What have you done to your Superb III today?

4 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Not really. 4K miles since May. I don’t commute daily but use the car around town then do a 400 mile round trip every 2-3 weeks. 

I usually get 34-37 mpg on the same journey. 

Not too bad! I average around 30 in my current car so any improvement would be a bonus I guess. Smiles per gallon is what I prefer though haha

Drove 480 miles from south London to Beaune, France.

Worth noting: I remember someone complaining they had lost a handicapped badge behind the dash, because today it was me. I thought the top of the powered sliding drawer cover on the central console would be a good place to keep my credit card and toll tickets so TGBITW has them handy. Wrong.

I grabbed my credit card and accidentally flipped the toll ticket into the black hole that is behind the central console and under the dash. Not a chance of retrieving that. The only luck I had was that I would have had to pay the maximum toll, anyway. (£17.80, Calais to Laon).

Otherwise, the car is great. Every startup greets me with "Oil needs to be inspected in 30 days" so the countdown begins.

39.7 mpg today, mostly @ 85 mph ( says the readout).

On 05/09/2018 at 16:36, Richparker said:

Would you recommend the DTUK unit? My 2018 220 L&K drives really well but I do miss the power of my previous BMW 535d and I thought a tuning box might be a solution. Also has it had any effect on the throttle response as mine is a bit "woolly". Cheers Rich

It makes quite a difference.  I found that at slow speeds it felt a bit flat before, but now seems a lot more willing, and then just keeps pulling and pulling.  I managed to get one second hand for £135, so it was worth the gamble.

2 hours ago, RichTea77 said:

It makes quite a difference.  I found that at slow speeds it felt a bit flat before, but now seems a lot more willing, and then just keeps pulling and pulling.  I managed to get one second hand for £135, so it was worth the gamble.

Thanks for getting back to me. For £135 it's an easy decision - for £580 for both the tuning box and pedal box it's not quite so simple! Might just try the pedal box as it's the lag in throttle response that I find most  disappointing. 

• Like 1

On 07/09/2018 at 11:39, DjEatch said:

@RichTea77 - is yours the 220 or the 280? - Currently toying with putting a pedalbox/XLR and a tuning box on the 280 Sportline+.

Mine's a 220.  I would have loved a 280, but I was pushing my luck with the purse strings (Mrs) with this one. 

Readout says I got 42 mpg today on the run from Genoa to Florence. That was the only good news. At the toll plaza, I got in the TelePass lane and couldn't back out. When I got off in Florence, I held up traffic while a man came to sort me out. Gave me a long printout and waved me on my way. Had a look at the printout when we stopped for lunch: I have 15 days to pay €56.50. Ouch. The run from Florence to Naples cost €36. I think you can get a return flight for that...

Oh yeah: Naples traffic has to be experienced once in a lifetime. Controlled anarchy! Got parked without incident and the car will not be moved for the next three days.

10 hours ago, freelunch said:

Readout says I got 42 mpg today on the run from Genoa to Florence. That was the only good news. At the toll plaza, I got in the TelePass lane and couldn't back out. When I got off in Florence, I held up traffic while a man came to sort me out. Gave me a long printout and waved me on my way. Had a look at the printout when we stopped for lunch: I have 15 days to pay €56.50. Ouch. The run from Florence to Naples cost €36. I think you can get a return flight for that...

Oh yeah: Naples traffic has to be experienced once in a lifetime. Controlled anarchy! Got parked without incident and the car will not be moved for the next three days.

Great MPG! Not so great news about your toll charge. I had a parking ticket in Italy and they don't make it easy for you to pay. I was stood waiting for ages in a post office (I think) in the fine line haha

Hope the rest of your trip is event free!

I just paid my toll online. Nice surprise: I entered the name of the toll booth where I got on the autostrada and the fine was reduced to €22.70. 

I parked in the underground parking arranged by the hotel. Impossibly tiny space. I handed over my chiave and left them to it. Next day, I had to retrieve something from my car. Attendant on duty. Much bad Italian and hand signage ensued. Skoda Rosso, I said. Rossa, he corrected. Cars are feminine in Italy. I got my stuff out of the car and noticed that they leave the car windows at half mast and the chiave on the dash.

One must have faith in Napoli.

• Like 1

Bought it some winter wheels:

just need to get some centre bore spacers and remove those tacky badges:dull:

IMG_20180914_180825.jpg

IMG_20180914_180834.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bud said:

Bought it some winter wheels:

just need to get some centre bore spacers and remove those tacky badges:dull:

IMG_20180914_180825.jpg

IMG_20180914_180834.jpg

EBay? Think I got one of the other sets :D great price but you're right about the centre caps. I'm trying to replace mine with blank caps and get some Skoda badges lacquered on top.

I got some aluminium spigots fitted, they were stubborn to go in.

It would be nice if all the WLTP nonsense would stop delaying my car so I could have something to fit them to!

Sold it. 

Delivered in CW22. This week it started doing 'maxi slip' in third gear, just like the old one did. 

So yesterday I signed the papers on a BMW 520d Saloon. 

16 hours ago, Adrian55555 said:

Here is my set i recently purchased. With next to new nokian wr a4 winter tyres fitted. 

