DSG Oil Change

Nick_H

Car on 24.5k miles. Dealer says 40k for oil change. Now rightly or wrongly this has the old buttocks twitching.....

Looking at my average mileage cars going to be pushing 7 years old when its due for a DSG oil service.....

So... For the sake of a couple hundred quid get it done now and again at say 50k ?

Opinions please :-)

OIL Change in DSG I'd do 40K miles (60k KM) or 4 years. That's reasonable in my head. Also depends on how much you drive town/extra urban, basically the more DSG works the more OIL gets hot the worse it gets. So in towns DSG OIL gets worse faster. 

• Like 1

My 2 yr old 280 just had her gearbox oil changed at 16k this week.

They said it wasn't needed yet. I said I still want it as I do mostly town driving and it's up and down the box constantly.

Edited by Groaver
  • Like 3

You will be surprised how sturdy and resiliant the DSG box is. I would definitely not be servicing it before it's due.

I put 650,000kms on a 2.0tdi 140bhp Octavia (remapped after it was run-in).......and I think it only got 3 gearbox oil changes.......it was sold on, driving perfectly!!!

49 minutes ago, Groaver said:

My 2 yr old 280 just had her gearbox oil changed at 16k this week.

They said it wasn't needed yet. I said I still want it as I do mostly town driving and it's up and down the box constantly.

Out of interest was it £200 ish ?

Nick, £189 as per the price for a car over three years old on Skoda's website..

I told them I didn't see what changed over the course of a year to make it cheaper and that was what I was prepared to pay.

• Like 1

I just changed the DSG gearbox oil in my car myself, at 40,000 miles and 3.5 years. The oil that came out looked the same clear colour as the oil that went in again. So personally I think 40k miles is the right interval. I might kid myself that the changes are a bit smoother, but if they are, the difference is marginal.

By contrast I also changed the Haldex oil - that was disgusting and full of gunge. If anything should be changed more frequently than the service schedule recommends, it is the Haldex fluid. And also, make sure they remove the pump itself to clean the gunge off the pump inlet gauze.

• Like 2

I was at the largest BMW dealer in Slovenia last week and I was told their "old style automatic"'s don't require OIL changes at all. Permanent sealed transmission they say. I say that's *******s, but trust me if they can say that, DSG isn't much different... Gear shifts in DSG are soo fast that the gear box rarely gets hot, while hydraulic coupling like torque converter is constantly heating up/cooling down oil. 

I just think 40K miles (60k KM) just just "recommendation" for max life time of all these gearboxes. For manufacturer it's much easier to blame people for premature wear (MANUAL) compared to AUTO where people don't have much chance to ruin the gearbox.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MChris said:

Nick, how did you change the DSG oil?  Did you have access to some form of computer gadget to measure the oil temperature?

If you mean this Nick, then yes I have VCDS which allows monitoring of the gearbox oil temperature. However the range is quite wide (I don’t have the figure to hand but at least 10C, maybe 20) and bearing in mind the oil is just the other side of the gearbox case, I think a pretty good idea of oil temperature could be gained from case temperature.

Also, I struggled a bit to get the oil temperature up enough. It got to about 30 and didn’t want to go up much more so I put it into gear and revved a bit with the brake on, that added a few degrees. I suspect if you run the engine for 10 mins at idle that will be close enough, presuming ambient temperature is normal. The important thing is to have the engine running when you remove the filler pipe - ie the level is checked with the engine running in P.

I used some silicone pipe up the stack tube to fill it - that worked very well with no leakage as the pipe was the same diameter as the hole. Access to the filter was a doddle - just needed to remove the big air inlet pipe between airbox and manifold, though I think that will vary according to the engine variety.

i described it here 

Edited by nicknorman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2019 at 19:12, Nick_H said:

Car on 24.5k miles. Dealer says 40k for oil change. Now rightly or wrongly this has the old buttocks twitching.....

Looking at my average mileage cars going to be pushing 7 years old when its due for a DSG oil service.....

So... For the sake of a couple hundred quid get it done now and again at say 50k ?

Hi Nick

Similar mileage to my recently acquired 2016 Superb. I'm really confused because on my my previous 2014 Octavia 3 (1.4 TSI DSG petrol), I was told 5 years or 70,000 miles.  The transmission code the Superb boot label.  Can anyone tell me if this a sealed DSG or one that has to have the oil changed? 

Regards retiredbri

• Like 1

Mines was done at a cost of £189 at DM Keith Leeds with 45k on the clock ...5k over the recommended but they said it was in perfect order ....

That was an expensive day......£580 on Servicing , DSG Service and Brake Fluid Change ....it still baffles me why a brake fluid change isn't part of a £289 major service ...

Can I tell the difference..???..nope...lol...but its worth it for peace of mind 

Edited by Zenbasses