Do You Have a Dashcam?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have a Dashcam?

• Yes, it's saved my bacon
    • Yes, It gives me peace of mind
    • No, but I'm considering getting one
    • No, I don't feel it's neccesary

2 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

With all respect I do not agree. Not only are the chances of that happening pretty remote, if there are any witnesses the person is going to have far much more to deal with than loosing their excess.

So are you saying cameras are useless?  My Octavia is currently being repaired after hitting a deer. First question the insurer asked me when I reported the accident - do you have a dashcam?

Just thinking off the top of my head, another bone of contention is accidents at roundabouts. Rarely are roundabout accidents settled one way or another, they are usually settled 50/50 blame. Dashcam footage can improve that. 

Answered above.

I disagree.  As others say, why go thru some long drawn process? Are you suggesting the process may go to court and you string along with it, then at the last minute when you present your evidence you whip out a laptop from under your coat and shout "Ah ha!", because that's what it sounds like.

I think you're delving in to the realms of fantasy with that one. First of all the insurer doesn't give a toss about reporting fraud - at the end of the day that's only more work for them. If fraud is committed, what normally happens is they bury their heads in the sand and everybody pays for it thru increased premiums.

And to be perfectly honest, the police ain't bothered either because mainly because they don't have the money or staff to deal with it.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not suggesting you withhold this from your insurer, just the other party who was involved in the accident.

It is then down to your insurance company to use accordingly. 

FWIW I'd also keep quiet about having one.

If the other person decides to add additional reasons etc and gets caught out on one thing, it could be used to call into question all his other points.

Hi all, just wondering about placement for the dashcam. Is this a sensor or something on the rearview mirror attachment? What is it? Thanks

20190624_171300.jpg

Edit, the rear view mirror is auto dimming, so maybe it's a vent of some sort?

Edited by Otto_Octavius

4 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

front and rear... i mostly post to youtube video of Hoons who try to race me or pull utterly daft maneuvers

20180722_142942.jpg.d98d32eb34bd624d1886aece50af1618.jpg20180722_125046.jpg.377dbe087095e9209049aed6a7e596ac.jpg

Ooh do please post utube links.

Also What's the make and model of that camera?

DDPai mini 2 for my Skoda. Hardwired in with parking mode, but it's only set to record 1 hour because I don't want to run the car battery down when parked for weeks not used. Bought for this car and its supercapacitor makes sure it doesn't degrade like my previous one.

I've had Mini 0801 for donkey's years. It was removed from my previous car and now in my Nissan Leaf. Unfortunately its battery is dying, so it sometimes doesn't shut down properly, next start-up, I'd have to press "no, don't want file recovery" for it to continue to record. Apart from date and time resetting due to its battery, it still records as well as day 1. But because of the battery problem, I'd always buy supercapacitor dashcams in the future for longevity.

On 28/06/2019 at 13:41, Pody said:

Im running the Blackvue 750s 2ch with the ODB power connection in parking mode.

Its on all night and does not hit the limits set to power off when it sees the battery current drop

This is on a new car with new battery,  time will tell if  this causes an issue,

I do occasional see the message on the dash that stop/start cant be used, unsure if this is related.

I bought the 650sDCH yesterday and have it sat at home.

I'm starting to think I would prefer to use the OBD connection over the Power Magic Pro being hardwired. There doesnt seem to be any functional difference between the two?

Do you have the official Blackvue OBD accessory (Power Magic EZ) or one of the non brand ones? Halfords offer the 'Connecta' one. Incidentally, the Connecta has good reviews online whereas the Power Magic EZ doesnt really. 

Do you have it set to 12v? Ever notice the drain? Have you configured your settings RE sensitivity etc.?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Otto_Octavius said:

I bought the 650sDCH yesterday and have it sat at home.

I'm starting to think I would prefer to use the OBD connection over the Power Magic Pro being hardwired. There doesnt seem to be any functional difference between the two?

Do you have the official Blackvue OBD accessory (Power Magic EZ) or one of the non brand ones? Halfords offer the 'Connecta' one. Incidentally, the Connecta has good reviews online whereas the Power Magic EZ doesnt really. 

Do you have it set to 12v? Ever notice the drain? Have you configured your settings RE sensitivity etc.?

Thanks

I have the connecta from halfords. Set to record on movement sensitivity in the middle.   Dont think this makes much difference to battery as its  constantly on, only saving the recording it it detects movement.  No issues overnight where it records all movement within sensitivity.  I never checked how long it recorded when parked at airport for a week.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

I have power magic pro on my 2014 has been sitting all week with the camera on 24/7 and no battery issues at all with the next start up

That's very reassuring. What kind of settings do you have set up for it?

For the resolution & Image Quality will probably go full

Turn off Voice Recording

Turn off Motion Detection (Parking Mode)

Turn off LED's

1 minute ago, Pody said:

I have the connecta from halfords. Set to record on movement sensitivity in the middle.   Dont think this makes much difference to battery as its  constantly on, only saving the recording it it detects movement.  No issues overnight where it records all movement within sensitivity.  I never checked how long it recorded when parked at airport for a week.

I presume it had turned itself off when you returned to the car after the week?

I have a full professional system as used on emergency service vehicles, can take up to 4  cameras (I have 2) it can also monitor 4 inputs to show what they were doing at the time (indicators, brakes. Blues and twos but do not have them etc)

Great system though not cheap

John

21 minutes ago, jjc said:

I have a full professional system as used on emergency service vehicles, can take up to 4  cameras (I have 2) it can also monitor 4 inputs to show what they were doing at the time (indicators, brakes. Blues and twos but do not have them etc)

Great system though not cheap

John

Well... what is the name of this system?

I seem to have a recurring issue with mine, that I'm not sure if it's the power supply, or the car but on both my MY17 and MY19 Octavia's, the dashcam would often only power up once the start/stop has kicked in and the engine stops.

Worked fine on my Fabia VRS, in the same fuse location.

4 hours ago, Otto_Octavius said:

That's very reassuring. What kind of settings do you have set up for it?

For the resolution & Image Quality will probably go full

Turn off Voice Recording

Turn off Motion Detection (Parking Mode)

Turn off LED's

I have everything turned on; LEDs/motion detection parking mode/connected to my home wifi/voice recording/highest quality settings/ never had an issue of a flat battery yet, the car would not stand for more than 7 days without moving and my drive is 30 mins each way when in work.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

So what do you dash cam fans do when YOU (50% of time?) cause the incident. Hand over the footage to the other party  or conveniently no longer have one? 😂

If the incident was serious enough to warrant it, the police would take the camera there and then. Otherwise, an insurance company would have to get the courts involved to demand the footage by which time it would have been overwritten in normal use - unless you opted to protect it.

It's a pity they don't make ones with really good battery life that I could transfer between cars. What do bikers do? They must use battery ones. Any ideas?

Nick

1 minute ago, NikTheGeek said:

If the incident was serious enough to warrant it, the police would take the camera there and then. Otherwise, an insurance company would have to get the courts involved to demand the footage by which time it would have been overwritten in normal use - unless you opted to protect it.

It's a pity they don't make ones with really good battery life that I could transfer between cars. What do bikers do? They must use battery ones. Any ideas?

Nick

I bet nearly ALL pull it straight off the windscreen without doubt 🤥 

Having recently been involved in a serious crash (that I was the innocent party in) I didn’t even think about the dash cam until the police started asking me questions. I don’t think many people are in the right frame of mind to think like that after a crash. Maybe the little nudges in slow traffic, I can believe that, but not the more significant ones. 

19 hours ago, maffyou said:

I don’t think many people are in the right frame of mind to think like that after a crash

As an FYI, you can always ask them (the Police) to defer a statement until later (obv without taking the peez) if you've been through serious trauma, as in many cases it may come back to bite you in the ass - especially as the victim. I say so from both scenario training and real-world experience after a genuine self-defence case I went through a few years ago. Being knocked on the head or having a huge influx of adrenaline coursing through you makes it very difficult to make such decisions, so it's good to have a little break first to ensure you get the right statement down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjc said:

@Otto_Octavius

The one I have is from these people www.vue-cctv.co.uk

I have this one

VMC4 – 4-Camera CCTV & Telematics

John

Telematics  =  A gross invasion of privacy.

It means you can be spied upon 24x7x365(6). AFAIC they can FRO, I would never ever have it, even if by having it they gave me free insurance. My privacy is already difficult enough to keep thanks to the EU, Internet, ANPR, CCTV & So Shawl Meeja et al.

5 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

A gross invasion of privacy.

Posted this a while back on similar subject - probably not just limited to BlackVue: