2016 Tsi 1.2 SE L Estate. (Big Question).

macamx

This coming year our 2016  1.2 Tsi will be coming up to 3 years old. When I was working the car was changed every 2 to 3 years, however, two things have happened. 1) I have now retired. 2) Previously I was always looking to the next car but I am completely happy with this Skoda. So the big question is, do I change it or keep it. If I keep it do I take an extended warranty as I have read about some catastrophic failures of this engine or do I change it. The advantage of changing is I would like the DSG option but am I correct in thinking that the equivalent car is now the 1.0 Tsi and whilst producing the same power it is not as torquey as the car that I currently have.

Geoff.

The 1.2tsi is reliable engine, specially the ones in mk3 fabia, before they switched to 1.0tsi. I see no reason it would fail randomly.

I have 1.2tsi mk2 as a daily driver, 6 years old, 78k miles, purrs like a kitten.

1 hour ago, macamx said:

If I keep it do I take an extended warranty as I have read about some catastrophic failures of this engine

On a 2016 tsi110 you have the later 1.2tsi EA211 cam belt engine that has proved to be very reliable - I'd keep.

The one you have read about having catastrophic failures would be earlier (pre 2012)  versions of the previous 1.2tsi 8v EA111 cam chain engine.

• Like 1

macamx, as has been said, the 1.2TSI with the cambelt engine is quite a good engine. I had a new Mk3 1.2dsg that had serious engine problems but it was a bit of a one off I'm led to believe. Although I know of others with the same issues but less of a problem than mine was. They can have issues with the variable valve timing seals leaking oil but that is few and far between.  I rejected my 1st Mk3 car as the dealer couldn't fix the issues with the engine. I then had another new  1.2TSI 110ps again with the DSG. I had the clutch slipping issues which were supposedly fixed under warranty. That car was traded due to other engine and gearbox issues. Both my Mk3's with the 1.2 engine were disasters and in total contrast to my earlier totally reliable Skoda cars. I've since heard both of my traded Mk3 cars have had to have yet another set of clutches to the DSG.  

I've driven the 1.0 dsg over big mileages and it went well. It doesn't have the same thump in the back as the 1.2litre engine even though it has more torque. That torque comes in at much higher revs where you don't quite notice it in the same way. It was not as economical either as the 1.2TSI motor. But they go ok. I do know someone who is rejecting their four month old Mk3 1.0litre car because of engine trouble and a whole host of other issues. Again, I think that's fairly rare so I wouldn't worry about buying one and getting problems. Especially if you buy the manual gearbox version. They are brilliant. 

I've just swapped my 2016 1.2 dsg for a 2018 1.0 dsg and to be honest I can't tell the difference which has surprised me.

I drive like a 93 year old granny on her way to church on a Sunday morning though (hyperbole).

The biggest thing I notice between the two engine types (1.2 & 1,0 turbo engines) is that when loaded with a proper heavy load, the 1.0 struggles to pull as hard as the 1.2 engine, especially when accelerating away from roundabouts and up hills. With max torque at 1400rpm the 1.2 gets into it's stride very quickly. The 1.0 has to wait until the engine hits 2000rpm before it starts to really go. But for me I only really noticed it to any degree with big loads in the back. I carried motorcycle engines in the back on re-enforced floor boarding with the seats down in a 1.0 estate and that, combined with the hills of Wales, did put the motor under considerable pressure. The 1.2 definitely handled it better. Most folks will never do what I do in one though so won't experience any issues. The 1.0ltr is a nice engine.

macamx, forgot to mention that the catastrophic engine failures on the 1.2TSI cambelt engines is usually due to variable valve timing oils seals leaking and then failing. Several engines have self destructed, but it's so rare it's not worth worrying about. You are more likely to have water pump or cambelt failure (which never happens on these modern motors unless neglected). So really, don't worry about it. Just drive your 1.2 for as long as you like. It'll be fine. 

Edited by Estate Man

3 hours ago, Jedispooner said:

Keep it, don’t wash it and drive it like you stole it. After all, over thinking cars is a mugs game and after 5 years with 80k on the clock they all fetch about £3-4K in reasonable condition.

My philosophy is the opposite but I agree that a car that's not been cared for versus a car that has fetch a similar price when traded in.

My last Fabia was like new and had been meticulously cared for and I was offered no more than someone who despised theirs.

Looking after my car is a bit of a hobby but we're all different :D

Yet my beloved Mk2 Fabia 1.6 petrol Tiptronic auto estate which was in showroom condition inside and out (and underneath) netted me an additional £1200 over book price against my first new Mk3 1.2 Fabia. They gave me that extra money due to the fantastic condition it was in. It went on the forecourt for much more than the book retail price too and sold within two days. They did mention that they hadn't seen one as good as that in a long time though. 

