MKIII Superb heated windscreen.

Hi people.

I've just taken ownership of a fully loaded L&K and the spec says it has heated windscreen.

It has a button for the heated windscreen, which is operational ... 

My query is that I just can't see any element in the glass. I queried this with the dealer who claimed it was a different type of technology.

I've been to a local main dealer who wasn't sure.

Can anyone clear it up for me please (pun intended). Should the windscreen on a 66 plate L&K have a visible element in it?

Thanks in advance.

My 18 plate Kodiaq has a heated screen, no lines or filaments to be seen.

Times have changed, technology has improved, these days are over...

heated@2x.jpg.d212e559118da14419a13bdabaaac289.jpg

By the way, you're in the Octavia forum :)

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

My 18 plate Kodiaq has a heated screen, no lines or filaments to be seen.

Times have changed, technology has improved, these days are over...

heated@2x.jpg.d212e559118da14419a13bdabaaac289.jpg

By the way, you're in the Octavia forum :)

Lol. I'll move it and add this link then:-

• Like 1

I do apologise... I was posting from my phone so presume I clicked on something without realising.

Thanks for moving and thanks for that link.

I'm coming from a Kuga with filaments to a superb with different tech made me somewhat sceptical.

Thanks for all who contributed.

Superb heated screen uses a metalic film rather than wire elements. The film acts as the solar reflective layer too.

All other models (as far as I've seen) use the wire filaments (much simpler construction, and therefore cheaper production costs) 

• Like 2

This is how it's described in the July 2018 pricing and spec book ->>> Pricing and Specification

"Designed to quickly defrost or demist the windscreen. A thin metal-coated layer is used throughout the glass area and heats whilst the engine is running. This also reflects heat when warm outside to help keep the interior cool."

• Like 1

If the screen has a 'metallic' tinge to it then its got a heated screen. No visible wires.  Picture below is my 2018 SportLine with heated screen, you can kind-of see it. Ignore the weird diagonal line, its a reflection of our telephone wire!

630315217_car3.JPG.744a1f1e8b64445712f99f52f2f4aa28.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 01/09/2018 at 16:32, edwards said:

If the screen has a 'metallic' tinge to it then its got a heated screen. No visible wires.  Picture below is my 2018 SportLine with heated screen, you can kind-of see it. Ignore the weird diagonal line, its a reflection of our telephone wire!

630315217_car3.JPG.744a1f1e8b64445712f99f52f2f4aa28.JPG

I love the look of these windscreens.

I had an Opel Insignia a few years back and it had the same Heat Insulated Windscreen and it worked a treat!

It did not have a heat element though, so did not defrost the screen. Only stopped additional heat / UV.

Would love to see if that windscreen could be ordered in Australia.

Do you have the Part Number or any info stamped on the screen?

2 hours ago, ope126 said:

I love the look of these windscreens.

I had an Opel Insignia a few years back and it had the same Heat Insulated Windscreen and it worked a treat!

It did not have a heat element though, so did not defrost the screen. Only stopped additional heat / UV.

Would love to see if that windscreen could be ordered in Australia.

Do you have the Part Number or any info stamped on the screen?

One thing to think about if you are considering replacing the windscreen. I have the heated version and after 20,000 UK miles it is covered in small chips, including one that, despite professional repair, looks like it is developing into a crack that will require the screen to be replaced. An expensive and painful process if it means the camera also has to be recalibrated.

I've no proof that the heated version is any more susceptible to this than the unheated version, but personal experience is that the heated one is pretty brittle / easily damaged.

On 11/10/2018 at 00:11, Mickey43 said:

Mine has a slightly bronze metallic hue, which you can see when the sun catches it.  Looks rather nice actually.

Yeah, I think that looks awesome!!!

• 1 year later...
On 09/10/2018 at 22:34, MartiniB said:

some numbers you will find in the link i posted above

@MartiniB it turns out I have the following Windscreen; ŠKODA Part No. 3V0845011AJ NVB

What I want to get is ŠKODA Part No. 3V0845011AE NVB (this is the Heated Screen).

Now I don't want it for the Heated Screen, what I want it for is its "Heat Reflective" properties which will keep the car interior cooler.

My Parts department have mentioned that they could order it, however due to COVID-19 we are looking at about 3mths wait...

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 04:45, ope126 said:

@MartiniB it turns out I have the following Windscreen; ŠKODA Part No. 3V0845011AJ NVB

What I want to get is ŠKODA Part No. 3V0845011AE NVB (this is the Heated Screen).

Now I don't want it for the Heated Screen, what I want it for is its "Heat Reflective" properties which will keep the car interior cooler.

My Parts department have mentioned that they could order it, however due to COVID-19 we are looking at about 3mths wait...

It may be a really expensive modification for a veray small gain. Don't expect to save 10°F just by replacing the windscreen with so much metal all around. Cars are not known for their thermal insulation properties... ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bap33 said:

It may be a really expensive modification for a veray small gain. Don't expect to save 10°F just by replacing the windscreen with so much metal all around. Cars are not known for their thermal insulation properties... ;)

Insurance will be paying...

Just need to confirm the correct part number, as VAG Australia can order from overseas.

I had the same on a 2012 Opel Insignia, the windscreen made a significant difference...

36 minutes ago, ope126 said:

Insurance will be paying...

Just need to confirm the correct part number, as VAG Australia can order from overseas.

I had the same on a 2012 Opel Insignia, the windscreen made a significant difference...

Are you really sure? 🤔

Here is my humble experience: I had to replace my wind screen last year due to a stone impact. The insurance expert asked for the car registration certificate, in order to check that my car really had a heat reflective wind screen mounted from the factory. Hopefully it did, otherwise, I would probably have to pay the difference... 

Edited by Bap33

Yeah I have to add: Make sure you have a low deductible on windshield replacement if you have or decide to go for the heated one. I have it on mine and a stone chip within the first 3 months nearly demanded replacement which was over 1100EUR in total, part of the increased cost was down to it having the special coating as explained from the Carglass guy. The crack got repaired as good as it could be which makes it still visilbe under certain light-angle but with the frequency wind-shields crack here on all cars, i'm not sure if I got away for good.