Chuckle in Your Day

mac11irl

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Thanks, I could not work that out.

From your link, almost identical, you have to look quite hard to see the difference:

Unnecessary, I will not respond in the same manner.

Well for starters, it is a different model of car, horse is on the opposite side of the car, number bracket is still in the horizontal position, the roof is even more damaged, the first car has amber indicators set in the bumper, and also single headlights, the one above has twin headlights and indicators are within the headlight in the corner by the grill. First car has a honeycomb style grill, one above has horizontal bars the only things similar are, they are both black cars and have a horse that has gone through the windscreen. I don't think you have to look quite hard at all.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

Well for starters, it is a different model of car, horse is on the opposite side of the car, number bracket is still in the horizontal position, the roof is even more damaged, the first car has amber indicators set in the bumper, and also single headlights, the one above has twin headlights and indicators are within the headlight in the corner by the grill. First car has a honeycomb style grill, one above has horizontal bars the only things similar are, they are both black cars and have a horse that has gone through the windscreen. I don't think you have to look quite hard at all.

You are not blind in one eye and visually impaired in the other, you will never (thankfully) know how hard I have to look.

But thankyou for your kind thoughts anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

You are not blind in one eye and visually impaired in the other, you will never (thankfully) know how hard I have to look.

Just an observation and in no way passing judgement but perhaps it would be prudent to avoid commenting on images until you're sure what you have observed and comment on is correct? I remember a few occasions where you've commented about images and been wrong. One being last week about a jack with a block of wood. 

I understand you're sight impaired and for that you have my empathy but going forward, please be sure before you post to avoid conflict maybe? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Wow, and you still drive? I would have thought that is not something you should be doing, would you even see a black horse at night?

Oh and for the record, I don't know for sure, but reasonably confident, the car in the joke I posted is I think a variant of the Ford Focus, could be one from the USA and the one you posted I think is a high spec VW Golf.

Edited by Graham Butcher

1 minute ago, Graham Butcher said:

Wow, and you still drive? I would have thought that is not something you should not be doing, would you even see a black horse at night?

That's not helpful either, Graham.

I knew an ex Royal Navy veteran of the Suez Crisis who lost an eye (complete chain smoker as well) but his driving skills weren't impaired. In fact he often drove a 7.5t Ford Cargo for a firm called Gunnebo. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, @Lee said:

That's not helpful either, Graham.

I knew an ex Royal Navy veteran of the Suez Crisis who lost an eye (complete chain smoker as well) but his driving skills weren't impaired. In fact he often drove a 7.5t Ford Cargo for a firm called Gunnebo. 

Well. I asked because this is my understanding of the vision required for safe driving here in the UK.

In the UK, every learner driver is subjected to a quick eye test at the beginning of their official driving test which involves correctly reading a number plate on a parked vehicle from 20 meters away. If you get it wrong after 3 tries, you’ll fail the entire test immediately. Also, the DVLA will be told and your licence will be revoked.

To pass the driving test, you must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres. You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye. You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test1.

If you need glasses or contact lenses to meet the standards of vision for driving, you must wear them every time you drive. You could be prosecuted if you drive without meeting the standards of vision for driving.

Maybe John was trying to examine the photos on a mobile phone?, but they are very clearly not the same or even close on a decent sized monitor.

Oops, almost forgot, when I worked on the buses, we had a tyre fitter, worked for Goodyear who had their own dept in the garage as they had the tyre contract, he also only had one eye, thankfully his other eye was perfect, his licence was restricted, and his nickname was Darkie, I never asked why that was.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Groan 1

11 hours ago, @Lee said:

Just an observation and in no way passing judgement but perhaps it would be prudent to avoid commenting on images until you're sure what you have observed and comment on is correct? I remember a few occasions where you've commented about images and been wrong. One being last week about a jack with a block of wood.

I was and remain 100% sure about the block of wood, my comment was to prevent the poster from making the same mistake that I had. I was not wrong in that instance as I'm sure you will realise if you were to look at it and are familiar with the construction of the vehicle around the jacking points, its clear to see that the wood goes under the vehicle directly beneath the hard to distinguish (at least for my eyes) plastic underguard.

The OP took it as an affront and went on the (aggressive) defensive which is why you believed that I was wrong, I have no problems admitting when I am incorrect, its how I learn.

I always click on the image and then a second time it will open in another window where I can further enlarge it, my comment on the black hatchback was due to the absence (to my eyes) of damage to the plastic bumper, grille headlights etc however with the images you shared I could see others including one which looked very similar (to my eyes) even when I flitted between the images, I had to look for a definitive detail which was one had orange indicators the others didn't, it may also be a visual memory problem.

There was a joke posted recently, it could have been by you, a photo of a cloud in the sky, it was clear from the context that it must look like a flying pig, I looked at it for ages and could not (to my eyes) see anything resembling a pig yet clearly others do, vision and the mental processing of visual information is a very complex matter, my night driving is slower now, slow with regards to most other traffic yet 23 years ago it was me that put in the fastest night lap times in the 24 hour race team, now I have to walk sections of trail runs in dusk and slippery conditions or when there is low sun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

There was a joke posted recently, it could have been by you, a photo of a cloud in the sky, it was clear from the context that it must look like a flying pig, I looked at it for ages and could not (to my eyes) see anything resembling a pig yet clearly others do, vision and the mental processing of visual information is a very complex matter, my night driving is slower now, slow with regards to most other traffic yet 23 years ago it was me that put in the fastest night lap times in the 24 hour race team, now I have to walk sections of trail runs in dusk and slippery conditions or when there is low sun.

You wouldn’t see anything resembling a pig as it’s a cow. A clue is the 🐄 emoji in the title.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, I feel better now.

Although I no longer understand the joke :blush

Got it!!!!!

I'm a bit slow, "the cow jumped over the moon" 👍

I probably had not taken in the emoji, most of them are too small for me to see what they are and when selecting one it does not bring up a caption of what it is.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Maybe John was trying to examine the photos on a mobile phone?, but they are very clearly not the same or even close on a decent sized monitor.

I never use a mobile phone for the forum or anything like that, I use a laptop and they looked very similar to me, I had to flick back and forth several times, I do not know how to put photos side by side on the screen, I never said that they were the same, you invented that in order to have a pop.

I used "almost identical" to refer to the accidents, the cars, the horses, the damage, the resting position of the horse but its true I did have to look several times back and forth to be sure that they were actually different vehicles, the number plate bracket (once Lee had explained what it was) was exactly the same with the number plate also missing, I thought it had been swivelled up in one photo to access the towing eye but of course that is to one side, by then I realised they were different vehicles but only through the indicator colours.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

@J.R.I detest the low sun at morning and evening, it makes driving so much more dangerous. It just that, that the other driver who managed to write my car off blamed. Said all he could see in his mirror was bright sunshine. 😉

Have a cataract operation, I did in March this year, it was a gamble because it could have left me blind and indeed I was one month later with Cellulitus Orbitale unrelated to the surgery.

9 months on and I am once again suffering from low sun, glare from headlights but its not unexpected and I have been through it before with the other eye, around 20% of the patients develop a secondary post operative cataract which can be burned away with a 30 second session of the YAG laser. Most wont realise till the ophtalmo tells them but I am very much in touch with my vision, I have to be.

• Like 2