Met Police ramming scooter criminals off the road

Chris

Seems to be a lot of talk about the police stopping moped thieves by driving into them. In my opinion..good. If they injure them then it's their own fault. I guess the PPI claims people are going to need a new job after August next year. I can see it now..."have you stolen a moped?, Did you get knocked off during a police chase? Call us now on 090 999 SCUM to speak to an advisor who may be able to get you £££££ in compensation." Grrrr

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1

It's been in the news a bit tonight and I wondered what peoples thought are. I don't mean the "yer F$$$ em, they should be run over and killed" sort of comments, but rather whether it's morally right. The Police are saying that part of the reason for the ramming is to protect the public and the rider themselves, but have the police gone too far? On the other hand, how do you stop the thieving scumbags? I'm not a fan of needless violence and having been in a few bicycle accidents over the years, I know how serious an injury you can get at relatively low speeds (ie under 40mph) on 2 wheels. Admittedly I was wearing lycra rather than, at the very least, regular clothing and a jacket. The inner scream I feel for justice does say the police need to do, what the police need to do, but I feel I should rise above this and hope for a different solution. I guess what I'm saying is, I think it serves the criminals right for stealing stuff in the first place, but I kind of wish I didn't.

BBC News report and a Video of Moped riders getting knocked off here

Have the Police gone too far?
No, **** 'em. 
I know that's not the kind of reply you wanted but if you rob someone of their vehicle with the intention of depriving people of their income, terrorising shopkeepers, raiding jewellery shops and acting like a **** then yeah, ram the feckless little turds off the road.
Police are almost powerless when it comes to catching these scrotes, are underfunded and overstretched.

EDIT; That response comes from a Metropolitan Liberal Elite 'snowflake' ;) 

I’ve no objections to those fleeing the police been forcibly stopped be they on bikes or in cars. It’s not usually the criminal that comes off worse but some innocent third party minding their own business. If there are protocols so the officer chasing has to request permission to stop the criminal rather than just acting out of the heat of the moment I have no issues. I speak as a biker and former toe rag. 

I also have no issues with the tactics. I expect the officers would have had some additional training to try and do it as safe as possible, for example a gentle nudge from behind is better than a t-bone at 30mph. As dangerous criminals they've put themselves in harms way, not to mention the innocent public so it's the only option in my opinion. 

That said, the tipsy child in me wonders if there should be a Road Rash division established:cool:

Road-Rash-Pc-Game-Screenshot-.jpg

29 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

It's been in the news a bit tonight and I wondered what peoples thought are. I don't mean the "yer F$$$ em, they should be run over and killed" sort of comments, but rather whether it's morally right. The Police are saying that part of the reason for the ramming is to protect the public and the rider themselves, but have the police gone too far? On the other hand, how do you stop the thieving scumbags? I'm not a fan of needless violence and having been in a few bicycle accidents over the years, I know how serious an injury you can get at relatively low speeds (ie under 40mph) on 2 wheels. Admittedly I was wearing lycra rather than, at the very least, regular clothing and a jacket. The inner scream I feel for justice does say the police need to do, what the police need to do, but I feel I should rise above this and hope for a different solution. I guess what I'm saying is, I think it serves the criminals right for stealing stuff in the first place, but I kind of wish I didn't.

BBC News report and a Video of Moped riders getting knocked off here

Rising above base instincts is so old fashioned these days.

You’d definitely be a Fox News enemy.........and, sadly Sky News Australia too (after 6pm particularly).

As long as the judge gives them a long prison sentence once the police have scraped them off of the tarmac I'm all for it.

They rob, terrorise and threaten innocent hard working people who they have NO care or regard for and openly flout the law by removing the numberplates off stolen mopeds, riding without a licence or insurance, running red lights and riding on the pavement and removing their motorcycle helmets in order to force the police to 'back-off' so they can get away scott free.

Good for the police fighting back, about time these scumbags had a taste of their own medicine hahaha.

What I would like to know is..................................................... Why the hell is this tactic not being 'rolled out' across the whole country???  :D

• Like 1

Are the Police Vehicles in London, Manchester or anyplace in the UK going to be getting New Zealand / USA or other Nations Police Vehicles with 'Push bars', 

or are they going In for the Hit, with Standard Cars with Air Bags and Fuel Cut Off switches or with those Disabled.

Or Bull Bars that are Illegal to Fit in the EU?

Maybe the 'Soft Touch' type 'Bull / Roo bars are being fitted.

'Police Procurement ideas courtesy of Ebay, Amazon, Gumtree or even Walmart....'

Edited by Offski

I don't think it's simply a case of ramming them off the road, it is planned and only in the right circumstances.

Was quite impressed with the way it was handled a few weeks ago where I lived.

2 lads on mopeds with no helmets and balaclavas were driving up and down the main road outside the rugby club, coaxing and winding up the coppers who were there for crowd control, preventing vehicles stopping and blocking the road etc.

I commented to one of them that it must really annoy them and I bet  they were tempted to run out into the road and push them off.

They said they weren't allowed to push them but if they were still doing it when the crowds were inside and safe they were going to try something.

I was still outside as was waiting for people and basically they basically boxed in 1 of the riders and forced him to stop. No injuries, no damage. Shame theybdidnt get the other one.

I guess the thought of going into another vehicle or trying to mount a 6inch curb was enough to make them stop.

I will now be interested to see what they do with faster bikes and nuisance quad bikes in the area....

The police don't have to knock them off of the mopeds, a big stick through the front wheel is just as effective. 

• Haha 1

I'm all for it in most circumstances. Also with the 'run em down then run em over' idealists.

But.... it won't be long before we see some poor copper up for GBH for doing this or worse copper makes a mistake and scooter ends up flying into a pavement filled with prams.

Give it a couple of days and some manky scrote will be in front of the telly saying "he never did nuffink to no one, he was a good guy and those GBH, burglary, attempted murder, theft, robbery charges were all faked/ just a cry for help".

I'm sure there is a precedent with car chases and plod have to back off.

Mr Loophole the lawyer was on telly this morning, he was quite clear to make a distinction between his opinion (knock 'em down) and the law. But he thought this was quite likely dangerous driving.

Most half-decent riders will be able to nip down a side-street and evade Police anyway... I speak from various experiences.

But Police have too long been powerless when it comes to dealing with things like this and it's time for things to swing back again.

Line 'em up and knock 'em down, boys!!

2 hours ago, CWARD said:

This is the person who would be Home Secretary should Labour come to power :o

A truly scary prospect if ever there was one...

Another example of things being done right

Takes a while but it's worth it. Might be sweary if you're on speakers, I can't remember.

Admittedly I've no idea why the guy just filmed this and didn't drop something heavy on the scrote .Also the scrote never looked up not once.

Edited by Aspman
  • Haha 1