factory fitted tyres

On 25/12/2018 at 14:05, Scot5 said:

I'm willing to bet all those who advocate the benefits of 'Premium' tyres are those who fall prey to the power of advertisments 

On 25/12/2018 at 16:35, Kenai said:

How much do you want to bet? 

I could use some exercise too Scot. ;) 

• Like 1

If you ask MICHELIN which of their brands are making Ditchfinders what order would they put their brands in.

Would they put the BF Goodrich above the Uniroyal, then Kleber, Tigar, Korman & Riken.

There are BF Goodrich @ £150 a tyre that i would rather have over a £150 Michelin, 

& there are £100 Kleber or Uniroyal i would have before a £100 Michelin.

There are £75 TIGAR i have fitted rather than £150 Michelin because it is Horses for Courses, and tyres for the correct application.  

As you get to know when you buy tyres often for different vehicles.

• Like 2

On 24/12/2018 at 23:18, Kenai said:

Out of interest why are you looking at 225/45R19 tyres for prices when as standard the 19 inch option for the Octavia is 225/35R19? 

Because my current car is not an Octavia. 

I hope you'll all forgive me pointing out the irony in this, but the above comments come from Skoda owners which is generally considered a budget brand.

I think this is a very pertinent point. People generally buy Skoda cars because they’re generally very good for their price point, which is generally significantly lower than that of premium badges. And when you buy a Skoda you do so with the acceptance and understanding that it won’t be quite as good as a significantly more expensive car. I think exactly the same applies to tyres too. 

• Haha 1

On 25/12/2018 at 08:08, KenONeill said:

Based on the examples I've driven, I'd say that was about being a V*ctr@...

:D

It was fine on the previous Contis and Toyos that I subsequently run so I am putting it down to the crap in between budgets that I ran

I find it quite funny reading some of the above comments because there's something nobody has asked - define Premium?

I'm willing to bet all those who advocate the benefits of 'Premium' tyres are those who fall prey to the power of advertisments and have done little or no research. From reading the above, basically what folk are saying is the more money you spend means the more 'premium' the tyre i.e. the better it is. One person even suggests that when it comes to safety they wouldn't even consider trying to save money.

I hope you'll all forgive me pointing out the irony in this, but the above comments come from Skoda owners which is generally considered a budget brand.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Interesting post - but you're wrong.

It is very obvious with even the minimal amount of research just how much safer you are on the road with certain brands of tyre over others.

The legally required stickers also greatly help - of course much of the testing to achieve these figures is flawed, however A rated tyres for stopping with perform significantly better than C rated.

As for the "budget brand" statement - so because I decided to buy a more budget brand of car, I really should be saving my money on tyres and just putting any old crap on? Festive period or not, that is a lot of crap!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stoofa said:

The legally required stickers also greatly help - of course much of the testing to achieve these figures is flawed, however A rated tyres for stopping with perform significantly better than C rated.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, I certainly wouldn't. Which goes back to one of the first posts I made, which showed identically rated tyres (both C for fuel and A for wet grip) where the Michelin's were £220 compared with the Avon or Uniroyal which were £120 a piece. In fact, by the ratings, the Avon's had better noise performance by 2 decibels than the Michelin as well.

It's not about "putting any old crap on" it's about being sensible about how much cash you spend on the tyre. The above example shows buying the premium brand doesn't necessarily gain you anything except a lighter bank balance.

4 hours ago, Stoofa said:

Interesting post - but you're wrong. Festive period or not, that is a lot of crap!

Excellent reply, Merry Christmas!

Aren't forums great?  You're wrong, he's wrong, she's wrong - boo hoo hoo, your talking crap and I'm the one who's right.    So much for open debate then, makes prime ministers question time look civilized.

Perhaps it's just my lack of education but I can't see your point because it reads like you're saying exctly the same me? Of course certain brands are better than others (in certain situations - I'll come to that), but that's not what's being discussed. What's being discussed is 'budget' and 'premium', neither of which people seems to have a definition for.  As far as I can make out, what consitutues 'budget' and 'premium' seems to be price, but then nobody can tell me at what price point a tyre becomes premium.  It's really quite mad and as I said, I don't think too many people have thought very much about what they're saying.

