Looking at getting a 1.0 TSI Estate - Opinions?

My current 1.4TSI Yeti is getting to the end of the lease and I am thinking about another Skoda.

The Octavia estate looks like a good bet to me is SE Tech spec. I did laugh when I saw it had a 1.0 engine option.

As my Yeti was in full swimming pool mode over Christmas the dealer lent me an Ateca. It drove very well and I was surprised when I looked it up and it was a 1.0 tsi under the bonnet.

Now I could get a 1.5 Tsi in my budget but the kangaroo problems are making me think twice. A 1.0 TSI with DSG might be good.

Any opinions one way or another? MPG figures would be nice as the Yeti gets 34-36 MPG at best and I need more than that

There are a few on here who I'm sure reply with some sound recommendations of the engine. I'm awaiting mine...! Ordered without even trying it, I'm that confident. 

By all accounts, the engine is definitely suited to a DSG box and seems to return 50mpg - of course, figures are all subjective but I think you would definitely find an improvement on what you're getting currently. 

When I was comparing performance wise between the 1.0 and the 1.6 TDi, it was negligible. Obviously the diesel will return better mpg figures, but it's also 10p a litre more expensive at the pumps (at least where I am).

Good luck!

• Like 1

The 1 litre with DSG is very good, the DSG box keeps it in the engine sweet spot

The TSI engines seem to be optimised to work with DSG so a good choice

Happy to recommend the 1 litre with DSG (I have this combination in my Arona, and its much better than expected, and economical after first 2000 miles whilst it loosens up)

If you were to choose the manual (not recommended), you will have to enjoy changing gear as these engines are not that happy at being in wrong gear, and the manual 1.5 is best avoided

My only reservation would be if you live in an area with lots of big hills, or heavily load the car the 1.5 DSG would be more suitable as the 1 litre will run out of puff up long dual carriageway hills

Oil analysts are predicting the diesel differential could increase from current 10p to 25-30p as ships change to low sulphur fuels in 1-2 years, so good idea to go with petrol engine

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 1

I can get 4.2 if I'm trying and long term I'm currently at 5.5, IIRC. That's with Winter tyres on and "Beast from the East" conditions for half the year, so down to -20, snow on the ground from November to April, and serious Webasto use.

Translated, that means a peak of 66mpg and long term average of 50mpg. I don't hang around but we don't do much traffic here, either, except in Helsinki. Will see what happens if I take it up north at the weekend; that's 600km at -10C and I'd still be surprised if it ate more than 5l/100.

- Bret

• Like 1

I regularly get ferried about by taxi and one firm uses a couple of 1.0 octavia s hatchbacks.

I presumed they were 1.5’s as they go so fast ! A driver told me they average 40 to 45 mpg and that is being thrashed with 2 or 3 passengers and luggage on long runs or stop starting in the city centre. I’d have one.

• Thanks 1

Received my 1.0 DSG SE Tech mid December and love it.

Since I've only done 360 miles so far, it's difficult for me to really give much of review, however first impressions are great.

It's extremely quiet, smooth and refined. Overall, amazing for what I am paying for it and expected.

Popping it into Sport or Trip mode and giving it beans is amazing for such a small engine. Add the RaceChip to it and it's comparable to my 1.4 TSI (150) that I had.

One thing I was really concerned about was moving from Bi-Xenon to Halogen's... Suffice to say, despite the huge major difference, the quality of the halogens is amazing, especially when compared to my wifes Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Shout if you have any questions and I will see what I can do to help.

7 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

My only reservation would be if you live in an area with lots of big hills, or heavily load the car the 1.5 DSG would be more suitable as the 1 litre will run out of puff up long dual carriageway hills

I don’t think you can spec the 1.5 with DSG in SETech trim, for some bizarre reason!

i ordered the 1.0 DSG - also without driving - but am still waiting for delivery unfortunately. However, everything I’ve read suggests it’s brilliant and I’m eagerly waiting for its arrival (in about 14 weeks still :crying:). 

The only thing I’ve seen  suggested is that if your mileage will be high and/or mainly motorway, it may be better to choose another engine. Yet on the flip side I’ve also seen plenty of people reporting it’s a great motorway cruiser. 

21 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

In my experience, the 1.0 manages hills etc fine. It happily cruises along in 7th, going up and past the Angel of the North, which has a fairly decent hill.

I live at the top of a 12% hill and it flies up in 3rd/4th, like my 1.4 TSI (150) did. 

The gear ratio's on the DSG when going up hill is frustrating, but that's nothing related to the engine.

19 hours ago, gRoberts said:

Received my 1.0 DSG SE Tech mid December and love it.

Since I've only done 360 miles so far, it's difficult for me to really give much of review, however first impressions are great.

It's extremely quiet, smooth and refined. Overall, amazing for what I am paying for it and expected.

Popping it into Sport or Trip mode and giving it beans is amazing for such a small engine. Add the RaceChip to it and it's comparable to my 1.4 TSI (150) that I had.

One thing I was really concerned about was moving from Bi-Xenon to Halogen's... Suffice to say, despite the huge major difference, the quality of the halogens is amazing, especially when compared to my wifes Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Shout if you have any questions and I will see what I can do to help.

I was worried about going back to the dark ages with headlights. I love the Yeti cornering and the brightness. Funnily enough my wife has a Sandero as well, the Yeti dip is like the Dacia main beam. 

Sounds like I need a test drive in a 1.0 Octavia then. Many thanks for all the input

• Like 1

The 1.0 litre is very good, but I will put in the following caveats:

• Its only good for doing local journeys
  • The engine is whisper quiet (110hp version), but gets a little thrashy on fast runs
  • Definitely upgrade to better headlights if you can afford them.  I'm sure there is a LED headlight version available on the SE Tech version (lights are super good)

Typically, I could get 55-60mpg in a manual 6 speed...I've sadly not heard good things about the extra weight penalty for the DSG gearbox.  The engine is good, but quickly runs out of puff and has non-existent torque (ie you will need to change up and down quite a lot).

Make sure you are v.careful with the 1.0 litre warm up and cool down.  I have seen the results of badly scored cranks on the Euro 1.0l 3 pot engine and whilst I know VW will have fettled the engine somewhat (since the days that PSA introduced the engine about 10 years ago), it is a consideration.   Start it up...and wait until the engine note drops before heading off.   Cooling down - the 110HP unit has a small turbo, so you need to allow the car to cool down (if you have done a long fast run). Usual VW rules...don't go above 3000rpm until the engine is sitting at 90C.

Edited by varaderoguy

2 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

I have seen the results of badly scored cranks on the Euro 1.0l 3 pot engine and whilst I know VW will have fettled the engine somewhat (since the days that PSA introduced the engine about 10 years ago), it is a consideration.  

Never knew that PSA designed the VAG 1.0tsi. :thinking:

1 minute ago, xman said:

Never knew that PSA designed the VAG 1.0tsi. :thinking:

Its the same 3 pot engine that you will find on most euro-boxes these days....manufactures don't like re-inventing the wheel, so yes, its the exact same unit.  The engines have massively improved since their inception, but I still aware that it is a smaller engine.  My perspective is that we've owned a Suzuki Alto (with a 90hp version of the unit), and it started causing issues at 20k miles.  I know the VAG units use better parts (quality) and oils - and that the engine internals will be better because it has a turbo bolted onto it, but its still the same engine block unit from 2006....

• Haha 1

So with ambient around -8C and lots of snow lying, computer tells me 4.8l/100 (and it's tended to be close to correct). 600km, average around 50mph. Snow lying, winter tyres, only one 5k rpm "incident" - on ramp. 6th to third and plant it to get out of someone's way - no attention otherwise paid to consumption. Several stops on the way home to remove ice from the headlights. 

Oh, and ASR will blink lights up to around 100km/h if it's working. Yes, wheelspin in fourth... ice. 

I've heard nothing of any issues on the 1.0 in terms of reliability; lots of complaints that it drinks too much unless you play nice, but that's turbos. 

- Bret

• Like 1

Not an Octavia, my VRS 230 PFL has blown it's turbo prematurely, but thats another story/post.

The loan car given to me while awaiting the parts for the repair is a 1.0 Fabia 95 manual. I think it's a  drab looking thing (also said by every one else who has seen it) compared to its stable mates the Polo, Ibiza and A1 and I was well ready to slag it off endlessly.  Historically detest 4 stroke engines that don't have 4 cylinders minimum and stick with even numbers above, otherwise primary balance is compromised. It's lighter than an Octavia granted. BUT, I cannot emphasis how impressive that engine is, little in cc's and cylinders but certainly not in performance and it's very smooth, you can detect the very slight off beat but it never intrudes. Its far better than the Leon 1.6tdi used to have.  I took it to Scarborough last week via Sutton bank and the way it pulls is incredible. It is perfect with a manual geabox and wouldn't want it any other way myself. Normal driving you can just pull away then go 3rd then 5th from 1500 revs it will pull all day, 5th is top gear on this one. I could have got up Sutton bank (1:3) in 4th with only the shortest 3 rd gear drop and not certain I would have needed that if not for the 335 diesel in front of me struggling for some unknown reason. It certainly is an engine for long runs, it just purrs at 70-80 mph with normal hill effecting it much at all. Accelerates briskly with very little lag. On top of that it averages over 50 mpg!! 54 to Scarborough on a 80 mile trip.

