EV real world range and cost to charge

xman

19 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

That's reminded me just how much I miss the sound of the high revving V8 in my previous Audi RS4 🥲

Nah, 4 stroke piston engines knocked in to a cocked hat by either a Maxda 7, or 8, tuned engines or 4 cylinder two stroke bikes whole different level...

Mick Grants Kawasaki H2R racing machine, 3 cylinder 2 stroke on expansion chambers.(easy to road going version at the time)..

10 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Which is an irony, in that an EV would save me a lot of money potentially (I could write off the first years corporation tax too) but because I am busier, I can't go down the EV route for the above mentioned reasons :D

This is the current irony with EV's, in part due to the charging nature of the technology, in part due to the bad rapid charging infrastructure. It only really suites  commuter with a rigid daily pattern. (+ driveway) Sad to say this with 5 years of EV ownership, despite more EV's on the road, it still isn't for everyone. It's even sadder and worrying to remember 2030 is under 8 years away.

I saved soooo much money commuting 60 miles each day (pre-Covid) in a ~80 miles range cheap EV. Octy and Leaf costed same to buy and are similar age, but the  running cost is vastly different.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

This is the current irony with EV's, in part due to the charging nature of the technology, in part due to the bad rapid charging infrastructure. It only really suites  commuter with a rigid daily pattern. (+ driveway) Sad to say this with 5 years of EV ownership, despite more EV's on the road, it still isn't for everyone. It's even sadder and worrying to remember 2030 is under 8 years away.

I saved soooo much money commuting 60 miles each day (pre-Covid) in a ~80 miles range cheap EV. Octy and Leaf costed same to buy and are similar age, but the  running cost is vastly different.

With the Zoe with its 55 kWh battery, 52 kWh displayed and usable, I am probably not being as brave as I could be.

My main place of work, my office at Heathrow, has 10 destination chargers and I have only seen one other used so with me that is ten.

I broke on as it would not give me my expensive 3 phase cable back so I pulled its face off and it had to be made electrical safe and is still out of service.

Still not used any DC charging on route but used a few AC charging post, one at 11 kWh, all free as we as my works chargers being free, or in actuality being paid for by the host who ones the site ie my employer, the restaurant etc.   Need to bite the bullet and give a DC charger a go.  Looking forward to using the Gridserve meg stations, one in Plymouth which will be awesome with its 32 charge points....

A second EV, choosing between the new Megane-e or one of the MG is logical for me as I like cheap, paying even 6 months salary for a new car sounds too much to me, or 3 years car allowance. 

View-3-scaled-e1628592444841.jpg

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I don't like the synthetic noises that the current EVs make, although a Jetsons style wibble might be acceptable.  

Over 30 years ago I was leading a team at an automotive consultancy which had developed an engine sound synthesiser based on measurements of REAL engines, my company Vauxhall could be made to sound like an American V8, a German flat-6 or a highly tuned inline 4.

None of the car manufacturers were interested then but with EVs (and even some ICE vehicles) now having sound generators that might not have been one of their better decisions - another case of our work being ahead of the market need 😎

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Need to bite the bullet and give a DC charger a go.  Looking forward to using the Gridserve meg stations, one in Plymouth which will be awesome with its 32 charge points....

A second EV, choosing between the new Megane-e or one of the MG is logical for me as I like cheap, paying even 6 months salary for a new car sounds too much to me, or 3 years car allowance. 

View-3-scaled-e1628592444841.jpg

See, one like that, AKA EV version of petrol-station, need to be as ubiquitous as petrol stations to enable use-cases like Ms Elanore. It is possible with today's battery technology:  go there for a quick top up like visiting petrol station, 10min to over 50%. Go home to slow charge while sleeping, to 100%.

If all petrol stations, overnight, replaced half of their pump with rapid chargers (and battery for reduced grid load, like Gridserve). It would instantly solve the infrastructure problem and open up EV as an option for almost everyone.

For second EV, or become NICE family (no internal combustion engine ;) ), really really need a dependable infrastructure when away from home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wyx087 said:

See, one like that, AKA EV version of petrol-station, need to be as ubiquitous as petrol stations to enable use-cases like Ms Elanore. It is possible with today's battery technology:  go there for a quick top up like visiting petrol station, 10min to over 50%. Go home to slow charge while sleeping, to 100%.

If all petrol stations, overnight, replaced half of their pump with rapid chargers (and battery for reduced grid load, like Gridserve). It would instantly solve the infrastructure problem and open up EV as an option for almost everyone.

For second EV, or become NICE family (no internal combustion engine ;) ), really really need a dependable infrastructure when away from home.

Much as already talk to my Amazon Alexa system I can imagine doing this to my autonomous self driving car ie get home at say midnight and "tell" the car to do off and charge itself and be back for 0800 in the morning for the next drive to the new destination.

I would like 3 phase where I am and I understand from other posters on this topic that there is probably 3 phase wires only a few metres from my front door and a 22 kWh charger would be plenty I reckon for home us for the foreseeable future.

EVs will try and and go further with similar batteries I reckon, we need to see more EVs with drag coefficients around the 0.2 Cd rather than 0.3 and they need to lose about quarter to half a tonne in weight by lighter batteries and lighter chassis.  Audi built the A2 out of aluminium, disaster as it was, but just wish somebody else would move away from steel and adopt more aluminium, carbon or whatever to reduce the weights of these vehicle. My Zoe does not like hills due to its 1.6 tonne unladen weight, loves harvesting the kinetic energy on the way down though.

As looking forward to battery block one could carry if one was doing a longer journey and/or to obscure places, like this...

image.jpeg.0d0874a0f2db3fe7b357a16066431515.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

400km / 250 miles would suit many if an EV can do that with 4 adults, luggage and heating / ac and cooler weathe

r & winter tyres or even warmer weather still on the winters.

Not even getting near that with just a driver is real world time after time with EV's and unrealistic 'WLTP / Published numbers'.

EDIT.

An update vid thankfully.  

This shows just how rubbish some reviewers 'guessing' ranges of EV's having maybe only driven a few miles and then computing from that.

Then constant driving can be very different from the battery having several stops, cooling down and then driving on again.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is pretty much Real World for a not that high priced EV these days.

Maybe more expensive than many want to pay for a new family sized car.   

Handy for those visiting places and people with EV's and where you can charge and are not having to go about trying to find chargers or ones working.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Not a loaded driver, a driver and loaded vehicle.

& then the AC / Temp to suit people in a vehicle because a driver and goods do not steam up a car in the same way.

Loads of Youtubers including Robert Llewellyn seem to have steamy window cars in adverse conditions and probably because they have not set the demist or climate control as cars owners might with people and animals in cars.  

Real world.  7.45 and 350 -400 miles to do.  So 98% battery 130 miles and rainy 10 degrees.  90 miles to airport where max charging is 30 mins on a 50 kW.  Need to charge twice there.   Then 3 times more charging before home in 12 hours maybe.    I will see what the charge and range is at airport.  

50 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Real world.  7.45 and 350 -400 miles to do.  So 98% battery 130 miles and rainy 10 degrees.  90 miles to airport where max charging is 30 mins on a 50 kW.  Need to charge twice there.   Then 3 times more charging before home in 12 hours maybe.    I will see what the charge and range is at airport.  

Should have got a Zoe as you would have probably only needed one charge !   What you going to get next ?  I am sat in the Skoda dealer in Worcester but the Skoda EV are silly money and long wait.

Renault Worcester invited me to a VIP visit this week trying to get me to commit to the Megane-e and the 60 kWh should be good price and good range for battery as looks as it will be efficient like the Zoe.

• Like 1

I could not drive and sit charging comfortably  for hours in a Zoe or Niro, Soul, MG of other cars I could get from motability.   So range is not always the most important thing    9.30 am and 73 miles and that was free electric.  46% and 62 miles showing.  So out of 5 rapids 2 were available.  Got 2 nd one started.  35 pence a kWh.  I will have to come off and move chargers in 30 mins and charge some more. So what charge I get to  95% will do me til the next charger in 100 miles.  That and the next 2 charges after that should be on FREE to charge 50 kW chargers.    PS, at 81% and moved chargers.   111 mile range showing.  On an old original charger now.  Last 3 times here I have not yet been charged for the charges.  I will see today.   FREE is my favourite cost.    PPS.  So another 30 mins charging took it to 93% and 124 miles showing.    OK but not plugged in now so windows open to stop then steaming up.  I am soaked messing about getting chargers started and stopped.  Peeing down and just waiting on flight arriving then hitting the high road.     Saving money on fuel is a lifestyle thing and can be a bit of an effort.   But it looks like the charging has been free today so far. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

First 27 minutes charging showing on account.  17.6 kWh was £6.16.     so 17.6 x 3 miles is about 53 miles for that cost. If that is all it costs for 350 miles then good.     350 miles @35 pence a kWh would be cheaper than petrol.  If paying 50 pence or more a kWh then not worth it over a good economy car. 

Edited by roottoot

93 miles on and had 30% and 45 mile range showing.  Charging quickly to 90% for free. Then have to go 10 miles and can charge on a 7kW free for an hour.  Set off with 98% to head home.  90 miles to get on a charger and get enough to get 60 miles home.  Charging free before getting into Angus. 

Edited by roottoot

@Titanium_Man

It is,

but saving spending money is appealing.  

It all went smooth after the crap that comes with Edinburgh City Council having not a clue,

and i never paid for more than 8 gallons of go go juice just the £6.16 and that was worth the 3 hours charging instead of maybe £61.60.

I passed filling station charging 182.9 pence a litre for diesel.  

DSCN1354.JPG

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

@Titanium_Man

It is,

but saving spending money is appealing.  

It all went smooth after the crap that comes with Edinburgh City Council having not a clue,

and i never paid for more than 8 gallons of go go juice just the £6.16 and that was worth the 3 hours charging instead of maybe £61.60.

I passed filling station charging 182.9 pence a litre for diesel.  

DSCN1354.JPG

Saw £1.99 a litre on the motorway which some will be buying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of cost to charge, I have recently been using the Bonnet app. to access rapid chargers. The most expensive PAYG tariff is 35p. If you opt to pre-buy charges via their 'refills' that can go as low as 25p (per kWh). All offer a significant saving over current rapid charge prices. They are not partnered with many big CPOs, the most notable being Osprey, Ionity and Geniepoint in terms of numbers but there are plenty of places to charge. They are quite generous with free charging codes too, try FIRSTCHARGE2 to get your first charge for free.

more details - https://www.joinbonnet.com/

If you decide to give it a try, please ask me for my referral code to get £15 off. Note I also get £15.

Edited by Luckypants
Referral amended
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

Thanks, registered. Looks like it covers all the networks I don't have accounts with.

Though it would be better to declare that you also get £15 refill payment, I'd always declare any benefits I'd get if other people use my referral code.

Edited by john999boy
Quoted post removed.
  • Thanks 1

Just a note for people who may not realise. 

Referral codes in open forum are against the Site Guidelines.

As for contacting by PM........ 😉

Edited by john999boy
Added info.

12 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Just a note for people who may not realise. 

Referral codes in open forum are against the Site Guidelines.

As for contacting by PM........ 😉

Sorry, was unaware but understand.