what tyres, wipers and couple of other questions

Hi - Got my 1.4 TSI serviced today in london and got few advisory. So appreciate some pointers please.

1. Recommended tyres? Thread is down to 3 mm  on both front tyres so looking to replace in a month or so. I saw a thread here 2-3 weeks ago but cant seem to find it. sorry for asking again! My car suffers from the "sonic boom" issue so anything that can help is good... My tyres are 16 inch

2.  where to source the wipers? official ones seem to be quite expensive. Also how do i work out which ones i need? i had a look on eurocarparts but there seem to be few options. 

3. I was told there is some water in exhaust pipe and i should give it a run on a motorway. Dealership say nothing to worry about. I drove the car on motorway (about 500mile round trip) couple of weeks ago, so was wondering if there is anything else?

4. On the seat belt, there is a little plastic button which stops the buckle from falling down to floor. I need one on drivers side. where do i get one from? dealership quoted around £15. I know its not a lot in grand scheme of things but for a bit of plastic it seems ridiculous. 

Many thanks

Edit: Added tyre size

Edited by xyz321

48 minutes ago, classic said:

I got Falken tyres for mine, from this place, fitted at home. No problems.

I purchased a set of Falken's (ZE310's) off Demon Tweeks via Ebay. £82 for the pair for my size. Excellent wet rating, one of the lowest db rating's and reasonable economy rating. Local fitter charged me £10 a side.

I have only seen one tyre with better economy rating (with the same wet / db ratings)  but cannot remember what it was.

Happy with the falkens. I have Dunlop Sport Bluresponse on the front and these seem fine too, but i reckon the Falken's look better.

@xyz321 You can get the rubbers (assuming Bosch Aero) off ebay. Pair of them for fiver 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233206387308?ViewItem=&item=233206387308

They're not bad for the price but you have to be able to fit them, though pretty easy to do, and especially as you can have a good few sets of these for the price of originals

Edited by Tilt

4 hours ago, classic said:

I got Falken tyres for mine, from this place, fitted at home. No problems.

https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/tyres/brands/falken/ze310/71293

(Not sure if they do London though)

I have no affiliation with Tyres On The Drive but they've done mine and the wife's, I highly recommend them.  Particularly if you go through a cashback site.

The only caveat with that is that, in my case, I booked a specific 2 hour time slot (I think it was £16) and they turned up outside of that window (very nice driver told me his sat nav had taken him to somewhere completely random and he ended up using ye olde worlde A-Z paperback to find us!!)

Tyres On The Drive ignored my emails requesting a refund of the time slot fee.

^^^ I'm sorry but i wouldn't recommend a company if they couldn't be bothered to even reply to an email, even to advise why a refund was not appropriate.

Especially if i had paid circa £16 for something i didn't receive., but each to their own beliefs.

You've got 16 inch wheels so most likely your tyre size is one of the most common available. WTF do you need a recommendation from us on here? They are round and black. Go and buy some. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TDIum said:

You've got 16 inch wheels so most likely your tyre size is one of the most common available. WTF do you need a recommendation from us on here? They are round and black. Go and buy some. 

Thanks for nothing then...as ur time is very valuable don't waste it by replying to this post... 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I got Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics fitted to my 1.4TSi

Thanks for advise. I just had a look on blackcircles and they didn't seem to have any asmmetrics on 16 inch. I will look elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, xyz321 said:

Thanks for advise. I just had a look on blackcircles and they didn't seem to have any asmmetrics on 16 inch. I will look elsewhere. 

Try mytyres.co.uk

Mytyres.............. 18 negative (or 1star minimum) reviews, out of 21 reviews on Delti.com

With a quick google search initially they look good but i researched them when i purchased my Falken's and decided it was a much better option to purchase from somewhere where there would be some comeback if the tyres did not arrive. 

With mytyres and these similar places, you have little to do except wait..........and hope they arrive, after you have already paid, with little chance of getting your money back. So you have to wait.

