Climate change

@Lee

Bad floods over last two days in Herefordshire and Worcestershire but only saw local coverage on it due to Parliamentary and other news.  Some of the highest river levels seen.

A months worth of rain in 24 hours does that, and the river Wye at its highest level since records began, and stupid building and not allowing for the highest river levels happening at some point.

They say the city defences did their job, well they do often and pass the problem onto others.

It  was weather which happens all the time.  The UK is an island nation or nations.

You get average water levels with highs and lows and this was a high.

If a hundred year high there will likely be another sooner rather than later and not 100 years on.

There is climate change and there is weather and climate change can affect the weather obviously, but rain and fronts are what caused the flooding, 

and maybe it will get worse, and next year there will be hose pipe bans and not enough rain..

Edited by Roottootemoot

2 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Bad floods over last two days in Herefordshire and Worcestershire but only saw local coverage on it due to Parliamentary and other news.  Some of the highest river levels seen.

Guildford flooded in September 1968. It rains now and again.

0_GLP_SAH_SA181134_07JPG.jpg

12 hours ago, moley said:

Guildford flooded in September 1968. It rains now and again.

0_GLP_SAH_SA181134_07JPG.jpg

These floods also swept away the bridge over the river at Shalford on the A281 between Guildford and Horsham - we had a single lane Bailey bridge replacement for many years.

11 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

These floods also swept away the bridge over the river at Shalford on the A281 between Guildford and Horsham - we had a single lane Bailey bridge replacement for many years.

The floods also washed out a railway bridge in Godalming for the main London to Portsmouth line. 

2 hours ago, moley said:

The floods also washed out a railway bridge in Godalming for the main London to Portsmouth line. 

Railway line was flooded last weekend down to the West-country so a replacement bus service which doubled the length of the journey.  Climate change is stressing the infrastructure with the higher rainfall rates but important that drainage is kept clear which is often not the case with less road maintenance staff to do so.  Have not seen anything to beat the winter of 62-63 for snow though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962–63_in_the_United_Kingdom

The winter of 1962–63, known as the Big Freeze of 1963, was one of the coldest winters (defined as the months of December, January and February) on record in the United Kingdom.[1] Temperatures plummeted and lakes and rivers began to freeze over.  In the Central England Temperature (CET) record extending back to 1659, only the winters of 1683–84 and 1739–40 were colder than 1962–63.  The winter of 1962–63 remains the coldest since at least 1895 in all meteorological districts of the United Kingdom except Scotland North, where the two winters of 1978–79 and 2009–10 were colder.[2]

29 and 30 December 1962[edit]

On 29 and 30 December 1962 a blizzard swept across South West England and Wales. Snow drifted to more than 20 feet deep in places, driven by gale force easterly winds, blocking roads and railways. The snow stranded villagers and brought down power lines.[3] The near-freezing temperatures meant that the snow cover lasted for more than two months in some areas. Snow was 6 inches deep in Manchester city centre, 9 inches in Wythenshawe, and about 18 inches at Keele University in Staffordshire. By the end of the month, there were snow drifts 8 feet deep in Kent and 15 feet deep in the west.

February 1963[edit]

Snow continued to fall in February 1963, which was stormy with winds reaching Force 8 on the Beaufort scale (gale-force winds).  A 36-hour blizzard caused heavy drifting snow in most parts of the country. Drifts reached 20 feet in some areas and gale-force winds reached up to 81 mph. On the Isle of Man, wind speeds were recorded at 119 mph.

March 1963[edit]

6 March was the first morning of the year without frost in Britain. Temperatures rose to 17 °C (62.6 °F) and the remaining snow disappeared.

Disturbing pictures of pollution in Dehli, India. Imagine flights not being allowed to land because the smog from pollution is making visibility extremely poor. Also this level of pollution is similar to London in the 1800's when many people and businesses were burning coal for industry and heating. With over 1 billion people in India this is a serious threat to the whole world's climate change and danger levels of pollution for those unfortunate to live there.:thumbdown:

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Disturbing pictures of pollution in Dehli, India. Imagine flights not being allowed to land because the smog from pollution is making visibility extremely poor. Also this level of pollution is similar to London in the 1800's when many people and businesses were burning coal for industry and heating. With over 1 billion people in India this is a serious threat to the whole world's climate change and danger levels of pollution for those unfortunate to live there.:thumbdown:

Lots of motorbikes and tuk-tuks and now over 1m electric ones but charging is still a problem.

