Tips: Fabia Tips

ColinD

When filling your car with fuel the fuel cap sits on top of the flap, its what the cut outs are for in the edge of the cap.

a'la

flap.jpg

Applies to all Skodas

OMG!!!! I have tried everything i can to be so carefull not to scratch the paintwork, I have also had the my Fabia 5 years. I even carry a special "petrol rag" that i wrapped around the cap. Your a gentleman and a scholar. A big Cheers dude!:thumbup:

• 3 months later...

next time you're in a Skoda garage, pick up a spare boost pipe clip - they have a habit of losing their 'spring' even if removed only once.

That way if you get the dreaded underhood 'pop', smokiness and loss of power, you can fix it at the roadside easily...

Should you do get the 'pop syndrome' remove the ejected boost pipe completely and check the rubber seal is seated correctly in its channel or you'll do exactly the same thing a mile down the road....

(ask me how I know this, lol!)

If you lock your key in the car, get who ever has the other key to hold it next to the phone, you put your phone close to the door and when the unlock is pressed by the helpful friend/partner it may open the central locking.

I say may as it can be hit or miss, but if it works it saves on the locksmith charges or a long walk home.

I saw this on brainiac, and didn't believe it - i just had to try it and it worked on my stepdads old car (vectra 02 plate) not sure how far it'll work over

havn't tried it on the fabia

on a different note:

that rear windscreen wiper post is great thanks!

Tip on changing the fog light bulbs - (which is really tough on the fabia):

do yourself a favour and jack up the car, remove the tyre and open up the front half of the lining with a torx bit.

Pull off the front trim.

That way you can bend the wheel arch lining a bit and actually see what you're doing as well as use two hands.

Remember the clip goes horizontal...

Keep a little magnet on a stick handy for when you do drop that little **** clip...

(have no idea how I managed to do it from the front with one hand before - must've been lucky...)

This was on the side without the washer bottle - dunno if that gets in the way on the O/S)

Cheers

Bas

• 1 month later...

When filling up with really cheap diesel and wanting to stuff in as much as possible, depress the small spring loaded lever located inside and to the front, or leading edge, of the fuel pipe whilst pumping the fuel. You can usually do this with the fuel pump nozzle. Watch for diesel spray, though! This enables the tank to be filled absolutely to the brim. I have managed to get 50 litres in my Fabia tdi this way - useful in Gibraltar with diesel at about 58 p per litre!

When filling up with really cheap diesel and wanting to stuff in as much as possible, depress the small spring loaded lever located inside and to the front, or leading edge, of the fuel pipe whilst pumping the fuel. You can usually do this with the fuel pump nozzle. Watch for diesel spray, though! This enables the tank to be filled absolutely to the brim. I have managed to get 50 litres in my Fabia tdi this way - useful in Gibraltar with diesel at about 58 p per litre!

58p a litre! That's less than I'm paying for chip fat in the UK!

• 1 month later...
;) Check your cabin air filter for leaves etc by looking in the passenger footwell, its located under the dash towards the middle of the car, you slide 2 clips and pull down the filter (make a note of which way it comes out - clip on one side) mine was black and full of rubbish. After cleaning or replacement the blower should work better. :cool:

;) Check your cabin air filter for leaves etc by looking in the passenger footwell, its located under the dash towards the middle of the car, you slide 2 clips and pull down the filter (make a note of which way it comes out - clip on one side) mine was black and full of rubbish. After cleaning or replacement the blower should work better. :cool:

The last two cabin filters I've had have been carbon-impregnated, so it may be that they're meant to be black before you all throw away a perfectly serviceable filter!!!

It probably wasn't a carbon filter then. I don't think everywhere puts them in as standard. They're changed every 10k miles at service anyway, unlike the engine filters which are done every 40k (go figure!), but if you drive a lot in town, I bet they get sooty really quickly! :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

I want to put a trailer board on my Fabia (2001) but can't seem to find anywhere to plug the cable in. Have found the hole through which the cable should pass - but no sign of a socket. Manual is not overly helpful.

Any hints gratefully received.

I want to put a trailer board on my Fabia (2001) but can't seem to find anywhere to plug the cable in. Have found the hole through which the cable should pass - but no sign of a socket. Manual is not overly helpful.

Any hints gratefully received.

I'm a few miles from my Haynes manual to check for sure, but to my knowledge the Fabia doesn't have a "socket". Unless the trailer board will be permanently attached, you'll need to put a towing socket on the outside attached to the tow hitch. Once the wires go through from the towing socket into the car, you'll need to attach them into the car's wiring loom, typically using Scotchlocks

Have fun

P.S. If there is a socket, please ignore me

• 2 months later...
The last two cabin filters I've had have been carbon-impregnated, so it may be that they're meant to be black before you all throw away a perfectly serviceable filter!!!

When mounting it again be sure to put it in the right air flow position (there is some writing on the filter saying the correct air flow direction). I change mine twice often as the service recommends because it gets full of dirty and this diminish the air flow.

• 1 year later...

i did a quick clean of the throttle body by first disconnecting the battery then unscrewing and removing the body without disconnecting it and taking care not to move the butterfly flap. it now runs much better and seems more responsive. I used carb cleaner spray and very carefully got all the gunk off with a piece of soft rag. You might need a firend with VAG COM to reset it after though

Edited by ians1386

• 1 month later...

It's raining & you've left the door open. What do you do?

If you close the door while standing near the middle you get a shower!

The number plate recess holds a lot of water.

No prizes for guessing how I discovered this one.

• 3 months later...

I think I am right in saying the windows unwind ONLY if you start from having them open, use they key in the lock to shut them (Holding the key so they shut) THEN use the key to unlock, again holding it in this position until all is open. Had a similar function on an old VW Vento, opened the four windows and the sunroof.... COOL!

Check out the operation manual (boring I know) for your Stereo. You'll be amazed how many features are on there that come in handy. There is an option on the vRS H/U to switch on a 'flashing led' (play button) for added visible security.

Iv switched on the flashing LED option on the stereo but its not working on mine for some reason:doh:

Or you could simply give the rear ash tray a tug to reveal 2 torx screws. Loosen them, apply some pressure on the centre console to move it slightly towards the drivers seat, hold it there and retighten the screws :thumbup:

Also, the glovebox had a false floor, lift this up to reveal a nifty hideaway cubby :thumbup:

Just under the lighting switch there is a coke can sized cubby hole. Just pull it down. There is also a pull switch to turn the venitlation on to cool this cubby! This cubby if pulled down with a sharp tug will reveal the OBD2 port for diagnostics and one-clicks to plug into.

Regarding the cubby with the vent switch, what exactly is that hollow tube in the cubby that looks like a pen holder?

• 2 weeks later...

As for the phone transmitting the key signal, i tried it once with my dad when he was in Wantage and I was in Oxford, we both had mobiles and they were both on speakerphone. This was with his Freelander though, not the Furby.

:eek:

Sorry to sound dim, but does this work or not ?

• 5 months later...

Good little tip:

Next time you go to KFC ask for some of their lemon hand wipes. There is a pocket on the right hand side of the glove box that will hold these brilliantly and they come in very handily after putting air in your tyres to remove the dirt off your fingers so you dont have to worry about the garage not having any towels on hand.

GREAT TIP

i have that problem all the time.

lucky for me my gf works there :giggle: