My Best MPG Ever

So I walked the dogs and decided I would see what actual MPG I could get out of the 190SCR 

The day before I travelled the same route and got 51mpg, yesterday I used Eco mode for the first time in a long time 

Now the topography of the road helped a lot but there are some steep hills to climb 

Total distance was 4.5miles ,weather was fine and the car was suitable warmed up

After 10mins of mental concentration using the coasting feature to it's advantage I was shocked to see 130mpg, I was even more shocked to see the end result. 67.5mpg 

Yes I properly planned the drive to see if the ECO mode actually made that much of a difference

Same route

Round 1 = 51mpg

Round 2 = 67.5mpg

Great result and Did make a difference in ECO mode on the DSG. I didn't like the mental concentration to achieve it though......

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZGjp9sKm3hhAbjBSA

Edited by Zenbasses
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Damn you @Zenbasses.

You do understand I will be sitting at exactly 56mph tomorrow in Eco, trying to eke out just one more mpg. Just one. All because of you. Just you. I hope you are satisfied.

B*st*rd.

:D

It was a very strategically planned route .....BAU is more like 42mpg......at best ..lol

This is what I got on my 2018, 280TSI. Normal mode, straight roads with mostly 80km/h speed limit, and without any thinking about Eco drive. I found out the consumption when I arrived and I was very happy to see that it can be very eco 😉

20190702_210856.thumb.jpg.33660391ab45ac6d9ba1b2392606de06.jpg

20190702_210916.thumb.jpg.adb3e7919f9d3a20d069e441a3388b2e.jpg20190702_210911.thumb.jpg.8c6bbbefbe0cecd57cb112e66b800859.jpg20190702_210904.thumb.jpg.4b220544b1206d04ff36575bae56d039.jpg

Well obviously I was going to have a go at this...

I have never used Eco mode for any distance previously. My commute is 34 miles, 90% motorway, all using ACC. In round numbers I tend to get c50mpg in winter and closer to 55mpg in summer according  to the maxi-dot. Checking the long-term reading before I set off, it showed 51.1 - I would estimate that in normal circumstances the journey this morning would have returned 52-53mpg.

So today I put it in Eco - I even left the start-stop on. Here's what I got.

20190910_080543.thumb.jpg.4bc468945e284ef9c5e8353022e9852d.jpg

I can draw a number of conclusions from this. 

1. It works - I got c5mpg more than I would have expected. So about a 8%-10% improvement. 

2. The coast function is much more  noticeable than I expected. I'd always thought the engine braking in Normal mode was minimal, but the difference is clear.

3. ACC in sport mode (my usual setting) is great. 

4. This morning represents the most miserable, depressing and frustrating hour I've spent in the car since I bought it. 

5. I still hate the start-stop function. 

6. I won't willingly do this again any time soon. Life is far too short.

7. The car owes me 5mpg of fun - and I intend to collect with interest on the way home. :)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I have never used Eco mode for any distance previously. My commute is 34 miles, 90% motorway, all using ACC. In round numbers I tend to get c50mpg in winter and closer to 55mpg in summer according  to the maxi-dot. Checking the long-term reading before I set off, it showed 51.1 - I would estimate that in normal circumstances the journey this morning would have returned 52-53mpg.

1. It works - I got c5mpg more than I would have expected. So about a 8%-10% improvement. 

2. The coast function is much more  noticeable than I expected. I'd always thought the engine braking in Normal mode was minimal, but the difference is clear.

4. This morning represents the most miserable, depressing and frustrating hour I've spent in the car since I bought it. 

7. The car owes me 5mpg of fun - and I intend to collect with interest on the way home. :)

Your volume/power button isn't aligned correctly.  I'm not upset, just disappointed :biggrin:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

How do you get your greenscore leaf to appear on that screen?

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Your volume/power button isn't aligned correctly.  I'm not upset, just disappointed :biggrin:

My Canton goes up to 11 (c) Spinal Tap.

1 hour ago, Mickey43 said:

How do you get your greenscore leaf to appear on that screen?

Mine is MY17 - as far as I can remember it's there in all modes. Never got it as high as 88 before though...

23 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Use the ECO profile perhaps? 

I've been using eco - does not appear.  !

12 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

My Canton goes up to 11 (c) Spinal Tap.

Mine is MY17 - as far as I can remember it's there in all modes. Never got it as high as 88 before though...

Ah mine is 16.

20 minutes ago, Leccy said:

Some really good efforts there😆

Is anyone running a 4x4 190 and have any beat MPG , or have a view on the loss the 4WD will bring to these numbers?

I have a 4x4 190 sportline and have NEVER seen more than 45...it was mapped  however have recently had a new map and journeys that I was getting 35-37 I’m now getting 41 so time will tell I’ll let you know over next couple weeks 

Just now, Esseesse200 said:

I have a 4x4 190 sportline and have NEVER seen more than 45...it was mapped  however have recently had a new map and journeys that I was getting 35-37 I’m now getting 41 so time will tell I’ll let you know over next couple weeks 

Cheers- Are you an enthusiastic driver ? Is that 45 even on a motorway run?  I’ve managed 42 out of my 280 on a careful motorway run. 

Just now, Leccy said:

Cheers- Are you an enthusiastic driver ? Is that 45 even on a motorway run?  I’ve managed 42 out of my 280 on a careful motorway run. 

Yep zeroed it before I left one night from Sunderland and clear road all the way to derby. However I think with the new map it’ll go up considerably on the same run. I’ll try it Monday 

3 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

Yep zeroed it before I left one night from Sunderland and clear road all the way to derby. However I think with the new map it’ll go up considerably on the same run. I’ll try it Monday 

Wow am surprised. I am thinking of going 280 > 190 and was hoping for more. 

I did Derby to Spalding A roads a month back and drove very  steady in the 280 (fully loaded up with wife and kids and holiday gear ) for below -

C527142F-D2B1-4B23-802C-D6ED2D0BE195.jpeg

Edited by Leccy

39 minutes ago, Leccy said:

Some really good efforts there😆

Is anyone running a 4x4 190 and have any beat MPG , or have a view on the loss the 4WD will bring to these numbers?

I would work on the basis that the 4WD takes away 5mpg from a 2WD 190. So, based on the fact that I get 55mpg average in summer and 50mpg in winter from my 2WD 190, I would expect 50 in summer and 45 in winter. But my driving profile is probably not typical, so I would take 10mpg from your current mpg if you drive a 150 and 5 mpg if you drive a 2WD 190.

7 hours ago, Leccy said:

Wow am surprised. I am thinking of going 280 > 190 and was hoping for more. 

I did Derby to Spalding A roads a month back and drove very  steady in the 280 (fully loaded up with wife and kids and holiday gear ) for below -

C527142F-D2B1-4B23-802C-D6ED2D0BE195.jpeg

I should’ve gone 280 lol