Perhaps banning ICE vehicles with odd or even registration every other day will help if the EV ones are allowed to be used on any day !

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

Lots of motorbikes and tuk-tuks and now over 1m electric ones but charging is still a problem.

Perhaps banning ICE vehicles with odd or even registration every other day will help if the EV ones are allowed to be used on any day !

I guess you are twisting the cause to fit your agenda?  News reports have indicated that the reason is the burning of stubble in surrounding agriculture land...

"Cars are not believed to be the main cause of Delhi's toxic air, with experts pointing instead to crop burning by farmers in neighbouring states to clear fields."

• Like 3

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

I guess you are twisting the cause to fit your agenda?  News reports have indicated that the reason is the burning of stubble in surrounding agriculture land...

"Cars are not believed to be the main cause of Delhi's toxic air, with experts pointing instead to crop burning by farmers in neighbouring states to clear fields."

As someone who suffers from breathing difficulties it is certainly on my agenda to maintain air quality.

It is New Delhi's choose to do the alternate number each day during the crisis plate thing which is something European cities have done also.  Delhi also has banned kerosene usage but clearly needs to restricted/ban use of dirty diesels as it is the PM 2.5 particles that are particular worrisome with their air pollution.

Come to city near, or at, you.....

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/pollution-nuisance/clean-air-zone

ir pollution contributes to 500 deaths a year in Sheffield, causing strokes, lung cancer and cardiovascular disease.

The biggest cause of pollution is transport, especially diesel vehicles. The UK, including Sheffield, has been in breach of the legal limits for Nitrogen Dioxide (NO₂) levels since January 2010.

We have recently held a consultation on our Clean Air Zone proposals and nearly 12,000 Sheffielders had their say on our plans

What we plan to do

We need to bring NO2 emissions within legal limits as quickly as possible. We have considered a range of options to reduce pollution and our preferred solution is to introduce a ‘category C’ Clean Air Zone. 

This means that buses, taxis, vans and lorries that do not meet our emissions standards will have to pay to drive in and around the zone.

Why we have chosen a Clean Air Zone

The zone will discourage the use of high polluting vehicles from the city centre and encourage upgrades to cleaner, low or no emission vehicles. The impact of the zone will be much broader than the city centre and it should reduce pollution across our neighbourhoods and communities.

We are not aiming to make money from the zone. The annual cost of air pollution to the UK is £20 billion and 40,000 lives. Switching to cleaner vehicles saves significantly more money from the public purse than the pollution charge will add.

5 hours ago, lol-lol said:

As someone who suffers from breathing difficulties it is certainly on my agenda to maintain air quality.

It is New Delhi's choose to do the alternate number each day during the crisis plate thing which is something European cities have done also.  Delhi also has banned kerosene usage but clearly needs to restricted/ban use of dirty diesels as it is the PM 2.5 particles that are particular worrisome with their air pollution.

Come to city near, or at, you.....

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/pollution-nuisance/clean-air-zone

Yes – my wife also suffers from Asthma as does my daughter so I also have a personal interest.

I’ve also been involved in air quality modelling and have undertaken traffic modelling to feed into air quality modelling – so will undoubtedly know more about the subject than you.

The high PM2.5’s in Delhi have been attributed to the stubble burning I mentioned earlier and not diesel.  Much of the diesel fleet in Delhi is older technology which does not produce high levels of PM2.5 as these are generally related to the higher injection pressures and finer injector nozzles associated with the latest technology needed to meet new emissions levels.  Yes banning odd or even registered vehicles may assist but only in a small way as it is not addressing the primary cause of the pollution and is effectively a sop from the politicians.