I've heard nothing but good things about the longevity of the 1.2 TSI in the Mk.3. I'm sure someone on here was talking about seeing cars with that engine used as taxis that have done crazy mileages with no trouble. 

That being said, I've not heard anything negative about the 1.0 TSI either (unlike the 1.0 Ford EcoBoost!). I'm looking forward to getting mine!

The negative thing i have to say about the ea211 engines is that the knowledge level of the common machines which is poor globally.
Other than that great motor.
Mine has revo stage 1 since it had a 20 thousands km, now it has a 50 thousands km.

On 28/12/2018 at 07:58, macamx said:

This coming year our 2016  1.2 Tsi will be coming up to 3 years old. When I was working the car was changed every 2 to 3 years, however, two things have happened. 1) I have now retired. 2) Previously I was always looking to the next car but I am completely happy with this Skoda. So the big question is, do I change it or keep it. If I keep it do I take an extended warranty as I have read about some catastrophic failures of this engine or do I change it. The advantage of changing is I would like the DSG option but am I correct in thinking that the equivalent car is now the 1.0 Tsi and whilst producing the same power it is not as torquey as the car that I currently have.

Geoff.

If you;rethinking about selling please send me a PM with some details and a price

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Stay away from the DSG's I still don't believe that they have got it right. Now that you have retired (like me) you will probably do a lot less miles in which case I reckon the car will pretty much last for ever provided you replace the cam belt every 5 years.

Just to bring this to a conclusion, we have been looking around at many alternative cars over the past few weeks and I have found nothing that suits our needs better than our present tsi 110 sel estate. We also found the justification for replacing for a new like for like could not be made on a cost basis, So we will continue with our current car and have sourced a well respected independent VAG garage operating at about 75% of the main agents pricing. Whether as to take an extended warranty is as yet undecided. Thanks for the input.

Geoff.

As said, i would keep it, its a great engine and a nice spec'd body, changing cars ever few years can be a mugs game, i have an old Fabia Mk2 TDI and look after it, it runs like silk, cost me nowt and is fully paid for, what is not to like.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2018 at 10:44, Estate Man said:

The biggest thing I notice between the two engine types (1.2 & 1,0 turbo engines) is that when loaded with a proper heavy load, the 1.0 struggles to pull as hard as the 1.2 engine, especially when accelerating away from roundabouts and up hills. With max torque at 1400rpm the 1.2 gets into it's stride very quickly. The 1.0 has to wait until the engine hits 2000rpm before it starts to really go. But for me I only really noticed it to any degree with big loads in the back. I carried motorcycle engines in the back on re-enforced floor boarding with the seats down in a 1.0 estate and that, combined with the hills of Wales, did put the motor under considerable pressure. The 1.2 definitely handled it better. Most folks will never do what I do in one though so won't experience any issues. The 1.0ltr is a nice engine.

macamx, forgot to mention that the catastrophic engine failures on the 1.2TSI cambelt engines is usually due to variable valve timing oils seals leaking and then failing. Several engines have self destructed, but it's so rare it's not worth worrying about. You are more likely to have water pump or cambelt failure (which never happens on these modern motors unless neglected). So really, don't worry about it. Just drive your 1.2 for as long as you like. It'll be fine. 

What are the symptoms of the vvt seal failure?

Well, if you are lucky you might notice oil being thrown out, that is just a guess, if you are worried, just remove one screw, I seem to remember, then tilt the cam belt cover over and out of the way, slightly tricky, when you have done that you get a good view of the top of the belt and that pulley - it is the inlet pulley so the one nearest the front of the car, any oil leaking out due to the screws slackening off should be obvious - I checked that on my wife's late July 2015 build Polo a year or so ago and intend to repeat that every year - really just to play safe, by the way, there was no evidence of oil escaping on that car.

13 hours ago, macamx said:

One major factor that stopped me from changing would be the self-imposed tax bill of some £3.5k that a £20k car brings with it.

Geoff.

In reality, anyone that buys a used car will end up paying a portion of that VAT as it gets rolled up into the used car price, yes the first owner will pay a bit more and yes a new car does drop in price more over its first couple of years, but I've bought new cars and used cars and I've never let VAT change how I buy a car, I tend to aim to keep cars for over 10 years so residual value drop, or to put it another way depreciation is normally a very high %age of the original price.

@abaxas

Where does that pearl of wisdom originate from?

Most do not matter only what you have.

DQ200 dsgs failing when new and in Manufacturers warranty would be good, out of warranty bad.

Same with Timing chains, belts, wheel bearings etc etc .

Most statistics or averages might be relevant over time, or to statisticians and insurers and underwriters but the thing is not important to the real world on the day you are waiting on a recovery truck.