My daughter has an Ibiza FR 115 version, I took a drive of that the other day as I had just ignored it out of lack of interest, very impressive!  I had an argument with my petrol head son about how I have converted to the theory that 3 cylinders are better than 4 in a small turbo engine. The torque is far better at normal driving speeds and the engine balancing shafts work very well indeed. He still can't believe I have changed my mind after 50 odd years.  

• Like 3

I have posted before that I cannot match @brettikivi consumption figures over 50mph but seem to be able to match or better at lower speeds, with my manual 1.4tsi with its better flexibility. 

To be honest he sold me on the 1.0tsi viability and it is just a shame the 1.0tsi is not available in the Octavia in Australia.

Uk quoted figures for the 1.0tsi are usually a little lower than our resident brit/finn but still good.

Bear in mind I think their summer motorway speed limits are a bit higher at 120kph.

Edited by Gerrycan

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I have posted before that I cannot match @brettikivi consumption figures over 50mph but seem to be able to match or better at lower speeds, with my manual 1.4tsi with its better flexibility. 

To be honest he sold me on the 1.0tsi viability and it is just a shame the 1.0tsi is not available in the Octavia in Australia.

Uk quoted figures for the 1.0tsi are usually a little lower than our resident brit/finn but still good.

Bear in mind I think their summer motorway speed limits are a bit higher at 120kph.

Well the mpg figures are no longer a myth. The Fabia I have on loan used to be booked at just under 60mpg average before 1st Jan. Its now booked at 47.1 to 51.4, I am averaging that pretty much spot on and like I said on that longer run hit 54.

brettikivi's figure of 4.8L/100 translates to 58.85mpg in godawful conditions but I think his car's consumption may be a bit better than the average for this engine.

Despite the huge improvements in the quality and consistency of mass produced vehicles there are still variations to be found between individual vehicles for performance/consumption that cannot be attributed to the driver. I know because I have been lumbered with a couple of lemons in my time.

A couple of years back in the UK I had access to a new Ford Focus with the multi engine-of-the year awarded 1.0tsi triple pot and I was really looking forward to driving it and anticipated better consumption than my Octavia. The reality was that although it went ok I could not coax better than 45mpg out of it in ideal circumstances I would expect up to 60 mpg from mine. It could have been lemon characteristics but I'm given to understand that it was a fairly common complaint from other owners and it does not have a great record of reliability.

On 02/01/2019 at 09:46, Nobbi1977 said:

Now I could get a 1.5 Tsi in my budget but the kangaroo problems are making me think twice.

Same here, I'd go further. Would not consider the 1.5 Tsi until they they demonstrate that they have if fixed (might never happen), would not want a car with any less low-down torque than current 1.4Tsi - so no to the 1.0 Tsi, 2.0Tsi is VRS only - expensive, possibly a bit harsh, big wheels and a bit shouty although wouldn't rule it out all together.

A 2.0 Tsi option for SE/SEL/L&K would help - could even live with less power than VRS as long as plenty torque and no kangaroo.

2 hours ago, Octy0GG said:

Same here, I'd go further. Would not consider the 1.5 Tsi until they they demonstrate that they have if fixed (might never happen), would not want a car with any less low-down torque than current 1.4Tsi - so no to the 1.0 Tsi, 2.0Tsi is VRS only - expensive, possibly a bit harsh, big wheels and a bit shouty although wouldn't rule it out all together.

A 2.0 Tsi option for SE/SEL/L&K would help - could even live with less power than VRS as long as plenty torque and no kangaroo.

190PS 2.0TSI is now available in non vRS trim Octavias, manual and auto. 

Edit - even available as 4x4 by the look of the configuration tool

Edited by Kenai

my long term, for those interested, is 5.3 on the winter tyres over 5000km. I remember the summer stuff being quite a bit higher, close to 6. I do have all the data to check if I wanted to - photos of liter numbers and kilometers, but entering those into something like Spritmonitor will take forever and I have better things to do with my time :) 

- Bret

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kenai said:

190PS 2.0TSI is now available in non vRS trim Octavias, manual and auto. 

Edit - even available as 4x4 by the look of the configuration tool

I see that now, although on UK configurator I'm only seeing 2.0 TSI with DSG (SEL or L&K)

1 minute ago, Octy0GG said:

I see that now, although on UK configurator I'm only seeing 2.0 TSI with DSG (SEL or L&K)

I may have misread one as I scrolled through!