About to buy 2004 1.9 tdi 110bhp octavia Laurin klement estate

Hello everybody,

as the title says I am buying a skoda octavia 1.9 tdi 110bhp Laurin klement estate on a 2004 plate. 

My understanding is that it's a non pd engine as it's 5 gear manual. 

Mileage is 140K and cambelt n waterpump done at 115K.

What engine code did these engines have?

And lastly, are these good n reliable cars to have? 

Any pointers on what should I be looking out for?

Many thanks in advance

A workmate of mine has one (only Elegance spec) and loves it. Not sure on his current mileage but towards 200k miles I think.

EGR valves tend to get clogged, turbo vanes may also get sticky with carbon deposits; but same is true for any of these turbodiesel engines.

He has one or two problems with water getting into the cabin, and his A/C isn't very predictable, but generally yes, very reliable engine and car.

Have a look through the Mk1 Octavia sub-forum perhaps, looking for similar questions being asked/answered.

200K circa sounds impressive indeed. I think I will tackle the water ingress first of. And let's hope that turbo vanes are not sticky. Depending on how big of a job it is- I will remove and clean the erg valve myself. 

With regards to ac I will test it before buying and actually same goes for turbo vanes and limp mode.

thank you once again.

just out of curiosity, what do you drive? 

Well, I drive an Elegance with the same engine and box; it's through 140kmiles with no sign of sticky vanes. In fact the biggest failure has been the throttle potentiometer (angle sensor), which requires an entire pedal assembly unless you can find the right spec pot.

(BTW, the Elegance is the same spec apart from the different wheels and standard leather on the L&K)

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

(BTW, the Elegance is the same spec apart from the different wheels and standard leather on the L&K)

Xenons?

Climate?

Cruise?

Side airbags?

Heated seats?

MFD?

ESP?

6CD changer?

I think they were all standard on the L&K. Pretty sure the Elegance didn't have Xenons as standard, not sure about the other options.

Edited by petrolbloke

3 hours ago, Arshwesh said:

200K circa sounds impressive indeed

I just asked him, and it seems I exaggerated the mileage a bit, more like 165k.  His is a 2004 too.

Still, that's really not much in diesel terms;  our 3-pot petrol Fabia will roll over 160k in the next week or two.

Another Elegance owner with ASV unit here.

Its a great basic diesel, good for intergalactic distances.

Probably not the best if doing a lot of town driving - as mentioned above turbo vanes can stick also old diesels may end up being banned in some towns.

Non routine work in 10 years of owning it :

- replace ARB bushes

- replace break switch

- replace 'alternator freewheel pulley'   ( might not be the correct description )

- next will be drivers door microswitch.

I had 230k on my 2004 ALH (90bhp) when i traded it in, engine perfect. Iirc the only difference ALH to ASV was injector size and minor ecu fuelling difference to compensate?

There is a youtube video of another irish 2002 ALH which skoda ireland were giving to journalists with 500k on it... still running like a clock, with all the regular broken bits like boot trim in the boot, windows a bit intermittent.. pretty sure 1 door wouldnt unlock :D

I think ze germans built those 1.9s for use in military vehicles.. i reckon a shot from a AK straight into a cylinder and it would be shrugged off and keep going :D

And very frugal given their age these days..

Honestly though, great engines...

I drive a 54 L&C Estate, had it for 6 years , now close to 198k, never let me down, had the usual problems you will see on here, sticky door locks,  all down to the control mechanism being in the drivers door and gets wet. sticky Vanes, I usually do the Mr Muscle clean once a year with the elephant mod, seems to help.

whether its the weight I carry  ? but I wear tyres down , if I get the chance of another I would buy it.

heated seats in Winter are Nice

On 11/10/2018 at 10:40, Arshwesh said:

Hello everybody,

as the title says I am buying a skoda octavia 1.9 tdi 110bhp Laurin klement estate on a 2004 plate. 

... are these good n reliable cars to have? 

Any pointers on what should I be looking out for?

Many thanks in advance

We've had a 2003 1.9 TDI L&K estate since new, and it has now done > 155,000 miles. It's been a superb car and still gets used regularly, although it is no longer anybody's main vehicle. It's our family's spare car, which gets used when other cars are being serviced, or you can't get the thing you want to carry into your beetle, or you want to take the family and the dog somewhere. It's had its moments (the most challenging was when the turbo gave up the ghost at about 140,000 miles) but by and large it's been very reliable. The air conditioning is still the best and most reliable of all our cars. Go for it and enjoy cheap and reliable motoring. If the driver's floor gets wet, check that the cover over the pedal mechanism is watertight and that the area around it isn't choked with leaves. And if it has a sunroof (ours has) check that the drains aren't blocked. They come out in the A pillar, by the door hinge. We just don't seem to be able to part with it ...

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 22:24, mac11irl said:

I had 230k on my 2004 ALH (90bhp) when i traded it in, engine perfect. Iirc the only difference ALH to ASV was injector size and minor ecu fuelling difference to compensate?

There is a youtube video of another irish 2002 ALH which skoda ireland were giving to journalists with 500k on it... still running like a clock, with all the regular broken bits like boot trim in the boot, windows a bit intermittent.. pretty sure 1 door wouldnt unlock :D

I thought the turbo was different also. The ALH having a wastegate and the ASV having a VNT. Or it may have been the earlier AHU that had the wastegate rather than the later ALH.

Sorry guys, unfortunately I was not able to buy the octavia. The seller said that he had changes in his circumstances and he could not sell it anymore.

But not all is bad- I am meant to be looking at a fabia1.9 tdi pd 100 bhp bohemia estate.

I will keep you guys informed. 

I would like to say thanks to everyone who contributed to my post.

Edited by Arshwesh

I scrapped my 2002 1.9TDi last month with 325000 miles on it, still running like a swiss watch and had defied all my attempts to kill it, replaced alternator brushes, only one cam belt once and no tensioners or pulleys, original injectors exhaust, never ever broke down in all that time.

It was the canbus electrics that defeated me and I got fed up with having only the drivers door that would open, I have now bought a MK2 and got VCDS and realise that with it I could easily have diagnosed and fixed the locking problem, I had a new comfort control module and all it probably needed was coding.

I wanted to buy the same car 2004ish but with lower mileage, yours would have been ideal but I ended up with a superb MK2 for less money, a much improved vehicle but as a driver I preferred my MK1 even with its high mileage and general sloppiness there was far more feedback from the road.

43 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

I thought the turbo was different also. The ALH having a wastegate and the ASV having a VNT. Or it may have been the earlier AHU that had the wastegate rather than the later ALH.

Think it was the earlier one was wastegate and fixed vane, as mine was listed as a VNT. There were deffo 2 versions.

OP, Pity it fell through on the purchase, youll find another, dont worry