EV real world range and cost to charge

xman

14 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Is there a Gov UK website on the Legislation, a press release & an announcement on the Law in England / Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland? 

This is an explanation by Podpoint that contains a link to gov regs:

https://pod-point.com/electric-car-news/smart-chargepoint-regs

Existing installs or chargers are still allowed.

In other news, PiCG for cars has been scrapped as of today.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've just come back from a touring holiday of the Scottish highlands and want to say the cost to charge has been amazingly low. I didn't seek out free chargers or anything but happened to get quite a few. Those I did pay for were very reasonable from Chargeplace Scotland. We got a free charge on a Geniepoint in Kendal on the way home courtesy of Bonnet. £95 for 1900 miles. I'm well content with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will be a camp site even if it is Pods or maybe a Pod site. 

There are Camping in cars with no tents, and dogging without a dog. 

There are not enough 'Best EV's for dogging' videos.

This looks perfect.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, roottoot said:

It will be a camp site even if it is Pods or maybe a Pod site.

The top search on Google for "camping" returns the definition "the activity of spending a holiday living in a tent."

A pod is not a tent; a tent is canvas (or similar) but those shown in the picture are wooden constructions so are a chalet or similar.

• Love it! 1
  • Kiss 1

I have camped under shelter stones and in sheds and all sorts and in camper vans / cars, i set up camp without having a tent.  Maybe i bivvy in a bivvy.

So as for google then on you go, but people camped long before the internet, maybe in yurts, wigwams maybe in benders, but some see those as tents and not shelters. 

You get wooden wigwams. 

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

....wigwams maybe in benders, but some see those as tents and not shelters. 

You get wooden wigwams. 

Aren't the thing that most of us think as Wigwams, really teepees (Tipi?) ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A small piece of good news on the cost of public charging. Electric Juice (Octopus Energy's charging card) and Osprey announced cheaper charging at off peak times, 20% discount when charging between 19:00 and 23:00.

14 hours ago, Luckypants said:

A small piece of good news on the cost of public charging. Electric Juice (Octopus Energy's charging card) and Osprey announced cheaper charging at off peak times, 20% discount when charging between 19:00 and 23:00.

Good news.  Been waiting to use my Octopus GO RFID card and that is quite a discount.  Remembering all these rates and timing will be a bit challenging.

Just goes on to my electricity/gas bill so the £400 credit can partly goes to this maybe as I will have a big surplus amount on my  Octopus account when the £400 hits.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2022 at 14:31, Luckypants said:

I think this is good news for EV users, but I also suspect this may have a sting in the tail.

Once lower "off-peak" tariffs are normalised, I suspect it won't be too long before higher "peak" tariffs make their appearance.

But time will tell.

Well as Osprey have put their prices up from 25th July (66p) I think more people will take advantage of the 'off-peak' discount. So maybe a peak time tariff will come, but I think that will be driven by the price charged to Osprey by their power supplier.

However, the cheapest way to use Osprey after the price rise will be via the Bonnet app which is 50p PAYG. (you can PM me for my referral code, which gets me and you £15 towards a 'refill')

Edited by Luckypants

Good news from Rishi Sunak, which hopefully Liz will have to match, and that is to remove the VAT from home energy bills. 

So home charging would be 5% cheaper.

Hopefully in time for when the cost of electricity takes a hike for many of us in September/October.

Could mean £160 less on a years energy bill.

• Like 1

^^^ If the Price Cap rises above £3,000 as i heard it. 

So that is when people would be paying more than £8.21 a day for their home electric and gas..

**People can gather their family or friends or just anyone that needs heat into their EV over peak times or where there is free charging and help keep them warm.**

Obviously since this in May 2022 things have got worse.  

Edited by roottoot