Tyre recommendation

55 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

In theory it'll make your Speedo under read by something like 1%, however that's well within tolerance of the speedo anyway.  Chances are the speedo over reads by more than that now.

By law speedos have to over-read by up to 10%, in practice they normally over-read by around 5% on newly fitted OE size tyres.

So a change of 1% will still have the speedo over reading, but by a fraction less.

5 hours ago, evtilsley said:

Anyone tried the latest Toyo Proxis? Ran these on a previous car + was happy with them. 

I have them on my car in 235/35/19 size. Great tyres, very grippy, quiet enough, decent in the rain and under £100 each. Are they the best? Not quite, they wear out quite quickly, managed 16.5k and 2 track sessions on my fronts which I’m ok with, enough to chuck another pair on the front anyway. The PS4S is the best but they are expensive. When I finally pick the new wheels I want I’ll be going for a set of 4 PS4S’s on those.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

they wear out quite quickly, managed 16.5k and 2 track sessions on my fronts 

lol, you and I have different perceptions of quickly.  I've generally got between 7-10k out of my front tyres, with me being very happy if I can exceed 10k.

I think I've had 25k from rears.

The worst wearing (7k) was when I tried out some Falken FK452s.  The cheap price was outweighed by the short life.

That's largely on my Accord which is ~200bhp fwd and a little lighter so I pretty much expected the same from the Octavia.   If I can get 16k I'll be grinning!

The PS4’s that came with the car managed a lot better than that, into low 20 thousands before they needed changing and the P Zero’s despite everything were also better for wear. Car sits on the motorway at 70 3-4 hours a day, I’m not hard on the tyres apart from the track sessions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

The PS4’s that came with the car managed a lot better than that, into low 20 thousands before they needed changing and the P Zero’s despite everything were also better for wear. Car sits on the motorway at 70 3-4 hours a day, I’m not hard on the tyres apart from the track sessions.

BTW Sasha my Michelin's were fine after the Donington excursion in July just picked up alot of other peoples discarded rubber on the edge of the track. It quickly cleaned up with my mundane Motorway commute. My original P Zero's had 5-6mm left on them after 12,500 miles when I sold my Xtremes.:thumbup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alex-W said:

Yep, trying to work out if I can come along. 

I'd like to, but I have two little ones and I'm usually primary parent at the weekends.  May be that I can come along for a couple of hours if I can time it to get a run in.

Sat at my desk presently I'm almost within spitting distance of JKM it's so close, so it seems a shame not to.  

We can always accommodate runtime requests, if running 1st helps it can be done

Was just about to order the Toyos then a new Costco offer popped up in my inbox.. so PS4s here I come. Going with 235s for the front now + will report back - thanks everyone for help

5 minutes ago, evtilsley said:

Was just about to order the Toyos then a new Costco offer popped up in my inbox.. so PS4s here I come. Going with 235s for the front now + will report back - thanks everyone for help

Costco won’t fit new tyres to the front. They’ll put them on the rear by switching the rear wheels to the front so your new rubber is in the rear, as per their policy. 

Edited by SC03OTT
Not sure the above makes sense..?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SC03OTT said:

Costco won’t fit new tyres to the front. They’ll put them on the rear by switching the rear wheels to the front so your new rubber is in the rear, as per their policy. 

It's often been said that if you're only fitting one pair of new tyres then they should be fitted on the rear - the theory being that if the front loses grip then the panic reaction of an unskilled driver (lift off the throttle and hit the brakes) is more likely to regain control than if it's the rear that loses grip when the same reaction could cause massive oversteer.

It looks like it's Costco covering their posterior ...

4 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

It's often been said that if you're only fitting one pair of new tyres then they should be fitted on the rear - the theory being that if the front loses grip then the panic reaction of an unskilled driver (lift off the throttle and hit the brakes) is more likely to regain control than if it's the rear that loses grip when the same reaction could cause massive oversteer.

It looks like it's Costco covering their posterior ...

Indeed. 

It’s probably not even Costco’s policy and actually the tyre manufacturers. 

Yes ,a frequent debate. I'm of the opinion that if you have plenty of tread on the rear, say 3mm plus, then any new tyres are best fitted to the fronts where 80% of your braking and all of your traction and most of your cornering input happens.  I think those videos show a car with bald tyres at the rear.

Personally, especially this time of year I'd want them on the front.

Sure, when you push tyres to the limit, on fast corners, if the back breaks before the front you'll end up in trouble.  

However, on the road, during the wet seasons, you're unlikely ever push the car that hard.  You are however likely to reach the limit of the front tyres attempting to either turn and accelerate at relatively low speeds or to brake in a straight line.  

I've never had anyone insist on new tyres on the back.  In fact, last time I got some, they insisted I had them on the front as that's what wears more and has more weight.

Also obvious if the Rear Wheels / tyres are wider than the fronts and you buy new fronts they need to put them on the front.

Then if you have a Audi RS3 or similar with the option wider fronts and you buy front tyres they go on the front.

Life is simple really, and so can be explaining to Tyre Fitters and Centre managers what goes where on different vehicles.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

Exactly as Alex-W says.

If they are a bargain price, let Costco fit them to the rear, drive out the garage and swap them round in the carpark

For 30mins work if the price is right and you have a spare (or 2 jacks), and do it within view of the Costco garage. 😁

• Haha 1

I've tried many brands over the years but I have settled on using Goodyear F1's. Good balance of price and performance. I find them excellent in both wet and dry conditions and nice and quiet.

16 hours ago, evtilsley said:

WThey wouldn't mix sizes so since offer was on went for new all round. Hope I like them!

I find it bizarre they wont just do what you want.

I've taken just two wheels in many times and got them to fit tyres I've supplied, they don't even know what car it's going on, let alone what Axel or what's on the other one.

• Like 1

As others have said above, there is absolutely no legal requirement that says new tyres must go on the rear. It is only a recommendation and as long as the rear tyres you are keeping aren't completely worn out then there should be no issue.