Overheated dog

KITKIRK

:inlove:In my new (to me) yeti outdoor I placed my dog in the boot. I live in southern Spain and despite window reflectors the boot got a little warm. Too warm.

On my old Berlingo I could leave large ventilation gaps because it was beat up enough not to be worth nicking. (I used to have a Yugo that you could safely leave the keys in as no self respecting twocker would touch it).

My new toy is too shiny to leave undefended. I suppose I could make metal grille to trap in the rest windows. How would this compromise the alarm system?

Anybody with bright ideas to stop my dogs blood boiling?

Edited by KITKIRK

Two options. Don't leave the dog in the car, or on page 40? of the owners manual it explains how to deactivate the internal sensor of the alarm system via a switch on the B pillar next to the driver.

Colin

Even the UK we wouldn't leave a dog in an un-ventilated car

If you had some metal grills to trap in the window it may set the alarm off but you can disable the interior protection whilst still setting the rest of the alarm by pressing a button on the drivers side B pillar before you lock the car

[EDIT] Random advert:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/PETGEAR-TRAVEL-WINDOW-ANIMAL-UNIVERSAL/dp/B01GU2HH1Q/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=760GBX9ZXG0190Q7A82B

Edited by bigjohn

^ What they said, experts all.  Or try this : 

1  Put the dog in car (if you really must).

2  Lock car with button (one click).

3  Pause 3-4 secs (too long and the alarm sets, and Rover triggers it).

4  Unlock car again with button (one click, pause 1 sec, second click = all doors unlocked) 

5  Press unlock button again and hold until windows (ALL of them!) start to descend. 

6  Release button when they're open enough for ventilation, but not for prying hands if Fido's asleep.  (You might like/need to practice this bit without the dog's help; if you don't release the button the very moment the glass moves, it lowers too far and Buddy escapes.  In which case, start again at 1 above by reloading the pooch). 

7  If he's still safely aboard, and with the windows open enough, re-lock the car - one click to throw the deadlocks, pause 1 sec then click again to dis-arm just the internal and movement sensors. 

8  Pray it doesn't rain, 'cos it runs straight off the roof and into the open windows (one of the few significant design faults in the Yeti, in my opinion). 

9 Relax

Enjoy your Yeti!  :hi:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brijo said:

Pray it doesn't rain, 'cos it runs straight off the roof and into the open windows (one of the few significant design faults in the Yeti, in my opinion). 

Enjoy your Yeti!  :hi:

Yup, it's in good company though. The Rolls Royce Silver Spirit, Shadow and Spur of the '90's (also Bentley 8, Mulsanne, & Turbo R) suffered the same because of their gutter-less roof feature (poor design).

Bill :)

• Like 1

Well, very little rain gets past the rain sensor ~ so then the windows shut, dog dies, end of...

So best to deactivate rain sensor too if transporting live animals. Can you tell I'm a farmer and can you guess how I found this out? :crying:

Thank you for all the help. Very useful. The advice not to leave the dog whilst true is not very practical.I

This topic zone should have an originator thank you panel!

It's nice to know that in Mr Freedom I'm not the only one that can't resist playing.

I used to be a teacher in inner city and special schools. I know a lot of teenage twockers and car thieves. They advised only ever to leave rear windows open as it is too easy to insert grabbers through the front Windows to compromise security.

I intend to open the rear windows only a little using the driver side controls and then lock those controls and lock the car with the internal sensors disabled. I was also told only to park my car  next to desirable expensive cars as it distracts the little dears. 

I had my car broken into once but that was to steal a computer inside and that was via a broken window. My dodgy friends were disgusted by the lack of professionalism!

Thank you rustynuts. Opening a widow and producing ventilation does not make a car cool but it does reduce the thermal gain that makes the car hot. I can explain the Physics of you want?

The dog cooling by panting over a wet tongue is the same concept as sweating but required a supply of drinking water and quite a lot of effort. Taking the dog out of the car is not always possible in Spain as many parts have restrictions. My dog is cared for and is a healthy rescue dog. The whole point of my original question was to improve his welfare. I could have solved the problem by never taking him out of the rescue pound in the first place. Life has comprimises!

Explain the physics to your dog. I'm sure he's more concerned about it than I am.  Then again, if I were stuck in an oven and unable to escape while being cooked, I doubt I'd be overly concerned if someone tried to explain why I was dying.

Your "I live in Spain" argument is invalid really, as I doubt your dog understands this either. :sweat:

• Like 2

Dogs die in cars all the time, unfortunately so do babies and small children, shade moves, queues slow down "quick dives" into shops.

Cars overheat very quickly and interiors reach very high temperatures, ventilators only allow already hot air to circulate.

It takes seconds to slip on a lead and take the dog with you or leave it at home.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KITKIRK said:

Thank you rustynuts. Opening a widow and producing ventilation does not make a car cool but it does reduce the thermal gain that makes the car hot. I can explain the Physics of you want?

