Sportline suspension upgrade

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

@JR RS   can you provide a side photo as perpendicularly as possible to the side to compare with how much the rear drops on just the Eibach springs and stock spacer? Thanks

I didn't realise there was a "stock spacer" above the spring.

I'm not sure why u would drop it by 20 mm on Eibach springs, only to raise it back up 10mm with a thicker spacer!?!?

Makes no sense.  Mine dropped evenly 20mm front and rear.

I personally would not be dropping the front n keeping the rears higher.

The Superb already has a "nose dive" body by design.

Nonetheless, these r the only 2 side in shots I have....

Screenshot_20200429-220445.thumb.png.76722f9ba3fbd526936f70ccca1c4130.png

Screenshot_20200429-220409.thumb.png.4078921d92922da86f2a396152c0bd34.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

I didn't realise there was a "stock spacer" above the spring.

I'm not sure why u would drop it by 20 mm on Eibach springs, only to raise it back up 10mm with a thicker spacer!?!?

Makes no sense.  Mine dropped evenly 20mm front and rear.

I personally would not be dropping the front n keeping the rears higher.

The Superb already has a "nose dive" body by design.

Well, I think that's easy to answer, because the drop is a tad more than what some people would like to achieve. For example, If I ran coilovers I would adjust them to be only 15mm lower than where my car currently sits, not more, not less. If Eibachs are not dropping more than 20mm it's still acceptable but If the rear looks to be a bigger drop than the front for some reason, I'd like to correct this, or at least know that I have an option to do.

Thanks for the pictures also. Now if I'm honest, in your top picture there is a bit of the exact effect I described previously :blush  : 

The arch gap is squeezing at the top area, which is something I have strong feelings against. With an average boot load it would be even more pronounced. I am showing it more clearly in the screenshot below:

Capture.JPG.1fcad0642220ef78894783d121a8d9aa.JPG

Comparing that to the black Superb with the Audi spring spacer (below) I'd prefer the latter:

83A9F8F5-8AFB-4D99-9D45-262355A27420.jpeg.100972cc101cb7b6edccdeb59a8465b0.jpeg

Now this is not about criticizing what people like or don't like on their car at all, but simply gathering all info available on how can everyone get their cars to the state and looks they're after.

The good thing is the rear springs are a much easier task so I can easily start with Eibachs only, and if it's more than what I like I can always go back and add the Audi spacer or the spring buffers I mentioned in a previous post.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

Fair enough.

As I said, u can always add that spacer in afterwards if it's too low for ur liking.

Or vice versa, remove the spacer if it's not sitting low enough.

I must say, the black car looks like how mine was before the Eibach springs went in......

Screenshot_20200429-232227.thumb.png.6abfd27e72521d117db5c797f0083d2b.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Well, I think that's easy to answer, because the drop is a tad more than what some people would like to achieve. For example, If I ran coilovers I would adjust them to be only 15mm lower than where my car currently sits, not more, not less. If Eibachs are not dropping more than 20mm it's still acceptable but If the rear looks to be a bigger drop than the front for some reason, I'd like to correct this, or at least know that I have an option to do.

Thanks for the pictures also. Now if I'm honest, in your top picture there is a bit of the exact effect I described previously :blush  : 

The arch gap is squeezing at the top area, which is something I have strong feelings against. With an average boot load it would be even more pronounced. I am showing it more clearly in the screenshot below:

Capture.JPG.1fcad0642220ef78894783d121a8d9aa.JPG

Comparing that to the black Superb with the Audi spring spacer (below) I'd prefer the latter:

Now this is not about criticizing what people like or don't like on their car at all, but simply gathering all info available on how can everyone get their cars to the state and looks they're after.

The good thing is the rear springs are a much easier task so I can easily start with Eibachs only, and if it's more than what I like I can always go back and add the Audi spacer or the spring buffers I mentioned in a previous post.

Your first picture explains nicely what I'm trying to avoid too. I have no issue at all with the Sportlines current ride height, all I'm interested in is firming up the suspension to remove some of the float in the corners and the bouncing over some bumps. I'd like it to be like our old VRS, firm, but still comfortable. Now if only we can find some front spacers.

22 minutes ago, TheBinarySheep said:

Your first picture explains nicely what I'm trying to avoid too. I have no issue at all with the Sportlines current ride height, all I'm interested in is firming up the suspension to remove some of the float in the corners and the bouncing over some bumps. I'd like it to be like our old VRS, firm, but still comfortable. Now if only we can find some front spacers.

Do you really find the front suffers from this effect too? I think the front drop is just fine (wouldn't like any lower but it's ok as is), it's the rear where it becomes more noticeable for me and I am 50-50 on whether I like it or not.

Another thing I'm thinking is moving to 20" alloys as I fancied a sportier set. Apart from filling the Superb's huge arches better (I've seen Superbs on 20" and they don't look aftermarket at all) they would provide a 5mm arch gap reduction (4.45mm to be precise) and so it might provide part of the visual improvement I'm after without lowering.

