Performance Monitor

On You tube I've occasionally seen on the central display three electronic dials measuring certain engine conditions, like Boost, etc.

Is this standard on a vRS 245 new - anyone know?

It is not, you need the Challenge for this or the ‘original’ 245. It is not a codable feature at home unless you have a lot of VAG coding tools, it’s enabled via SWaP using ODIS. The boost gauge doesn’t work on mine anyway (retrofitted radio, the other gauges work though) and it doesn’t take atmospheric pressure into account so bearing that in mind it’s easier to code the off-road screen into the newer radios with VCDS level tools and enable the sport dials and you will be able to view oil and water temp which are the main ones that you would want to view. If you want a boost gauge on your radio and you have a MIB2 you will be able to use Skoda One App through SmartLink but again, the boost gauge doesn’t take atmospheric pressure into account.

• Thanks 1

Only the launch edition and challenge edition

It's a bit of a gimmick anyway, rarely used after you get over the 'look my car has a g meter like a decade old Nissan' 

• Haha 1

Just now, Kenai said:

Only the launch edition and challenge edition

It's a bit of a gimmick anyway, rarely used after you get over the 'look my car has a g meter like a decade old Nissan' 

Good one I can now tell my passengers I have the same feature as a 2007 Nissan GT-R.:D

Thanks all .... I won't lose any sleep over the lack of it.

Oil temp and Water temp would be useful ... will that be there out the box or needs coding in?

This coding stuff, I don't want to open a can of worms, but it seems to me that you can 'unlock' certain features given the right tool - is that right?

Reminds me of, a good few years ago now, the suggestion that Cannon made all their DSLR Cameras to be the top of the range models ... they simply disable features as the camera is moved down the price points! 

It’ll need coding in. You will need VCDS or OBDEleven to enable it. This will also be able to enable High Beam Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Skoda Surround and Virtual Sub (if you don’t have CANTON) along with many other things. The off-road screen will need to be enabled and then you can code the Sport gauges which won’t enable the Sport screen, but will put readings in the gauges on the off-road screen, visible on 04xx Amundsen firmware.

8 hours ago, MrRee said:

Reminds me of, a good few years ago now, the suggestion that Cannon made all their DSLR Cameras to be the top of the range models ... they simply disable features as the camera is moved down the price points! 

Yes and no. And not just Canon either. There are some very obvious differences in the hardware too e.g. full frame vs cropped sensors, plastic vs magnesium alloy body, but it’s sort of true that a significant part of the cost is to do with software. Better software generally involves better algorithms (certainly in terms of digital image coding, processing and compression) and the better an algorithm is the more expensive it is, which you obviously pass on to the consumer as a manufacturer. 

Car manufacturers have been doing it for years too, that’s how the same physical engine can output multiple different BHP and torque. It made me laugh when people got outraged the other year when Tesla enabled an over air software update to temporarily increase range of US cars to help owners fleeing a hurricane and were saying “I want this all the time if my car can do it” 🙄

On 15/08/2019 at 13:58, SashaGrace said:

It’ll need coding in. You will need VCDS or OBDEleven to enable it. This will also be able to enable High Beam Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Skoda Surround and Virtual Sub (if you don’t have CANTON) along with many other things. The off-road screen will need to be enabled and then you can code the Sport gauges which won’t enable the Sport screen, but will put readings in the gauges on the off-road screen, visible on 04xx Amundsen firmware.

What's this virtual sub? 

If you don’t have CANTON you can code Skoda Surround and Virtual Subwoofer (I was in a 19 Fabia yesterday as a courtesy car and it had it coded from factory) to give the audio a bit of added richness. The menu is only visible on the MIB2 but it works on the MIB1 too.

• Thanks 1

On 15/08/2019 at 12:25, shyVRS245 said:

Good one I can now tell my passengers I have the same feature as a 2007 Nissan GT-R.:D

Far too modern, I had these on my Sunny GTi 1993 2.0 turbo DOHC with a class leading 147bhp!

• Like 1

Just now, KevC_Derby said:

Far too modern, I had these on my Sunny GTi 1993 2.0 turbo DOHC with a class leading 147bhp!

My 1990 Toyota MR2 GT (no cat on that one) was rolling road tested at 160bhp but was an absolute ditch finder despite the excellent engine. Sadly no G meter to impress the terrified passengers. Having 66% of the weight of the car behind you is never going to be a good thing.:sweat:

• Like 1

You can get the g meter function for your phone on the mfa app.

Those type of things, it's a novelty thing to have, but as a driver, you can't look at them. You need a passenger to tell you what they say .

8 hours ago, tunedude said:

Those type of things, it's a novelty thing to have, but as a driver, you can't look at them. You need a passenger to tell you what they say .

True, but I'm safe in the knowledge that if I want to take my diesel estate car to the Nurburgring I have a built in lap timer to measure how slow I am :D

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Defo novelty and gimmick because I’ve got it in the superb and have had it mapped and the figures on the performance monitor are absolutely just the same as pre mapped hahaha

Oh yeah, it just throws up a set of values from a lookup chart dependent on revs & throttle position, my DTE systems app control shows real values & can be entertaining for passengers to watch the live variances as I try to get past my 1.34g highest reading.

I know its immature but just, because it's not a good idea doesn't mean it's not FUN !!!

4 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Oh yeah, it just throws up a set of values from a lookup chart dependent on revs & throttle position, my DTE systems app control shows real values & can be entertaining for passengers to watch the live variances as I try to get past my 1.34g highest reading.

I know its immature but just, because it's not a good idea doesn't mean it's not FUN !!!

Your nickname is not the "TYRE SHAGGER" for nothing.:bandit:

• Haha 1