Ready for winterIMG_20180811_203919.thumb.jpg.3962470e5a38c9667fcb1b0dcb194b2a.jpg

@Adrian55555

Hi mate what is the rack you have as my garage space is limited and I could use something like that.

@Bud i actually made it myself from angle steel, just welded together and painted black.  However you can purchase on ebay if you search for tyre rack.  As i have a welder and had bits of steel handy it worked out cheaper for me.  

Here is one very similar and pretty decent price! 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARAGE-WORKSHOP-FOLDING-WALL-MOUNT-CAR-SPARE-TYRE-WHEEL-STORAGE-SHELVING-RACK/291587855692?hash=item43e3fd954c:g:IDMAAOSwJ5RbIm~P

Edited by Adrian55555
Added link

225/50/17 is afaik not a good size as there is a difference in the overall diameter of the tyre - i think around 8 mm bigger than 215/55/17. It will definitely give less comfort as the stock 17’’ has 119mm but this one has 112mm sidewall. 

Edited by simichoil

8 hours ago, GaSelle said:

Sold it. 

Delivered in CW22. This week it started doing 'maxi slip' in third gear, just like the old one did. 

So yesterday I signed the papers on a BMW 520d Saloon. 

I’m guessing this is humour/trolling?

The forums biggest advocate of Skoda (and petrol) with three “faultless” cars has changed his faulty Superb to a diesel 5 series? Did somebody have a gun to your head? :D

On 01/06/2018 at 09:33, GaSelle said:
I’ve had three different brand new 520d’s as rentals during the pas few weeks in the UK. Where do you feel the materials are superior to the Superb? There is more road noise in the 5’er as well, but that’s hard to compare - you have some very rough tarmac in the UK.

You can now hassle BMW owners at their forum for posting negative comments about the brand :tongueout:

Edited by Alan_P
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alan_P said:

The forums biggest advocate of Skoda (and petrol) with three “faultless” cars has changed his faulty Superb to a diesel 5 series? Did somebody have a gun to your head? :D

On 01/06/2018 at 09:33, GaSelle said:
I’ve had three different brand new 520d’s as rentals during the pas few weeks in the UK. Where do you feel the materials are superior to the Superb? There is more road noise in the 5’er as well, but that’s hard to compare - you have some very rough tarmac in the UK.

You can now hassle BMW owners at their forum for posting negative comments about the brand :tongueout:

:D 

I remember Gaselle's very spiteful remarks about my mildly sarcastic comment about some supposed facelift photos, not even the real deal and obviously the fact that I wasn't an out and out fanboy.

Karma strikes again ....

I suspect he'll find BMW forums far less accomodating and courteous.

• Like 2

Well, I made sure I had all the tyre repair kit I could need, short of an actual spare wheel, then this happened in Napoli. I knew I had hit a curb, but thought it incidental to surviving rush hour madness. I parked up for three days, then drove to Syracusa (some 400 miles) before I noticed the cut in the sidewall. I took the pressure and it was actually a higher reading than when I left London, owing I'm sure to the temperature here. 

I couldn't get it replaced in Syracusa, so I'm contacting a Pirelli dealer in Palermo on Monday. Drove from Syracusa to Palermo, hit every pothole and expansion joint on the way and the tyre is holding up fine. The tear seems to be superficial. Dunno. Still, home is 1,500 miles away...

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

tyre_napoli.jpg

• Sad 1

I think and i may be wrong but for MOT its a fail only if the cords are visible. So structurally it maybe ok if its not deep enough to show the cords.  Again i could br wrong. But i would personally still change the tyre having such a ling journey to do. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2018 at 21:45, simichoil said:

225/50/17 is afaik not a good size as there is a difference in the overall diameter of the tyre - i think around 8 mm bigger than 215/55/17

+1

car will sit lower for 5mm,

for winter i will recommend 225/55r17,
car will sit then 5mm higher than on stock and speedometer will show more accurate values

add to bookmarks

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Edited by MartiniB
  • Like 1

An update on the damaged tyre sidewall (to make a short story long):

I know 207 words of Italian and a bit of Spanish. None of this helped in a damaged tyre situation. (In fact, I learned squalo, balena and delfino – none of which appeared on any of our menus.) So, I was grateful when the Pirelli dealer's daughter, Francesca, spoke pretty good English.

I walked in to the shop and showed the pictures I had of the tyre, size and damage. They phoned around and could not get a tyre shipped in until a day after we were meant to leave. I'd already done 800 miles on the tyre and thought I might wait until Bologna.

I was offered a new P-Zero to replace my Cinturato P7. I thought, no. I was offered a used tyre for €50 to get us home and thought that was a good idea. They said if I brought the car in, I could have it mounted straight away, so I did.

The mechanic, Angelo, took a look at the damage and said he could repair it. I understood the word "vulcanising". Result! Angelo removed and repaired the tyre, put the rear wheel on the front and the repaired wheel on the rear and we were away in two hours. Most of the wait was for the vulcanising process to take.

I handed Angelo a fiver and the Capo billed me €20. I could not have been happier.

I tried to imagine this happening in the UK and what it might have cost...

• Like 3