Octavia - JD Power - how the hell?

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:46, donny1972 said:

Simple buy a manual🤣

And the bulletproof EA888 2.0TSi turbo petrol engine. The clutch must very good considering the 517nm of torque mine has to cope with. 23 months old, 2 track days and 23,600 miles and not even a singlr squeak or rattle. 100% RELIABLE and no I didn't bother to fill in any survey. Even the wife enjoys driving it which is praise indeed believe me.:thumbup:Cheaper servicing is a bonus as less to go wrong.:hi:

• Like 2

My Octavia was registered in September 2016 so will be going out of warranty soon. Just clicked over 30000miles and only issue has been squeaking rear suspension. My dealer took a look and cleaned up everything and relubricated as necessary and everything’s fine. Okay it’s a 1.6 TDi, but we’ve been away for a few days in Vienna and I’m looking forward to driving it again. 

Incidentally Vienna is full of Octavia taxis! 

Edited by threadbear
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, threadbear said:

My Octavia was registered in September 2016 so will be going out of warranty soon. Just clicked over 30000miles and only issue has been squeaking rear suspension. My dealer took a look and cleaned up everything and relubricated as necessary and everything’s fine. Okay it’s a 1.6 TDi, but we’ve been away for a few days in Vienna and I’m looking forward to driving it again. 

Incidentally Vienna is full of Octavia taxis! 

Mine also a 1.6 TDI DSG.  Not exciting but does what it says on the tin.  Never had to claim on the extended warranty in 50K miles.

Mine judders a bit when I start up and drive away for the first 20s, but I've put some Redex in the tank just to see if its its got a bit of gunk in the fuel line or injectors, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow night when I leave work (which rather strangely is the only place it seems to happen) to see if the Redex has worked.

I did notice that it was perkier after I put it in, but I don't know if that's the placebo effect.

50 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Mine judders a bit when I start up and drive away for the first 20s, but I've put some Redex in the tank just to see if its its got a bit of gunk in the fuel line or injectors, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow night when I leave work (which rather strangely is the only place it seems to happen) to see if the Redex has worked.

I did notice that it was perkier after I put it in, but I don't know if that's the placebo effect.

Noticed mine was a bit perkier after the remap. Perhaps I should have bought Redex and saved myself £490.:thinking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps it was the crap Shell super UL that it doesn't like? It's only since then that the stutter/judder has started.

Been fine on Tesco's, Esso, JS and BP.

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Haha 1

On 17/07/2019 at 19:46, donny1972 said:

Simple buy a manual🤣

The same (or a very similar issue) affects some manuals too.  In my case, a irritating flat spot when you try and pull away gently or slowly irrespective of engine temp or anything else. Makes you look a proper bellend when it starts jerking. Traffic jams are a 'mare. I have an open case with SUK for it on a 1.5TSi Octavia. There is meant to be a software fix at some future point in time...

2 hours ago, HotVRs said:

The same (or a very similar issue) affects some manuals too.  In my case, a irritating flat spot when you try and pull away gently or slowly irrespective of engine temp or anything else. Makes you look a proper bellend when it starts jerking. Traffic jams are a 'mare. I have an open case with SUK for it on a 1.5TSi Octavia. There is meant to be a software fix at some future point in time...

Custom remap is your answer. 

?

Is anyone doing remaps currently on 1.5 TSI EVO ECU's other than VW Groups pathetic attempt?

Maybe remaps for 1.5TSI Evo's after it all comes out in the wash what is really up the the OEM engine management.

Anyone renting one is going to be taking a risk remapping and voiding the warranty, and anyone that owns one will be better off keeping the manufacturers warranty valid and then buying an extended warranty, simply because the future is not ours to see but it looks like VW managed yet again to produce lemons.

Only some obviously but enough that future value or desirability will be affected.

12 hours ago, donny1972 said:

Custom remap is your answer. 

Not really. It's a lease company owned company car. If it was my own car I wouldn't be buying some poxy 1.5TSi for sure. It's outside the house only because it's cheap on BIK.

Edited by HotVRs
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 16:31, juan27 said:

Well all I can say is look how many Octavia taxis are about.   Taxi drivers wouldn't run something that needs to be in the garage all the time.  

My 2015 Octavia 1.6 CR TDi is a taxi. 

I’ve done 131,562 as I post this without a single thing going wrong. 

All I’ve had to do are services, tyres and brake pads. It still has the original clutch and brake discs. 

It’s getting the first timing belt, cambelt and serpentine belt changed tomorrow. 

• Like 3

I love the Octavia. Previous car was a 2011 Octavia VRS TSI manual. It did need a new inlet manifold soon after I bought it on 30k miles, but garage warranty sorted that out. Previous cars, a Mazda 3 Sport and a Honda Accord both had the inlet manifolds go as well. Bloody plastic things with swirl flaps! I kept it for nearly 4 years where I did remap it, as well as a few more mods. I also had the timing chains and tensioner replaced as a preventative measure, as they could be a problem on that model. I just loved that car. Apart from the manifold, it was super reliable. I traded it in on 103k miles for the VRS  you can see below. I love this car even more. It has reasonable power, comfort, more tech than I really need and the boot space, wow. I know it has as yet only done around 8k miles, but there are no squeaks or rattles, just silence.  I intend to keep this car for some years to come. I sure understand the findings of the survey showing how good the Octavia is. 

• Like 1

Perhaps more relevent to this "How the hell?" thread but just read the following article in WhatCar?  Interesting, especially Part 2 - The Cars.

confessions of a paramedic

He mentions they break down quite often, but then cites things like punctures and filling up with wrong fuel.  I'm not sure that qualifies as a 'breakdown' for the purposes of JD Power. :giggle:

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Perhaps more relevent to this "How the hell?" thread but just read the following article in WhatCar?  Interesting, especially Part 2 - The Cars.

confessions of a paramedic

He mentions they break down quite often, but then cites things like punctures and filling up with wrong fuel.  I'm not sure that qualifies as a 'breakdown' for the purposes of JD Power. :giggle:

It shouldn't, but how often have you seen a Motocar long term report that mentions blown bulbs and punctures?

I have had a 2007 Octavia 2.0 TDI estate from new, and it has been very reliable. It was originally my company car, and I bought it for myself when I retired. It didn't need anything under warranty apart from an engine sensor, and it has never broken down or let me down. It has never had any problems with the MOT, it just failed once last year because I didn't know they had tightened up the rules on 3rd brake lights. It has covered about 90,000 miles and has had all the recommended services at the main dealer. Obviously a few bits and pieces have needed to be replaced due to normal wear and tear, but nothing untoward apart from a new radiator last year. Apart from being very reliable, it is very practical and a great car to drive. It is one of the two best cars that I have ever had, the other one being the Octavia Scout DSG that I purchased ex demo in December 2015. It is relatively early days with the Scout, but it has been more or less trouble free over 3½ years and 30,000 miles. Unfortunately there is a cloud hanging over the Scout at the moment, as occasionally I have seen the position P warning message flashing up, which may mean that the gear selector will have to be replaced in due course, and the car is well out of warranty. As the 2007 car is Euro 4, and the 2015 car is Euro 6, they both missed dieselgate, otherwise I may not have been such a happy owner. In conclusion I am not surprised that the Octavia has done well in JD Power.

• 1 year later...