrosion.

And I never greased the thread as a prevention mean... 🤷‍♂️

I've pu similar ones on my wife's Audi Q3 since 2019, not problem either...

The only reproach I can make is that anodizing has faded with UV exposure... They're not really black anymore, they look more "bronze" now.

I can see a difference between left and right sides. My park place at home is along a hedge, which protects the car from UV. Valve caps on this side are darker.

Maybe it's time for me to throw them into the bin too, because it doesn't look very nice anymore... Not for the same reason... 😁

+1

i've been using AliExpress metal caps on Gandalf for almost 6 yrs now, no rust/corrosion whatsoever.

not faded either as the car is garaged.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Well, you can always swap sides and have them all in 'bronze' ... and then bin them! 😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leolito said:

Nice to know ... I've had this problem many years ago, in my heavy bling years, and I thought it was something I was doing wrong, either tightening too much or cross-threading the stems. And I remember the caps came with a little "wrench" ... 🤪

With hindsight, I was lucky as few weeks after I got all four caps stolen in a public parking lot. I was going to buy them again, but I remember a friend told me "you know what? since they shine, they get attracted to them like the poor indians were attracted to barter mirrors and glitter for valuable and useful items" Right he was, I got the plastic ugly ones since, I got maybe 2-3 stolen in 25 years ...

Now I got the same friend in Whatsapp will remind him of that time 😝

I too bought this style of valve caps about 10 years ago and they were also stolen within a week when I was working in Abergavenny.  The car was was parked in Fairfield car park for the day and it's not the sort of place where you worry that something might happen to your car.

I’ve had chromed steel caps on ours which I bought from eBay for four years and I’ve had no issues getting them off or back on again. 

On 16/05/2024 at 04:36, JR RS said:

+1

i've been using AliExpress metal caps on Gandalf for almost 6 yrs now, no rust/corrosion whatsoever.

not faded either as the car is garaged.

I read this as a humble brag about your wonderful climate! :emoticon-0157-sun:

• Haha 2
  • Cheeky 1

Posted (edited)

Replaced my Škoda Superb 4x4 L&K air and cabin filter today.
A nice 20 minutes of tinkering.

Mileage: 126814 km

• Air filter: OEM code: 5Q0129620C - MANN-FILTER C 30 004 / cold climate filter - €12.61
• Cabin filter: OEM code: 5Q0819669 - MANN-FILTER FP 26 009 - €15.69

Untitled.jpg

Edited by superbuser35
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

You change the air filter every 15000 km? It sounds a very low mileage. I do it every 30000km, whereas AFAIK Skoda recommends a replacement every 90000 km (on TDIs).

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

I guess it depends where you live, here where I am is very dirty, a filter rarely lasts more than an year or a few thousand kilometers. I usually taken them out regularly and dust them with the compressor, but I am replacing them shorter than what you say.

Keeping such intervals is unthinkable at my latitudes 🙄

6 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Skoda recommends a replacement every 90000 km

same as buy new car every few years :)

these huge numbers have no connection to real life, look to filters condition after 15 kKm

exactly same case with engine oil replace,

with avg speed 30 km/h it must be replaced at 7500 km, when 250 motor hours reached

@superbuser35

please add info about engine

wondering why 5Q0 129 620 C instead D

• Like 1

I agree, the VAG recommendation at 90000 km is huge.

this why I replace it every 30000km (without dusting it at 15000km). It's not very dirty at 30000km and I think I could simply dust it with my compressor to make it last a bit longer. Mays be dust every 15000 and replace it at 60000km. But I'm lucky enough to face quite fair road and climate conditions on my usual trips. Not very dusty.

IMO everytime a service is done you should at least take the air filter out and give it a bash and vacuum, but as they’re cheap no issues replacing as well

• Like 1