The 2019 Election - Done and Overwhelmingly Dusted!!

SkodaVRS1963

5 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

A sovereign parliament. 

This is what they all wanted isn't it? 

Anyway back to the unanswered/unanswerable question. 

We have a general election, it delivers another hung parliament and minority Tory government. 

Then what? 

How about you answering the question?

You could have another referendum but how you going to get the options agreed on so it can be passed by Parliament. 

What is your great plan without getting new blood in Parliament as the current lot have gone around in circles for over 3 years? How about another 3 years or 30 of nothing but stalemate. 

12 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Bojo is not in power Parliament is, keep up.

Still representing the U.K. , the one able to negotiate deals. He may be held back by parliament but that only makes the house ineffective as all they can do is delay and cause more uncertainty. As shown today those that voted against the GE, can’t even sing to the same hymn sheet as they all want different things and the official opposition are also ineffective themselves without the support of the Lib Dem’s and SNP.

Will any of this change before the next GE? Not a snowball in hells chance. 

15 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Any referendum would automatically be Boris deal v remain. 

Now I've answered, it's your turn ;)

just done so to lol-lol and you didn’t answer. What is your great idea to resolve this?

Edited by CWARD

13 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

A sovereign parliament. 

We have a general election, it delivers another hung parliament and minority Tory government. 

Then what? 

Where is it written that a General Election will end up with a hung Parliament?

Boris does not think so and a Tory majority would end up with a functional government. Repeal of the Benn Act, Letwin Amendment kicked out 

and a free rein with the WAB . Bercow, if he still there , would not be Speaker for much longer either. 

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

As shown today those that voted against the GE, can’t even sing to the same hymn sheet as they all want different things

A bit like brexiters then, really.

Just now, CWARD said:

just done so to lol-lol and you didn’t answer. What is your great idea t resolve this?

Enjoy Boris cause tory implosion then watch parliament take charge and put Brexit out of its misery once and for all. 

Answered (again) 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Enjoy Boris cause tory implosion then watch parliament take charge and put Brexit out of its misery once and for all. 

Answered (again) 

Still not answered. A binary referendum wouldn’t get voted through parliament, especially if it was to be binding. 

None of the parties are working together so anything put forward by Labour isn’t get Lib Dem support as they see them as weak. Labour just want to be in power and so won’t t accept anything lead by the Lib Dem’s who also see themselves as having a shot at being in power. Many more years of stalemate. 

Come on you can do better than that. Let’s have a GREAT idea of yours, not these feeble ones. 

Edited by CWARD

15 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

A sovereign parliament. 

Then what? 

We need to change the UK voting system so people do not have vote for parties that are not their first choice but are parties that will either make BREXIT happen or prevent it or have another vote.

I favour the European election model by major region then at least we would get a representative parliament even if means collaborations become the norm.

Not sure the recent example of the Con-LibDem was a good or bad example but PR might be the best way forward so that most people get much of what they want.

Interesting movement in the odds...  https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics  

9 minutes ago, essexalan said:

Boris does not think so and a Tory majority would end up with a functional government. Repeal of the Benn Act, Letwin Amendment kicked out 

and a free rein with the WAB . Bercow, if he still there , would not be Speaker for much longer either. 

Bercow has already said he will resign on Halloween!

8 minutes ago, essexalan said:

Many political commentators have been discussing this for weeks. 

Big gamble by Boris, which if BXP resurgence could eat Tory and Labour votes. 

Lib Dems expected to take Labour votes. 

Tories expected to lose all Scottish seats (13)

DUP expected to lose 3 seats 

Boris is currently -43.  He'd have to gain over 60 which is extremely unlikely m

The numbers aren't going to change much in Boris favour. 

So then what? Another election? Another prorogation? 

4 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Many political commentators have been discussing this for weeks. 

Big gamble by Boris, which if BXP resurgence could eat Tory and Labour votes. 

Lib Dems expected to take Labour votes. 

Tories expected to lose all Scottish seats (13)

DUP expected to lose 3 seats 

Boris is currently -43.  He'd have to gain over 60 which is extremely unlikely m

The numbers aren't going to change much in Boris favour. 

So then what? Another election? Another prorogation? 

Not just down to party numbers but how they vote towards leave or remain as both Labour and Tory MP's have rebelled against the party line. BXP will upset the Apple cart but if no deal agreed and Boris changes tact and goes for no deal then it will become hard to prevent. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CWARD said:

if no deal agreed and Boris changes tact and goes for no deal then it will become hard to prevent. 

Parliament will likely force revocation in that case. 

Even the majority of leave supporting MPs have voted against no deal. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Parliament will likely force revocation in that case. 

Even the majority of leave supporting MPs have voted against no deal. 

More likely to vote a deal than revoke it. 

I do like your sense of humour though.  BTW still waiting on a GREAT idea from you to resolve the stalemate 

Edited by CWARD

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

More likely to vote a deal than revoke it. 

I do like your sense of humour though.  BTW still waiting on a GREAT idea from you to resolve the stalemate 

I've given you my answer. 

I'm still waiting for yours on what happens if an election delivers continued stalemate? 

2 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

I've given you my answer. 

I'm still waiting for yours on what happens if an election delivers continued stalemate? 

That's a big if. More of a certainty is a continued stalemate with the current parliament. If there was another stalemate after a GE then I would expect a final extension from the EU with an ultimatum at the end to avoid another three years wasted. 

I guess that Corbyn will go down in history as the only opposition leader to refuse a general election 3 times. Watching the debate yesterday evening I thought it quite amusing that his latest excuse was that the 31st January extension had not been legally signed off and the 27 EU members had  yet to ratify the extension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, essexalan said:

Boris does not think so and a Tory majority would end up with a functional government.

AFAIK none of the opinion polls are predicting anything other than a hung Parliament, if they are correct then a GE would be an expensive waste of money as nothing would have changed.

• Like 1

A GE is a General Election. It's not a Brexit vote it's not going to solve this particular impass.

I think it'll be a hung parliamant. The question is whether Labour, Libdems, SNP, indy and Greens can hold their noses enough to work together to form a rainbow coallition.

If not we'll probably see the Tories fight on as a minority government and the merry-go-round will continue.

We'll start to look like a bloody banana republic with a vote every year or so.

" Typically, a banana republic has a society of extremely stratified social classes, usually a large impoverished working class and a ruling-class plutocracy, composed of the business, political, and military elites of that society.[2] Such a ruling-class oligarchy control the primary sector of the economy by way of the exploitation of labour "

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Aspman said:

" Typically, a banana republic has a society of extremely stratified social classes, usually a large impoverished working class and a ruling-class plutocracy, composed of the business, political, and military elites of that society.[2] Such a ruling-class oligarchy control the primary sector of the economy by way of the exploitation of labour "

Sounds a bit like USA under Trump too.

A good read about how minorities can and have taken over democracies is When At Times The Mob Is Swayed by Burt Neuborne