Start & Stop with DSG short lag on start

Loranox

Hello, I have tried the 110KW TSI version FWD with the DSG transmission yesterday for about an hour. It's a great car and the only thing not so good that I have noticed is that, once the engine stops at a traffic light for example, there is a certain lag for the engine to start again and move the car forward. It even sometimes give a little kick due to the delay when the engine revs up. Has anyone experienced that? Thanks.

Yeap, I am afraid you have discovered a 'feature' of the combination of the auto Start-Stop and a DSG box!

My Karoq is the 1.6TDI version so when I stop at traffic lights and the auto-start stop kicks in then I get the added delay of the diesel picking up from idle enough to overcome the auto-hold and move the car, which adds what seems like an eternity.  So I end up paying more attention to the traffic lights so that when they change from red to amber I tap the accelerator, to re-start the engine which means that by time the car actually moves the lights are green!  Things get even more fun when the DPF is re-generating as the auto-start stop does not kick in, however because the engine is idling faster there is more of a snatch (or kick as you put it) as the auto hold releases and the car pulls away.

Hope this helps?

Owned my tsi for a week. Don’t mind the stop start for rural and dual carriageway driving but find it a pain in a traffic queue and town roundabouts. One button press disables it so all in all I’m happy. 

Tom

• Like 1

Being a 1.5tsi its probably related to the increasingly reported low speed, pull away issues that this engine has.

Manny comments on that in the thread below,  also other threads elsewhere on Octavia, and starting to appear in Superb (1.5tsi engine has just been released in the Superb)

Mmm, do you know if this is being addressed by Skoda or people having bought this model will have to live with it? Is there any feedback from owners of the other VAG group  brands  reporting this issue?

4 hours ago, Loranox said:

Hello, I have tried the 110KW TSI version FWD with the DSG transmission yesterday for about an hour. It's a great car and the only thing not so good that I have noticed is that, once the engine stops at a traffic light for example, there is a certain lag for the engine to start again and move the car forward. It even sometimes give a little kick due to the delay when the engine revs up. Has anyone experienced that? Thanks.

Hi, I have the 1.0 TSI with DSG and I find that if you just move the steering wheel it starts up again, that way when stopped at lights and the stop kicks in a small movement of the wheel will start it up again ready for the light change.

Hope this helps 

15 minutes ago, don_kiddik said:

Hi, I have the 1.0 TSI with DSG and I find that if you just move the steering wheel it starts up again, that way when stopped at lights and the stop kicks in a small movement of the wheel will start it up again ready for the light change.

Hope this helps 

Thx for the tip. I have not ordered the Karoq yet (probably next week) but will remember this if the issue persists in the 2019 model.

20 hours ago, don_kiddik said:

Hope this helps 

The car in front moving away does the job as well.

On 30/12/2018 at 12:18, dave_knight said:

Yeap, I am afraid you have discovered a 'feature' of the combination of the auto Start-Stop and a DSG box!

...  So I end up paying more attention to the traffic lights so that when they change from red to amber I tap the accelerator, to re-start the engine which means that by time the car actually moves the lights are green!  Things get even more fun when the DPF is re-generating as the auto-start stop does not kick in, however because the engine is idling faster there is more of a snatch (or kick as you put it) as the auto hold releases and the car pulls away.

Hope this helps?

Have you tried giving the steering wheel a little turn as that retarts the engine on my 1.6td

The steering wheel trick has already been suggested.

I've got into the routine of turning stop/start off after starting the engine.

No need to try and second guess when the car in front will move off, or the traffic lights will change. No jerkiness or lag, no reduction in Climatronic performance, reduced degradation of the battery. Less engine wear. The only slight disadvantage is the slightly shinier button on the dash.

2 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The only slight disadvantage is the slightly shinier button on the dash.

I’ve been pressing that button in my Golf for almost 9 years and the button doesn’t seem to have suffered.......unlike the drivers window down button that looks very shabby now.

• Haha 1

Good to know!

I like the buttons on the Karoq / Kodiaq, you can press the smaller lower edge of the button leaving the symbol free from finger pressure and grease wear :D.

Anyone riding in a high mileage MkII Octavia taxi will know what I mean.

Ka_00048-1440x943.thumb.jpg.e1245fb56fa5b34d5425c1537fa08974.jpg

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2018 at 12:45, JohnD5314 said:

I don't remember reading that in the manual but mine does it as well. 

Thanks for the tip about the steering wheel.  I usually just lightly blip the throttle to start the engine ready to move.  However, I have managed to stall it once doing that at a set of traffic lights.  I still don't know what I did wrong but it was a real pain because the engine would only start again with the gearbox in park with the brake applied.

If the engine is running, it easier to get a smooth start.  I think the jerky start Is a feature of the DSG box - and happens with any engine.  Some writers on other forums think the delay is longer with the auto hold feature in use although I haven't experienced that.

The tendency of the DSG box to be jerky in traffic is mentioned in reviews.  I think it is possible to get smooth starts and I generally do but if I am trying to get away quickly and put more throttle on with the engine (auto) stopped, it will give a kick.  It is very much like letting the clutch in too quickly on a manual which is probably more less what the DSG is doing.

On 31/12/2018 at 12:45, JohnD5314 said:

8 hours ago, Teds said:

I don't remember reading that in the manual but mine does it as well. 

Do you both have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), or just the regular Front Assist?

Just trying to work out if the automatic starting of the engine when the car in front moves off comes with ACC or not.

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Do you both have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), or just the regular Front Assist?

Just trying to work out if the automatic starting of the engine when the car in front moves off comes with ACC or not.

I do have ACC.  The engine starts when the car in front moves off even if ACC is switched off.  Perhaps it is a function of front assist?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I have ACC as well. I think the steering input starting the engine is to provide power steering. 

On 01/01/2019 at 11:03, silver1011 said:

The steering wheel trick has already been suggested.

No need to try and second guess when the car in front will move off, or the traffic lights will change. No jerkiness or lag, no reduction in Climatronic performance, reduced degradation of the battery. Less engine wear. The only slight disadvantage is the slightly shinier button on the dash.

This is also what my dealer suggested. He also mentioned that if you use the "S" position on the auto box, the lag is reduced.

^^^ Was that a Drug Dealer or a Car Dealer?   

Get them to put that in writing and sign it and give their name and qualifications and position in the Dealership.

If a VW Group Car Dealer or Dealer principal they would be better suggesting to the people that build and supply the cars they sell to get their sh!t sorted out so the cars are fit for purpose driven normally and 'S' is used as in the 'owners manual' or as and when a driver wants it not to just get about safely on a daily basis.

Sit in a vehicle with DSG in 'D'. look at the RPM.

Move the shifter to 'S', look at the RPM.   It is higher. 

Drive off in 'S' and it holds the gears longer.   

Not rocket science, but as to being necessary to get a Euro 6 or Euro 6 d temp going without lag, that is just crazy.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 2

^^^^^^ To ape the above technique ....

The poster 2 above simply quoted a suggestion that Sport mode reduces lag. I don’t think Safety was being flagged as an issue.

A different point from Sport mode holding gears longer.

Both ponts are very true in my experience. Different, but true.

I constantly flip/flop from Drive to Sport on every trip whenever the need arises to maximise response - normally at junctions and roundabouts of course. Plus one favourite sharp left uphill junction on my road home.

ps - ECO mode remains in the scrap bin

24 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

I constantly flip/flop from Drive to Sport on every trip whenever the need arises to maximise response - normally at junctions and roundabouts of course. Plus one favourite sharp left uphill junction on my road home.

Do you ever switch to Manual?