Thumping speakers.

Folks. I have a fantastic Skoda superb MK2 2012 combi. 

Recently I have been having problems with the radio For a few weeks. It rarely comes on at engine start but joyfully we get a loud thumping sound loud enough it is audible outside the car. Each second a loud thump comes from the speakers. Initially I thought it was an alarm to drive away thief's. Sweet if it is, but how do I disengage it please. Some times after a while the radio system flashes in and takes a few minutes of time flashing for the system to stabilise. Then press the on switch and there is music as normal. Amazed speakers are not busy. 😄 

Any hints as to what is going on?

Take keys out of ignition and thumping continues for a while. Stops after a few minutes. The sound happens once when you press the open on key. Open door and thumps eleven times then stops. Start ignition and it starts indefinitely. Sometimes turns off. Sometimes goes to radio. 

Listening to music now so turned off engine and stepped out locked all up and opened door etc turned ignition. No thumps.  Hmmm. Help. 😄 

Mechanic back from holidays in a week and would like to have a clue what this might be. 

Edited by tobingj
Add sound file.

I've not listened to the clip but from the description, it sounds like the thump you can get from the amplifier when it's turning on/off. At a guess, either the amp or headunit are sad.

Probably worth getting it scanned for faults with VCDS or similar.

Could be a bad power/ground or CAN wire to/from the amp or headunit 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 29/07/2019 at 20:23, tobingj said:
On 23/07/2019 at 20:30, tobingj said:

Folks. I have a fantastic Skoda superb MK2 2012 combi. 

Recently I have been having problems with the radio For a few weeks. It rarely comes on at engine start but joyfully we get a loud thumping sound loud enough it is audible outside the car. Each second a loud thump comes from the speakers. Initially I thought it was an alarm to drive away thief's. Sweet if it is, but how do I disengage it please. Some times after a while the radio system flashes in and takes a few minutes of time flashing for the system to stabilise. Then press the on switch and there is music as normal. Amazed speakers are not busy. 😄 

Any hints as to what is going on?

Take keys out of ignition and thumping continues for a while. Stops after a few minutes. The sound happens once when you press the open on key. Open door and thumps eleven times then stops. Start ignition and it starts indefinitely. Sometimes turns off. Sometimes goes to radio. 

Listening to music now so turned off engine and stepped out locked all up and opened door etc turned ignition. No thumps.  Hmmm. Help. 😄 

Mechanic back from holidays in a week and would like to have a clue what this might be. 

4807 1.62 MB · 6 downloads

Did you get this fixed mate? I've got the same issue and its really frustrating

On 01/11/2019 at 07:38, tobingj said:

No. Mechanic took out the system when we went on holidays to look into it and we haven't followed up since. Wife's car. She might think of following up in 2021. 

Lol. Thanks for replying

• 3 years later...

Hi tobingj, it sounds like we have the same issue. This kicked in straight after we attempted to get a tow bar fitted by a 3rd party mobile mechanic.

It turned out he couldn't fit it as out model was a 2013 (not a 2012 as we said) so he put everything back together again. When we started the car a few hours later we noticed 

the 'techno' thumping noise as you described. I'm thinking it's down to the electrics as our radio also dropped out/comes back occasionally.

Did you ever find out what it was or get it fixed?

Cheers

CD.

Thanks Roots Supercharger. I'll check that out. ATM I'm being redirected by every 'fixer',  from the auto mechanic to the electrical mechanic to the 'sound system' mechanic.

Haven't taken it to any of them as yet so I'll try the battery first :)

• 11 months later...

I was wondering if anybody ever found a solution to the thumping speakers problem please?  I have had this issue for about one month in my 2012 Skoda Yeti and nobody can give me an answer as to how to fix the problem.  I rang a Skoda dealer in Launceston and they had never heard of the issue.  I have pulled the sound system/phone fuse [7th from the bottom on the left side) out and it fixed it for a short period of time but then the thumping returned.  Please help, the sound is driving me insane!  🤪🤪🤪

I stop my Superb thumping through the speakers by charging the battery. I have not driven the car for the last month because of the salt that's put on the roads ( I drive the wife's KIA instead). A few days ago the Superb was thumping away to warn me the battery needed charging . I charged the battery and all is now peace.

P.S. My Superb only thumps/bonks through it's speakers when the engine is switch off, otherwise with the engine running the alternator will raise the battery voltage and stop the noise.