In terms of Sheffield – I am well aware of the proposals having reviewed some of the data and responded to the residents survey.  I also know many of the authors of the reports that have been produced, having worked with them before, albeit it not directly on this study (I declined the invite to be involved thank goodness…).  I am, however, currently involved with work on an associated project aimed at improving bus and active travel journey times and routes, albeit the Council’s current suggestions are slightly questionable in some areas.

The 500 deaths comment is, to some degree, spurious as it has been largely based on data and research by others than has been factored but in any case has been largely demonstrated to be incorrect by Peer Review.  Some of the data feeding in to them is flawed and the results and analysis that has been published thus far is based on very old traffic data and an out of date traffic model.  I therefore have concerns over the approach being taken and the initial findings.  A new traffic model has been prepared and is now being used to update the forecasts but, as of a meeting with those involved a few weeks ago has still not been formally approved for use by the DfT and is known to have issues that have, to some extent, been ‘fudged’.  Also the current proposals do not address some of the higher polluted areas as these are not caused by vehicular emissions (a typical example here is the high pollution levels at the train station overbridge that are caused by emissions from idling trains).  Also, if you look at the reports, a number of the ‘hotspots’ identified are at locations where the traffic management regime purposefully causes congestion and ‘holds’ traffic outside of the city centre / ring road.  So they are, in effect, causing the issue themselves and need to acknowledge this as part of the study.

That is not to say that pollution is not an issue, or that traffic is not a contributor – but the problem does need to be addressed in a suitable and pragmatic way, based on accurate factual information and not anecdotal, evidence or to suit political leanings.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

I'm sure some on here know better than 11,258 scientists :thinking:

A new study by 11,258 scientists in 153 countries from a broad range of disciplines warns that the planet “clearly and unequivocally faces a climate emergency,” and provides six broad policy goals that must be met to address it.

The report is a stark departure from recent scientific assessments of global warming, such as those of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, in that it does not couch its conclusions in the language of uncertainties, and it does prescribe policies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/11/05/more-than-scientists-around-world-declare-climate-emergency/

41 minutes ago, Lee_Esq said:

Keep up at the back please - we were talking about the specifics of Delhi and Sheffield...   not overall global climate change / Greenhouse Gases...

11 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Keep up at the back please - we were talking about the specifics of Delhi and Sheffield...   not overall global climate change / Greenhouse Gases...

Sorry, I didn't see the words 'pollution in Delhi or Sheffield' in the topic title 'Climate Change' :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee_Esq said:

Sorry, I didn't see the words 'pollution in Delhi or Sheffield' in the topic title 'Climate Change' :D

No...   Lol-lol had done his usual trick of going off at a tangent and it was that I was responding to...   ☺️

So Boris says flooding is not a national emergency but acknowledges it is in, in part, due to climate change, as well as recent building planning.....

Sadly it cost someone their life too in Derbyshire.

Edited by lol-lol

On the BBC Weather report just now Sheffield has had 416mm of rainfall since September 21st. To put that into perspective that is 50% of the annual rainfall in less than 2 months. The record Autumn rainfall figure from 2000 is 425mm. Nottingham although having less rainfall than Sheffield in the last 2 months yet they have had 49% of the normal annual rainfall in less than 2 months.:rain:

9 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

On the BBC Weather report just now Sheffield has had 416mm of rainfall since September 21st. To put that into perspective that is 50% of the annual rainfall in less than 2 months. The record Autumn rainfall figure from 2000 is 425mm. Nottingham although having less rainfall than Sheffield in the last 2 months yet they have had 49% of the normal annual rainfall in less than 2 months.:rain:

I knew it had been a bit wet!!!   ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2019 at 18:08, Roottootemoot said:

Its nae lang on a bonny frosty braw moon licht night we a starry sky till it gets ah smokey we a few fireworks going aff.

Fair taks the breath oot o ya.

Fit are ye havering abit loon (  or is it quin). Everytime you post like this ,you remind me of the first four lines of my mobile ring tone- http://ingeb.org/songs/ascotsma.html

Edited by VWD
  • Haha 1