Smartlink question(s)

Before I waste £150 getting Smartlink added, will it virtually work with any modern Android phone? I have the Huawei Psmart 2019. I'd hate to spend £150 and find it didn't work as I don't plan on changing phones.

Also, can you watch SkyGo on the car screen? Not whilst driving, obviously. But being able to watch the cricket whilst waiting for my kids would be a nice plus. Or a youtube video or something. I have satnav built in, so not sure I'd use the navigation. What else can it do?

Finally, are there any sneaky ways of getting it free since its just a code needed? #DontAskDontGet :)

thanks

Nick

Unfortunately that £150 is the only way (If I recall correctly) that you can get SmartLink enabled. That's if you can get it done in the first place, as I was told numerous times that it wasn't possible on my MY17 Amundesen.

My MY19 Amundsen also doesn't have it enabled, BUT it does have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which is accessed via the "App" hard button. 

To be fair, the only way you would be able to get what you need would involve rooting your Phone if I recall correctly. 

I put my phone on the little ledge where the speedometer is and watch through the steering wheel. If you want better sound, hook up your phone via Bluetooth and use the car speakers :D

It’s not just a code per say, it’s also an SD card so it’s a physical part but you don’t keep that. Huawei did have issues with AA a while back, don’t know if they have fixed that now. If you can run AA mirror you can run it wirelessly. Is Apple users have to make do with a cable but it’s ok, my car has the Phonebox and the damn phone is too big to fit in it with a case on!!!! If your dealer is quoting more than £137 you are being ripped off. It should be £122 for the part and 15-20 mins fitting.

14 minutes ago, Brackett said:

Confused (normal for me...). The dealer told me yesterday that smartlink was standard. (That was a vrs). Is that right? The above implies it's an option. 

It was an option until the facelift came out. It’s standard on the facelift.

1 hour ago, Novascape said:

Hi,

What app you using for this? Would it work on a samsung phone? Not been able to get mine to mirror.

Can use Google drive but very basic

Thanks

I'm the same. Can plug in my phone and use android auto but no screen mirroring as per the photos. 

20 minutes ago, TonyD said:

Are we sure that smart link is standard as opposed to mirrorlink (iphone) and android auto which are?

With the MIB2 you only get the full SmartLink, which includes Android Auto/Apple CarPlay/MirrorLink. Some MIB1’s got MirrorLink independently but none of these units were found in the Octavia.

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

With the MIB2 you only get the full SmartLink, which includes Android Auto/Apple CarPlay/MirrorLink. Some MIB1’s got MirrorLink independently but none of these units were found in the Octavia.

Hi, sorry my bad. I was thinking of Smartgate

£137 will be the best quote and the one you need to make them meet. The part is £122 and 15-20 mins fitting. The £122 is non discountable because it is the cost of the licenses from Apple and Google. Skoda swallows this into the cost of the FL cars.

On 17/02/2019 at 09:47, JamiePvrs said:

I'm the same. Can plug in my phone and use android auto but no screen mirroring as per the photos. 

Me too.

I just get the basic AA on my FL Amundsen screen, with it connected via the OEM supplied USB cable. I'll have to look into the AA mirror capability with my Google pixel XL

I apologise if I missed a sticky/FAQ - I just wanted to ask, does anyone know how best to identify the radio type, and MIB level, and from there what my Smartlink options are?

I suspect I'm out of luck, I have an imported UK Octavia vRS, sold first in the UK in Dec 2014. Is that far too old - would it require buying a new head unit?

If this is threadjacking I can start a new one, it just seems related. 

Thanks!

Mike

I paid for the licence & install on my 16 plate Octavia, had a basic Samsung J5 that I could use Waze & Google maps on plus control my Spotify app etc. Have since got Note 9 and wifey has S9+ and cannot get either to mirror screen. Plugged my daughters iPhone 6s in and mirrored straight away - lol

Still glad I got it as didn't have a nav unit to begin with and would not be without Waze and cam alerts (especially after my speed awareness course.

Regards,

bb

1 hour ago, WhoElse said:

I apologise if I missed a sticky/FAQ - I just wanted to ask, does anyone know how best to identify the radio type, and MIB level, and from there what my Smartlink options are?

I suspect I'm out of luck, I have an imported UK Octavia vRS, sold first in the UK in Dec 2014. Is that far too old - would it require buying a new head unit?

If this is threadjacking I can start a new one, it just seems related. 

Thanks!

Mike

It’ll be too old sadly, SmartLink came out week 22 2015 build. To get it you would need to change the radio and the screen too unless you have a Columbus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

It’ll be too old sadly, SmartLink came out week 22 2015 build. To get it you would need to change the radio and the screen too unless you have a Columbus.

I'm new to the Skoda, so sorry I'm missing some basics. Thanks for the explanation! 

Regards what model radio it is, there's no satnav so it's likely a Bolero I guess? Also, when I put the VIN into https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/, it says "UPDATE OF YOUR SYSTEM BOLERO" so I guess it's a basic Bolero model? 

Going into Setup, all I can tell is the following:

Software version - MSTD_EU_SK_P3420

Installed Software MU version: 0435

Part number: 5E0035842A

Hardware: 041

Software: 0435

Media Codec: N/A

Confusingly, when I google Skoda hardware 041, the image search tags indicate that it's an Amundsen MIB1. I trust experienced end users more than a generic Skoda VIN checker!

Or are they the same hardware, but some have satnav disabled?

Sorry for all the newbie questions!

Mike

• Like 1

That’s a Bolero yes. There is no way to enable the factory nav in a Bolero, and the MIB1 Amundsen is pretty basic mapping anyway. It’s a card based system like the MIB2 Amundsen so there are 2 SD slots in the radio on the Amundsen. The Columbus is different again. You have to use Skoda SD cards in Amundsens but not in the Columbus.

10 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

That’s a Bolero yes. There is no way to enable the factory nav in a Bolero, and the MIB1 Amundsen is pretty basic mapping anyway. It’s a card based system like the MIB2 Amundsen so there are 2 SD slots in the radio on the Amundsen. The Columbus is different again. You have to use Skoda SD cards in Amundsens but not in the Columbus.

Thank you! Got it, confirming only one SD card in the head unit in the glove box.

Honestly for sat-nav, I am quite happy to use my phone with a blitzwolf magnet stuck into the aircon - that updates software far faster, and I can ask google assistant to navigate to wherever i want as i drive.

I'll fish around on the ICE thread to see if there any software update for the Bolero, I see people mentioning versions as new as 0490, although it seems like more bugfixes that any new features.  So I don't *need* to update, but i'm just techie enough to be compelled to!

• Like 1

I'm attempting to get MirrorLink working on my 2017 FL Octavia. I have a Samsung S9 and have downloaded car mode but can't get the full mirror as per the above photos, only a very basic screen layout. 

Is there an idiots guide somewhere...?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So i got a one question ,  been interested to add SmartGate to my 2017 FL Octavia ,  been looking for a feature like below 

https://eshop.skoda-auto.sk/eshop/en/b2c/smartgate-octavia-iii-5e0063218x--1

The description is a little too weird , it says like that

Designed for cars:

Octavia III since 2013 to KT 05/2017

What about newer Octavia  , produced after 5th week 2017 ?   this is probably date when FaceLift went live.    Is it unable to add SmartGate into Octavia FaceLift models ? 

Thanks in advance for any help