The main point I was amking was that if people really do believe more expensive is better than cheaper and that they don't compromise on safety, then why did they buy a Skoda? Of course I'm not saying Skoda is an unsafe car as someone above tried to make out, but just like tyres, no budget tyre is unsafe either. Reading some of the replies above, that irony is completely lost on some folk.

But you then go on to talk about the tyre ratings.  Of course an A rated tyre is better than a C rated tyre for stopping ( however flawed the testing system is - I agree there too). But that may be in the wet. It may be the reverse for dry weather. It's like playing top trumps - you're selecting one particular tyre characteristic. Yes one tyre might stop a car the fastest - it may also only last 5000 miles, corner like crap and occupants need to shout at each other because the road noise is so bad - but you're right, it certainly stops the car. So define 'premium'?  It means different things to different people. And it follows that whilst one particular tyre may be suited to one car, it may not be suited to another. And even worse, are people suggeesting all models in a manufacturer's range are equal? Do these people also think Adidas is better than Nike, or everything in Sainsburys is better than everything in Tescos. It's all rather ridiculous.

Whenever I read someone telling me one tyre is better than the other, I ask myself do they change their tyres each morning depending on the climate because tyre characterists change? Those who say Premium is better than budget - I've got news for you - it's winter right now, and I'm willing to bet someone with cheap winters will stop faster than those with their expensive summer tyres. Again I'm willing to bet the same folk who advocate 'premium' is better than cheap and who do not scrimp when it comes to tyres, either won't change to winter tyres (because it's too expensive - more irony) or if they do change, they change to 'budget' brands.  Just go to any thread on winter tyres and see which tyres people are using. Most replies whenever I see 'winter tyres' crop up mention manufacturers I've never even heard of. They seem to be very happy. Are they wrong? Should they have something to worry about?

Finally I'll suggest most of you would consider Michelin to be a 'premium' brand. Why then do I keep reading of people unhappy with their energy range of tyres? Too hard, too noisy etc is why at keep hearing. That's my experience too. What I had to do on my last car was reduce the pressures - and then I had something I was much more happy with. But then by reducing the tyre pressures wasn't I compromising that 'stopping' ability and wear and well just about everything else the 'premium' adversories point at when playing top trumps. Unless you've tried every tyre, on every car with different loadings and in different weather conditions then you're only kidding yourself if you think one tyre is better than another. 

Edited by Guest

I'm willing to bet all those who advocate the benefits of 'Premium' tyres are those who fall prey to the power of advertisments and have done little or no research.

I'll take that bet as well :tongueout:

No... I read the tyre tests, all of them, add in experience from previous tyres and anyone I know and pick my tyre. I read them with a pinch of salt as well, especially if the tests are done at a brand's test track.

Doing all the research and picking a tyre that suits my use I invariably end up with what would be classed a premium brand. Currently running Continental Goodyear and Michelin through choice and one set of **** Dunlops that were fitted to the car as new to one set of wheels before they get swapped to one of the other three makes,  I have not had cause to regret any decisions in all the years I have done it that way.

If people can not decide between premium and budget then they want a mid range tyre.

Just pick one with mid range ratings. EG :- D  and D.  If you can find any. :D

Thanks AG Falco

On 25/12/2018 at 08:08, ScoutCJB said:

For me it's more the unexpected things, cars pulling out of side road etc ... things that you aren't in control of no matter how good a driver you are.

Personally I don't scrimp on tyres or brakes as even 1 extra meter could make all the difference.

Shopping around can pay dividends, I've just managed to save nearly £28 a tyre on new decent boots for the Wife's Mini 

Totally agree. Cheap tyre + pothole (not an unusual occurrence, unfortunately) = potential blowout. I agree fully with maffyou's comments about slowing down in the wet, not driving up the exhaust of the vehicle in front etc, but you can't control what the other idiot does. It's your money and you must decide your own priorities, but I know where mine are.

After riding motorbikes, specifically big powerful ones where you find yourself putting 180bhp through a contact patch similar in size to a £10 note you tend to realise that not all rubber is created equal. It becomes kind of inportant. In the car, for everyday driving its not 'that' consequential, especially if you drive like a normal person, until you have to jump on the brakes due to some maniac or unforseen event. Ive just swapped cars from a 2016 VRS TSI that had 4 goodyear eagles on it that were part worn, for a new VRS with those god awful bridgestone potenzas they fit as standard. The noise is noticeable, the feel is noticeable and they just dont ride the same. The bridgestones are more expensive too at the last look.

