VRS

melbury

Dare I ask, could someone explain the designation of VRS, what it represents and what advantages it gives. (I know I am probably the only numbty who hasnt a clue but I notice the  badge looks like something special.) 

Oh! Thanks Mac, I will be considering that for the next one. My current one seems more powerful than expected for a 3 cylinder, brakes are good, space is great and its a comfortable place to be. Can be quick off the mark  and cruises effortlessly at the maximum or beyond. 

Skoda rally cars were RS or Rally Sport but Ford owns the Copyright on that so Skoda put a V in front for 'victory'

" vRS — which stands for 'victory racing sport', the 'V' only being added in Ireland and the UK in deference to Ford's long standing use of the 'RS' handle for its performance models "

I was very please with my VRS when I had one although I tended to call it a GTI Golf in a fat suit.

It looks like a lot of horsepower when you get it but the cars are so competent (and heavy) it soon becomes merely adequate.

Edited by Aspman

As you might expect, the meaning of vRS has been discussed many, many times on this forum, with many explanations. I'm still not sure which is true. The current thinking is cars are called RS (Rally Sport) and the v is the caron/symbol you see on top of S in Škoda.

However, to answer your question, as explained above, the vRS is the sportier version of the Škoda model range, so you could think of it  as "Very Rapid Skoda"

Edited by Jim H

On 06/11/2018 at 14:19, melbury said:

Oh! Thanks Mac, I will be considering that for the next one. My current one seems more powerful than expected for a 3 cylinder, brakes are good, space is great and its a comfortable place to be. Can be quick off the mark  and cruises effortlessly at the maximum or beyond. 

Its only a badge. What really matters is does the car suit you. Since you seem to be happy with your existing car what advantage could buying one with a VRS badge have for you personally.

A cheap alternative, visit a scrapyard and buy the badge off a VRS and stick it on. Won't make it go faster but if a badge really matters its a cheap way to get one.

Me, well happy enough with an SE and an SE-L on the drive (and neither have a badge to show others this fact).

13 hours ago, Aspman said:

Skoda rally cars were RS or Rally Sport but Ford owns the Copyright on that so Skoda put a V in front for 'victory'

I was very please with my VRS when I had one although I tended to call it a GTI Golf in a fat suit.

It looks like a lot of horsepower when you get it but the cars are so competent (and heavy) it soon becomes merely adequate.

very informative thank you Aspman

7 hours ago, Jim H said:

As you might expect, the meaning of vRS has been discussed many, many times on this forum, with many explanations. I'm still not sure which is true. The current thinking is cars are called RS (Rally Sport) and the v is the caron/symbol you see on top of S in Škoda.

However, to answer your question, as explained above, the vRS is the sportier version of the Škoda model range, so you could think of it  as "Very Rapid Skoda"

interesting, thanks jim

14 hours ago, Aspman said:

A BMW335D is really heavy compared to a Vrs and is merely adequate in horsepower terms.:tongueout:My Vrs stands for Very Rapid Skoda.:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Lol,  you are having a giraffe.  Have you tried a 335d X-drive.   More than adequate when someone in a remapped Octavia vRS thinks they are going to be taking everyone like a king.  

I thought Mil was the King Slayer in his 2.0L Fabia.  :thinking:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

A BMW335D is really heavy compared to a Vrs and is merely adequate in horsepower terms.:tongueout:My Vrs stands for Very Rapid Skoda.:D

The hp is indeed merely adequate but the 630nm of torque livens things up.

The beemer is too heavy to be much fun, it quickly gets quite scary when you start to throw its 2 ton arse around.

51 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Trust me it's not important just some Scottish sense of humour wind up!:tongueout:

Wind up!, I havent a clue. dont know who  Mil is either, never heard of it.