The dog cooling by panting over a wet tongue is the same concept as sweating but required a supply of drinking water and quite a lot of effort. Taking the dog out of the car is not always possible in Spain as many parts have restrictions. My dog is cared for and is a healthy rescue dog. The whole point of my original question was to improve his welfare. I could have solved the problem by never taking him out of the rescue pound in the first place. Life has comprimises!

Explain the physics to the countless dogs that have died as a result of being left in hot cars,  even a few minutes is enough to really raise the temperature.

You're not being a responsible dog owner, sorry but that's the truth of it.

Stop making excuses and make other arrangements for the poor dog....please!!

• Like 2

I used to claim to be a Physicist but I studied a little Biology too. I'm sure you have you have reasons for thinking that my attempts to find ways to avoid overheating my dog makes me less of an animal lover than one who uses a dog's picture as a signature?

Unlike most of The posters here I live in a hot country and I know how quickly a car can get hot!

It has been suggested I could put on his lead and take him with me. Thank you for that revelation!

28 minutes ago, KITKIRK said:

I used to claim to be a Physicist but I studied a little Biology too. I'm sure you have you have reasons for thinking that my attempts to find ways to avoid overheating my dog makes me less of an animal lover than one who uses a dog's picture as a signature?

Unlike most of The posters here I live in a hot country and I know how quickly a car can get hot!

It has been suggested I could put on his lead and take him with me. Thank you for that revelation!

I have Highers in Physics, Biology and Chemistry and a university degree. But I don't need that to know that dogs die in hot cars.

At least the dog in the picture doesn't get left in a roasting hot car in a hot country.

Your attitude says it all really, I have nothing more to say to you. But I do pity your dog.

Edited by MarieK
  • Like 2

You do not need a degree to know that leaving an animal in a car in the heat could lead to a window being smashed to get a distressed animal out.
I would not have 2nd thoughts of doing that if I came across that situation and there was no other option available.

• Like 2

I confess I am an ignorant heartless animal hater who deserves to be pilloried for daring to ask how to make my yeti hell hole a little more tolerable for my dog as he slips into death!

Version 2

I wanted to know how to improve my cars ventilation safely.

you might be pleased to know that I haven't killed him yet as I park in the shade and go back if things change.

I might deserve moral outrage but I don't want it 

I read somewhere about being without sin and throwing the first stone?

it is important that these forums are conducted in a civilised non judgemental manner and this is as close to that ideal as I can manage!

MarieK  does not want to say anything more to me. Good!

• Like 2

I suggest that there are far more caring dog owners on here who know more about Yetis and dogs than you do. 

Quite obviously you do not and will not listen to them, but will take a very arrogant and uncaring stance.

It is a great shame there isn't an ignore facility as personally that is where you belong.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 20:26, KITKIRK said:

:inlove:In my new (to me) yeti outdoor I placed my dog in the boot. I live in southern Spain and despite window reflectors the boot got a little warm. Too warm.

On my old Berlingo I could leave large ventilation gaps because it was beat up enough not to be worth nicking. (I used to have a Yugo that you could safely leave the keys in as no self respecting twocker would touch it).

My new toy is too shiny to leave undefended. I suppose I could make metal grille to trap in the rest windows. How would this compromise the alarm system?

Anybody with bright ideas to stop my dogs blood boiling?

Well, to stop the majority of Forum Members blood boiling. How about buying back that old Berlingo and leave all the windows open. Or an old Yugo. Less mileage on your shiny new toy and that would be good for you too.

Is that practical enough?

Bill :)

I'll start by saying I'm with the majority on this thread - for the mathematically minded......  dog+boot+sun=dead dog.  So just don't do it.

But as Kitkirk is going to carry on putting his dog in the boot anyway he might take a look at this https://www.ventlock.com/tailgatelock.php .

It enables you to leave the tailgate ajar so the dog does at least get some direct ventilation rather than whatever air gets over the back seat; try sitting in the back with the windows down a couple of inches and your head on the floor and you will have a good idea how much of a breeze there really is in the back. Once it is in place you just lock the car as usual, disabling the motion sensor. I've bought one for occasional use (hence the link but Amazon etc. have similar) and it won't keep out a determined thief with an angle grinder but then the windows won't withstand a wall brick!

If you forget to de-activate the rain sensor and a brief shower closes the windows and then the sun comes back out the ventilation round the tailgate gives a little extra time to get back to the car and rescue the dog. 

Just make sure you buy one long enough to leave a decent gap but not so big the dog can get out. (Parked in the garden centre under trees on a warm day and put this in to give a bit of extra ventilation leaving the sunroof open a couple of notches.  Came out to find my Jack Russell sitting by the back bumper! When I left she was asleep on the drivers seat!

• Thanks 1