1,5 TSI power off noise

I can barely hear anything on that video. Will try my 1.4tsi ramorra. Never noticed any noise but I may be gie deef.

9 hours ago, gregoir said:

I can barely hear anything on that video. Will try my 1.4tsi ramorra. Never noticed any noise but I may be gie deef.

Turn up the volume a bit - it's really loud in real life. The video doesn't do it justice.

The only noise I hear with my 1.4Tsi is a faint low pitched hum from the rear, on turning the ignition key. Presumably the fuel pump priming the system.

I hear nothing from under the bonnet, apart from the climate control fan, and nothing when opening the door. Not helpful with your perceived problem.😥

Edited by gregoir

2 hours ago, gregoir said:

The only noise I hear with my 1.4Tsi is a faint low pitched hum from the rear, on turning the ignition key. Presumably the fuel pump priming the system.

I hear nothing from under the bonnet, apart from the climate control fan, and nothing when opening the door. Not helpful with your perceived problem.😥

With my 1.4TSI parked on the drive (even after a few days not moving) when unlocking & opening the bonnet to check the fluids that high pitched noise appears for a few tens of seconds then stops - and has always done so.

It sounds to me (as a retired electronics engineer) like a switched mode power supply running.

1 hour ago, MoggyTech said:

It's the pump for cooling the turbo after shut down.

Why do I hear it when I open the bonnet without turning on the ignition and when I haven't driven the car for several days?

Very strange then. Do you hear this noise wherever the car is parked? Thinking it may be an ambient noise from elsewhere. Many news stories about mysterious hums ruining peoples lives.🤖

11 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Why do I hear it when I open the bonnet without turning on the ignition and when I haven't driven the car for several days?

The OP was asking about after shut down noise. What your hearing is fuel pump priming. 

Well I did write shut down noise, but it is also present after key-fob unlock. So both pre- and post engine runs.

Might very well be the fuel pump, but damn it's loud... just wandering if that is normal or a defect.

I'll try with a better video and re-post the link.

@GKE

Maybe go where there is a car the same as yours for sale and open the drivers door and see if the fuel priming sounds the same as on your car.

When the car has not been stopped for long it does not need to prime the same as when parked / stopped for a while.

3 hours ago, Skoffski said:

@PetrolDave

To open your bonnet without turning on the engine first you opened the car and the car door.

So that primed the fuel system.

You hear a fuel pump.   Been this way for many a year now with a TSI.

It's not the fuel pump priming, I hear that from the rear when I open the drivers door after unlocking, then when I LATER open the bonnet this high pitched whine is heard from under the bonnet.

The fuel pump priming is also a much low pitch sound than the noise in OPs video, which is the same high pitched sound I am referring to.

As the low pressure fuel pump is in the fuel tank at the REAR of the car, this noise from under the BONNET cannot be the low pressure fuel pump B)

Edited by PetrolDave

There are multiple noises at play here, I don't think the OP is hearing one single source of noise.

The 1.4 TSI and 1.5 TSI has a very active fuel pump. The 1.4 TSI on my 2018 Kodiaq primes if you look at it, let alone open its doors. It primes for fun :D

As the various controllers and modules power up/down you'll always hear them from time to time. Cars are more electronically complex now than they've ever been, it'll get worse before it gets better.

High pitched screams, metallic ratting etc. or anything that doesn't sound right shouldn't be ignored, but most other noises are likely to be normal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...