If it's the corner floating that annoys you more than the looks, you should be looking at a rear arb upgrade first trust me!

54 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Do you really find the front suffers from this effect too? I think the front drop is just fine (wouldn't like any lower but it's ok as is), it's the rear where it becomes more noticeable for me and I am 50-50 on whether I like it or not.

Another thing I'm thinking is moving to 20" alloys as I fancied a sportier set. Apart from filling the Superb's huge arches better (I've seen Superbs on 20" and they don't look aftermarket at all) they would provide a 5mm arch gap reduction (4.45mm to be precise) and so it might provide part of the visual improvement I'm after without lowering.

If it's the corner floating that annoys you more than the looks, you should be looking at a rear arb upgrade first trust me!

it's two things really, the first is the lean in the corners, and second is the bouncing over bumps. How much is a rear roll bar?

1 minute ago, TheBinarySheep said:

it's two things really, the first is the lean in the corners, and second is the bouncing over bumps. How much is a rear roll bar?

Sure springs would help a bit with both although they would not ideally address neither the roll (that's the arb's job) or the bouncing (that's dampers). It's a quick shot option though that will get you some results, if you're ok with the lower ride height.

The rear arb is 180-200pounds on ebay, I bought it from a Swedish shop so slightly different prices. I started a thread about it (it's in my signature) if you want to read up a bit.

1 hour ago, TheBinarySheep said:

I had mine fitted today for £260 incl. 

Edited by Bejam

11 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Had a chance to chuck it into a corner and test if it feels stiffer (the ARB of course).

Not yet - had a boot full of winter tyres, as they swapped those for me too, so will take it for a proper spin tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBinarySheep said:

Can I ask, what spacers did you get, and is it 12mm front and back?

yea the spacers are H&R and they are 12mm front and back mate. I run 15mm front and back in winter rims which are a 51mm offset from my old octavia. 12mm are perfect on the sportline rims tho 

6 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

yea the spacers are H&R and they are 12mm front and back mate. I run 15mm front and back in winter rims which are a 51mm offset from my old octavia. 12mm are perfect on the sportline rims tho 

Do you have a link to them?

On 30/04/2020 at 16:35, TheBinarySheep said:

It'll be interesting to hear what difference the ARB makes. I expect it to reduce body roll in the corners, but not get rid of the floatiness over bumps.

Yes and yes. I wrote a review of mine already in case you missed it.

2 hours ago, TheBinarySheep said:

Are the spacers for the 280 the same as those that you would fit to a Golf R?

Yes

I ended up ordering these spacers off ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Wheel-Spacers-12mm-x-4-Skoda-Karoq-Octavia-Superb-Black-Bimecc-5x112-57-1/323982223698?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 as they work out £70 cheaper.

I did some measurements on the car, and I was tempted to go for 15mm spacers on the front as the fronts appear to be set further back in the arches than the rear, but I played it safe and went with 12mm all round.

I initially bought 12mm hubcentric spacers for the rear, but it didn't sit flush against the hub due to the hub lip.

I had no issues with the 15mm hubcentric spacers.

I think the 15mm works perfectly well with the 19" Phoenix wheels.

IMAG4518.thumb.jpg.65aa0cfba43394b136a6a9fcd4343a08.jpg

27 minutes ago, JR RS said:

I initially bought 12mm hubcentric spacers for the rear, but it didn't sit flush against the hub due to the hub lip.

I had no issues with the 15mm hubcentric spacers.

I think the 15mm works perfectly well with the 19" Phoenix wheels.

IMAG4518.thumb.jpg.65aa0cfba43394b136a6a9fcd4343a08.jpg

JR RS,

Any chance of a close up picture of the wheels / brakes to see what the spacers look like.

More so to see how they look sandwiched between the wheel and rotor hat.

What a nice stance though...

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know what impact lowering springs have on manufacturers warranty? I've only got a years warranty left, but plan to extend. I'm under the impression that if you fit lowering springs then only those items directly impacted by the change will not be covered by the warranty, i.e. suspension components? My main concern is ensuring that the engine and DSG gearbox are still covered under warranty to avoid big bills. 

57 minutes ago, TheBinarySheep said:

Does anyone know what impact lowering springs have on manufacturers warranty? I've only got a years warranty left, but plan to extend. I'm under the impression that if you fit lowering springs then only those items directly impacted by the change will not be covered by the warranty, i.e. suspension components? My main concern is ensuring that the engine and DSG gearbox are still covered under warranty to avoid big bills. 

Depends on the type of claim and how helpful the dealership is. It would be quite a stretch to reject an engine job due to lowering springs (haven't ever heard of it) but if for example the shocks were shot I imagine they'd not cover them if springs were fitted.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1