Edited by Tilt

2 hours ago, xyz321 said:

You may find Goodyear Eagle prices expensive if your thinking is that official wipers seem quite expensive. (I agree with you on this, hence my link for refills).

And I do not think you will get them in your tyre size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-205-55-16-91V-2055516-Falken-ZE310-Ultra-High-Performance-Fast-Road-Tyres/142815866053?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ignore the 'Ultra High Performance-Fast Road' Bull, but they are good tyres. Sorry but I do own the company, Lol.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:22, xyz321 said:

Hi - Got my 1.4 TSI serviced today in london and got few advisory. So appreciate some pointers please.

1. Recommended tyres? Thread is down to 3 mm  on both front tyres so looking to replace in a month or so. I saw a thread here 2-3 weeks ago but cant seem to find it. sorry for asking again! My car suffers from the "sonic boom" issue so anything that can help is good... My tyres are 16 inch

2.  where to source the wipers? official ones seem to be quite expensive. Also how do i work out which ones i need? i had a look on eurocarparts but there seem to be few options. 

3. I was told there is some water in exhaust pipe and i should give it a run on a motorway. Dealership say nothing to worry about. I drove the car on motorway (about 500mile round trip) couple of weeks ago, so was wondering if there is anything else?

4. On the seat belt, there is a little plastic button which stops the buckle from falling down to floor. I need one on drivers side. where do i get one from? dealership quoted around £15. I know its not a lot in grand scheme of things but for a bit of plastic it seems ridiculous. 

Many thanks

Edit: Added tyre size

Tyres - go with what you can afford.

Wipers - Try some where like a motor factors ie: motor parts direct.

Exhaust - I wouldn't be concerened.

16 minutes ago, Tilt said:

You may find Goodyear Eagle prices expensive if your thinking is that official wipers seem quite expensive. (I agree with you on this, hence my link for refills).

And I do not think you will get them in your tyre size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-205-55-16-91V-2055516-Falken-ZE310-Ultra-High-Performance-Fast-Road-Tyres/142815866053?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ignore the 'Ultra High Performance-Fast Road' Bull, but they are good tyres. Sorry but I do own the company, Lol.

thanks. 

5 hours ago, TDIum said:

Because there is a MASSIVE difference in price and performance where tyres are concerned... you know, just at a guess I would imagine the OP was after some real world reviews/experience on which tyres work well on the Octavia?

Anyway.... back to the task in hand....

No real need to replace tyres at 3mm, especially during the summer months when it's generally dryer.  I wouldn't necessarily recommend going right down to the legal limit of 1.6mm but depending on your mileage & driving style you may have a good few months left before you need to replace them.

Fitted Michelin CrossClimate+ to mine last year, 10K miles later and the fronts still have 4-5mm left on them, great grip in wet & dry and they're excellent on colder/icy roads.

For wiper blades, take a look on www.wiperblades.co.uk IME Bosch are hard to beat in terms of performance & longevity but the Lucas ones were pretty good too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tilt said:

Mytyres.............. 18 negative (or 1star minimum) reviews, out of 21 reviews on Delti.com

I've bought tyres 5 times from mytyres.co.uk and have absoloutely no hesitation using them.

4 hours ago, Tilt said:

With a quick google search initially they look good but i researched them when i purchased my Falken's and decided it was a much better option to purchase from somewhere where there would be some comeback if the tyres did not arrive. 

With mytyres and these similar places, you have little to do except wait..........and hope they arrive, after you have already paid, with little chance of getting your money back. So you have to wait.

If you are in Notts just call Glen in Mansfield.

In most cases he's cheaper than online retailers once you have factored in fitting.

I've been going there for decades for tyres and summer/winter swaps and they have never so much as marked an alloy. Always great service.

http://glennstyresmansfield.co.uk/

For an Octy on 16's and living in the Midlands I'd go for Michelin Cross Climates or Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen2's

Lee

Edited by logiclee