disguising a vrs

32 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

Ya won't be saying that if your pride and joy goes walkabout in the middle of the night  😪

Might be wishing you'd turned it into a real sleeper   😁

In 2013 bought an Octavia Mk3 2.0TDi SE with 16" alloys and 205 tyres remapped it to 186bhp and 317lb/ft torque proper sleeper Corrida Red top speed up from 135mph standard to 150mph. It really confused the BMW, Audi, Merc brigade.:biggrin:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

In 2013 bought an Octavia Mk3 2.0TDi SE with 16" alloys and 205 tyres remapped it to 186bhp and 317lb/ft torque proper sleeper Corrida Red top speed up from 135mph standard to 150mph. It really confused the BMW, Audi, Merc brigade.:biggrin:

...And on that note, I think you found the answer to why?

Looks like a 1L  toy plane, drives like a rocket!

I think the O.P. Knows how unlikely theft is, by comparison to other marques but wants to p1ss all over anyone daft enough to try beating him away from the lights! 😎

Edited by mrgf

7 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Yeah you'll need the green line badge for the grill as the vRS one is bonded on & won't leave a nice clean grill after removal of the original badge

Might be 1mph faster because the Greenline badge is smaller and is designed to be more aerodynamic to slice through the air. Or just follow a large truck to reduce drag like I do (hypermiling).:nod:

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

What is the deal with Cyprus spec cars?

On looking through the documentation I found that mine was bought in Cyprus then registered in the UK, immediately I think but cant recall the detail.

Are these cars bought tax free by serving members of the armed forces?

What are the general differences in spec compared to UK vehicles?

I am asking in case I get caught out one day when ordering parts.

J.R it might be the case that car is UK Spec but purchased by a member of HM Forces Tax Free serving in Cyprus and they had it shipped out? I am in Germany at the minute and purchased my new VRS in Mar 19 and it is extacky same as any other UK spec car and collected in UK from a Skoda Dealership etc, I took it back to Germany with me and register it in our BFG System which is still part of DVLA and keep it for a year before selling to avoid paying the Tax back. I know guys have cars shipped to Cyprus if serving there and they are generally purchased from Forces Cars Direct//EMC/Griffin etc who interact with UK dealerships and do Tax paperwork on our behalf.

Good luck with your quest to create a VRS sleeper, would a quick check online of the VRN still not come up as the 2.0TSi engine giving it away!?

Anyone fancy a nice 1 year old VRS estate in Mar 2020!? Hoping the new Octavia VRS will be around by then but not holding out much hope so may be a Kodiak VRS on the cards next.

3 minutes ago, flash222004 said:

J.R it might be the case that car is UK Spec but purchased by a member of HM Forces Tax Free serving in Cyprus and they had it shipped out? I am in Germany at the minute and purchased my new VRS in Mar 19 and it is extacky same as any other UK spec car and collected in UK from a Skoda Dealership etc, I took it back to Germany with me and register it in our BFG System which is still part of DVLA and keep it for a year before selling to avoid paying the Tax back. I know guys have cars shipped to Cyprus if serving there and they are generally purchased from Forces Cars Direct//EMC/Griffin etc who interact with UK dealerships and do Tax paperwork on our behalf.

Good luck with your quest to create a VRS sleeper, would a quick check online of the VRN still not come up as the 2.0TSi engine giving it away!?

Anyone fancy a nice 1 year old VRS estate in Mar 2020!? Hoping the new Octavia VRS will be around by then but not holding out much hope so may be a Kodiak VRS on the cards next.

Try not to get any bullet:bandit:holes in it between now and next March.:tongueout:

@flash222004

Car was PDI'd by a Cyprus garage so was supplied new by them, will have a look later and see if there is a gap between that date and the first UK registration.

Ignorant question, I am assuming that Cyprus is a RHD country?

There is something in the PR codes that says special equipment for Cyprus market

OK, my memory is as poor as usual, it was Malta, the supplying dealer was Frank Borda, PDI signed off on 27-05-2006 date of first registration in UK 02-05-2006 🙄

PR Code B51 Type approval special requirements Malta.

Same dumb question, what side of the road do they drive on there?

What I would really like to know is what are the special requirements for Malta and how does my vehicle differ from one sold direct in the UK?

It had an EU type approval certificate which I used to register it in France.

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Or remove all 4 wheels every night and leave it on axle stands.:D

Leave it on bricks or they will steal the axle-stands :) 

Edited by Gerrycan
speling
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Sounds like you shouldn't buy a Vrs if you are worried that it might get stolen. Changing the appearance will de-value the car in the short term or make it hard to sell because most buyers like the racy add ons of this model. Just buy something plainer and remap it if you want the sleeper look would be my advice.:whew:

See my 150mph diesel sleeper suggestion further down.:nod:

one thing just to bear in mind is if you search for a car on  a reg checker (isitnicked.com for example) it tells you whether it's taxed, mot'd, insurance and most importantly, what the fuel type and engine size is.

It only takes a 2 second search for someone to know your car isn't what you're making it out to be and then it's on their watchlist.

It'll say, for example, first used May 2019, fuel type petrol and engine size 1984 cc. Doesn't take much to work out what the car is then, does it?

If you're that worried, get a clamp, a steering wheel lock or a driveway bollard. Or all 3!!!

Edited by tunedude
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tunedude said:

one thing just to bear in mind is if you search for a car on  a reg checker (isitnicked.com for example) it tells you whether it's taxed, mot'd, insurance and most importantly, what the fuel type and engine size is.

