Glove box won't stay closed

The lid is very easy to remove, open the door grab both sides then close about 2 inches then pull one side at a time up and it will clip off the bottom hinge. To re-fit you need to unsure the stops are back behind the top lip then pop the bottom back onto the hinge pins one side at a time. To reconnect the damper you have to have very small hands and take off the cover on the side of the dash so you can see the hole it goes into.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

John that's really helpful, many thanks 

4 minutes ago, jjc said:

The lid is very easy to remove, open the door grab both sides then close about 2 inches then pull one side at a time up and it will clip off the bottom hinge. To re-fit you need to unsure the stops are back behind the top lip then pop the bottom back onto the hinge pins one side at a time. To reconnect the damper you have to have very small hands and take off the cover on the side of the dash so you can see the hole it goes into.

John

Just seen this post pop up.
I've got the same issue in my Feb'18 Superb.

I'm about to buy it from the lease comapny and figured Id try and get this niggle fixed before I commit 🙂  

6 hours ago, mattbuzz said:

@Vidmordid you get anywhere with this?
I'm looking to try and fix mine

TIA

Matt

I gave ours a tiny squirt with some dry silicone spray and that solved the issue of the NS catch not fully popping out and that, in turn, solved the problem of it not fully closing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, numskull said:

I gave ours a tiny squirt with some dry silicone spray and that solved the issue of the NS catch not fully popping out and that, in turn, solved the problem of it not fully closing. 

Thanks I'll give that a go before going nuclear with a new part (€169)!

5 hours ago, Vidmor said:

Thanks for the info , so it wouldn't show how to swap the lid /door out for a new one like this (I haven't double checked the part number for RHD, colour etc - but in principle?) https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5e1857121d9b9-dashboard-glove-box-lid-skoda-31129.html (assuming the new part works better!). The videos I have seen of glove box removal seem quite involved removing the CD Player / ICE box and all the plugs etc 

That is for an octavia where the door is removed to access the fuse box. 

You can buy the door on its own for the superb but it wont be listed on erwin as it is just 2 pins as hinges to pull the door off.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

That is for an octavia where the door is removed to access the fuse box. 

You can buy the door on its own for the superb but it wont be listed on erwin as it is just 2 pins as hinges to pull the door off.

Thanks very much! :)

2 hours ago, Vidmor said:

Thanks I'll give that a go before going nuclear with a new part (€169)!

I tried WD40 hoping to free up the pin...
It felt eith sticky with grease or its similar in operation to those "soft close" dampers.
I was hoping it was the first, and the WD would free it up but it didnt 😕 

On 26/11/2018 at 13:28, iperry said:

the far left side (towards the passenger door) droops down when closed

This is the same as mine, the left hand side of the glove box door seems to have distorted slightly and I believe that the l/h latch pin no longer aligns with the hole on the glove box.  

Can you confirm that your replacement door now sits flush with the box?

Neither of the latch pins on my door are sticking, the l/h side just doesn't engage with the hole. 

While investigating mine, I found that it's easy to dismantle the latch mechanism - pull the button outwards and all will become clear. No tools are needed and all the parts can be accessed so it might reveal the problem if your latch pins are sticky.

The actual fault on mine is that the left hand hinge doesn't clip firmly into place on the dashboard and occassionally needs to be lifted back into place. This realigns the latch pin and all will be well for a while. 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 18:31, jjc said:

John

John, this is great, thank you.     I've just tried doing it (what I think you mean), and can't seem to get it to unclip off the hinges (how hard did you force it?).    Also - did you disconnect the damper prior to taking out the lid?
So to clarify,  you opened the lid, then closed it/pushed it up 2 inches,  and then you  were able to pull upwards (and outwards?) to get each clip out of the hinge?

thanks
Matt 

I have had the same issue for a few years now on a 2016 superb it sometimes is ok but the Nearside pin doesnt pertrude far enough to lock. I had the box replaced under warranty when it was covered.

I will try some WD and a wiggle and hopefully I can ditch the Electricians tape that is currently keeping it shut haha!!.#

48 minutes ago, danmooney said:

I have had the same issue for a few years now on a 2016 superb it sometimes is ok but the Nearside pin doesnt pertrude far enough to lock. I had the box replaced under warranty when it was covered.

I will try some WD and a wiggle and hopefully I can ditch the Electricians tape that is currently keeping it shut haha!!.#

I'm guessing that if you're now on your second box and the problem has come back, means the design flaw ( whatever that is ), was never addressed by Skoda.

Yes sounds like we can conclude whilst replacing the lid is not that difficult it won't fix the issue and some fiddling/silicone spray etc may help a bit for a while. 

"They all do that sir" 

Thanks for everyone's help! 

Been living with mine pretty much open for 2+ years now. Worse in cold weather when it just will not stay shut. 

Shall try some silicone spray on the pins and report back. 

Annoying problem this, more so at night as that glovebox light is there lol

• 3 months later...
On 27/01/2023 at 19:33, mattbuzz said:

John, this is great, thank you.     I've just tried doing it (what I think you mean), and can't seem to get it to unclip off the hinges (how hard did you force it?).    Also - did you disconnect the damper prior to taking out the lid?
So to clarify,  you opened the lid, then closed it/pushed it up 2 inches,  and then you  were able to pull upwards (and outwards?) to get each clip out of the hinge?

thanks
Matt 

@mattbuzz on my 2017 Superb it’s not possible to unclip the glove box lid in the way John says as each hinge has a hole which a plastic pin passes through, so there’s nothing to unclip.

To get in to replace a missing pin I’ve just removed the 6 torx screws, basically removed the whole glove box and turned it upside down to get to the pin.

20230525_104356_Original.jpeg
…and yes that’s how much the dealers charges for a new plastic pin £15.14! Even the parts guy was a bit sheepish and embarrassed when he brought it out, asking did I really need it and did I know how much it was?

IMG_7803.jpeg

Edited by Ed-Preston