Theres a lot to factor in when it comes to tyres. For me its as foolish to look at the price list and assume the most expensive is the best as it is to look at the cheapest and assume that anyone who goes for anything else is paying for the name.

It was the same with helmets, apparently they all passed the same test (thats what cheap people would generally say) so should be ok, so a £50 lid would be as good as £300 one. In reality some pass the test by an inch and some pass by a mile. Its up to you to find out which ones are which :biggrin:

• Like 1

Many Skoda products and one of my Octavia's come with Nexen tyres which are firmly a budget brand.

On our Mk3 swapping the Nexen's to Goodyear's made a dramatic improvement to slow speed ride and noise.

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:39, maffyou said:

Because my current car is not an Octavia. 

I think this is a very pertinent point. People generally buy Skoda cars because they’re generally very good for their price point, which is generally significantly lower than that of premium badges. And when you buy a Skoda you do so with the acceptance and understanding that it won’t be quite as good as a significantly more expensive car. I think exactly the same applies to tyres too. 

A BMW 330i is much better than my Octavia. Unfortunately for them they cannot seem to keep up with my inferior and cheaper and more spacious car. LOL.:giggle:

As  I put on a previous thread (think that one was more to do with brakes, but any road) I had a cheapo set of Nexen tyres on my old Hyundai i20. They were a decent enough tyre.

But...........I'd think twice before putting them on my Octavia which weights nearly 400kg more and has at least 120hp more.

On my first car (my nan's old Fiesta), it had Tigar tyres on. Tigar is owned by Michelin. BUT there's a big reason why BMW put Michelin PS4S's on their M4 over Tigar.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tunedude said:

As  I put on a previous thread (think that one was more to do with brakes, but any road) I had a cheapo set of Nexen tyres on my old Hyundai i20. They were a decent enough tyre.

But...........I'd think twice before putting them on my Octavia which weights nearly 400kg more and has at least 120hp more.

On my first car (my nan's old Fiesta), it had Tigar tyres on. Tigar is owned by Michelin. BUT there's a big reason why BMW put Michelin PS4S's on their M4 over Tigar.

Running P Zero's and Michelin PS4S over 18,000 miles on my Vrs also contributed to the 40plus mpg average since new and low tyre noise compared to say a Bridgestone or Dunlop.:cool:

47 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

@Scot5 You're really are teasing here aren't you ?

1 tyre doesn't fit all seasons, tests or circumstances 

A person stating what the best tyre is just stating an opinion unless, they are a professional tyre tester. Opinions are like A-holes, everyones got one but, they're best not wafted around in public

Like most folks I do some research on some relevant test results that I trust & buy the tyre I think will suit MY requirements. I don't then expect that tyre to do anything other than my requirements really well but if it does, I've got a bonus & that's all it is a bonus.

Talking backsides, mooning is acceptable if only women do it and defo not if the person has PILES.:finger:

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

A BMW 330i is much better than my Octavia. Unfortunately for them they cannot seem to keep up with my inferior and cheaper and more spacious car. LOL.:giggle:

You're unfamiliar with the word "generally" then, I take it? Your VRS - which I take it you've made mods to from what it says in your location info - is not exactly a direct comparison, is it? Are BMWs considered a premium badge? Yes. Does that automatically mean every BMW in existence is better than any Skoda? Of course not. Does that change anything I wrote originally? No.

1 hour ago, tunedude said:

But not every Octavia has 120 bhp more. This goes back to what I was originally saying, just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it's rubbish. It largely comes down to how and what you're driving. Most people commenting about how poor "budget" tyres are seem to be VRS owners, and buying a VRS is rather different from buying a 1.0 TSI. Different situation likely needs different tools.

It's like buying the latest iPhone if all you ever do is make calls and send texts. Yes, you might own (arguably) "the best" phone, but you've also just spent over £900 more than you needed to for the privilege of owning the best when any cheap handset would do what you want it to.

I've not seen many police vehicles running on Wanli's...

#justsayin'

Buy the best you can afford. Not the most expensive necessarily, but do your research, as said above.

And look after them!  A newish Kumho with 6mm tread is likely to be many times better than a Michelin with 1.6mm - particularly in the wet. Same goes for correctly inflated tyres.

I can't understand why some people diss their tyres as **** and when you check them they're down to the canvas, or at 20psi!

• Like 3