It only takes a 2 second search for someone to know your car isn't what you're making it out to be and then it's on their watchlist.

It'll say, for example, first used May 2019, fuel type petrol and engine size 1984 cc. Doesn't take much to work out what the car is then, does it?

If you're that worried, get a clamp, a steering wheel lock or a driveway bollard. Or all 3!!!

Perhaps the OP is planning to drive round with no number plates to keep the crooks guessing and the cops busy!:devil:

• Haha 2

Saw a Golf R Estate on Ebay recently which had been made to look like a green line. It was a lot less money than the real deal. 

I think if you want to protect your car then theres many security features you can do before to make it less of a theft magnet.

4 hours ago, mrgf said:

...And on that note, I think you found the answer to why?

Looks like a 1L  toy plane, drives like a rocket!

I think the O.P. Knows how unlikely theft is, by comparison to other marques but wants to p1ss all over anyone daft enough to try beating him away from the lights! 😎

its the rebel within   😎😎😎

merc, beemer  & audi drivers ,  just love winding them up, no bigger put down than being beaten away from the lights  by a 1.0 skoda    😁

3 hours ago, tunedude said:

yea i know you can easily check , just  depends on how good a job you make of disguising the car  😲

3 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

yea i know you can easily check , just  depends on how good a job you make of disguising the car  😲

You throwing a camouflage net over it?

You can disguise your car as much as you want, but potentially by doing so, you'll make your car stick out even more. The bumpers front and rear would need changing and the rear spoiler would need deleting. 

This all seems a lot of effort. As said above, if your worried about the problem of theft, additional security would be the best use of your money. A decent steering wheel covering lock, not choosing keyless entry and potentially a coded immobiliser would be my advise.

6 hours ago, Ads230 said:

Make the car fast and look nice. Protect it with decent kit, and fashion yourself a Thor's hammer from a pickaxe handle, duct tape, and a Nokia 3210 / Lego.

I think we're all forgetting about the homemade weaponry, here :)

8 hours ago, 310golfr said:

i think the vrs is still a target for thieves though,  thieves know that these engines are the same as vw/audi and they do get stolen, not as much as merc, bmw golf r though.

the vrs challenge comes with keyless as standard, dont know if you can switch it off / code it  out  with vcds,  might be possible

I think you're significantly over estimating the 'theft value' of a vRS honestly. Just don't worry about it, they're not that sought after. 

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

@flash222004

Car was PDI'd by a Cyprus garage so was supplied new by them, will have a look later and see if there is a gap between that date and the first UK registration.

Ignorant question, I am assuming that Cyprus is a RHD country?

There is something in the PR codes that says special equipment for Cyprus market

OK, my memory is as poor as usual, it was Malta, the supplying dealer was Frank Borda, PDI signed off on 27-05-2006 date of first registration in UK 02-05-2006 🙄

PR Code B51 Type approval special requirements Malta.

Same dumb question, what side of the road do they drive on there?

What I would really like to know is what are the special requirements for Malta and how does my vehicle differ from one sold direct in the UK?

It had an EU type approval certificate which I used to register it in France.

Cyprus drive on the left, same as in U.K. RHD cars, I once purchased an Audi A4 while in Cyprus.  The car was imported from Germany, sold to me and I imported it to the UK.  It was full UK spec.  After a couple of years I part Ex'd it for a Seat and did not have any problems.  I did have some paperwork, confirming that it was fullUK Spec.  As somebody else says be more wary of Japanese type imports...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DoorMatt said:

Beef up your house security, install an alarm system with door and window motion sensors that the neighbours ten streets away will hear...

Please don't do this. House alarms are of little value, very few people react to them, especially late at night when most car thefts occur.

How many people are woken up by a house alarm in the night, lay there getting increasingly annoyed in the hope the house owner will reset the accidental activation quickly, and then fall back to sleep? Those that do get up aren't exactly going to race down the stairs, unlock the front door, run down the street in their underwear and then tackle an armed car thief, all to prevent a car belonging to someone they barely know from getting stolen. Besides by the time you get out of your nice warm bed to look out the window the thieves are long gone.

Fitting an especially loud alarm just annoys more of those who live around you when you forget to set it properly and your kids get up in the night to use the toilet, it's like crying wolf.

Spend the money on a decent camera system instead, as much if not more of a deterrent than an alarm, but with the added benefit of potentially recognising the scum that did it and helping the Police to identify them, link them to other crimes in the area, and punish them harder.

4 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Please don't do this. House alarms are of little value, very few people react to them, especially late at night when most car thefts occur.

How many people are woken up by a house alarm in the night, lay there getting increasingly annoyed in the hope the house owner will reset the accidental activation quickly, and then fall back to sleep? Those that do get up aren't exactly going to race down the stairs, unlock the front door, run down the street in their underwear and then tackle an armed car thief, all to prevent a car belonging to someone they barely know from getting stolen. Besides by the time you get out of your nice warm bed to look out the window the thieves are long gone.

Fitting an especially loud alarm just annoys more of those who live around you when you forget to set it properly and your kids get up in the night to use the toilet, it's like crying wolf.

Spend the money on a decent camera system instead, as much if not more of a deterrent than an alarm, but with the added benefit of potentially recognising the scum that did it and helping the Police to identify them, link them to other crimes in the area, and punish them harder.

We have both a house alarm plus 2 security cameras covering the front of the house and the drive plus the LED proximity security lamps on the front of the garage which makes it nice and clear for the cameras to identify any pond life stupid enough to venture near my home or drive.:D

• Like 1