So, tonights tea was..........................

Auric Goldfinger

1 minute ago, Lady Elanore said:

They're a real thing! I thought they were just prototypes when I saw pictures and videos of them. How far do they travel on their own? Can you order a single tin of beans and video one of those 'Banana Splits' buggies for us to watch? 

They are indeed a real thing & have been for quite a while in MK centre. Only last year did they make it across the M1 to Newport Pagnell where I am. Coop are now using them for local deliveries - 5 mile radius from local shop I think. Del charge varies depending on the round trip distance. Download the App & away you go. Click on the YouTube link below I put below the photo in my post above for a video or, here's another one Robot2 Yes you could just order a single tin of beans but I'd be tempted to add a extra things as well to make it worthwhile.

They are all over the place around here & have been a godsend for a lot of people during lockdown. Until recently they only delivered food & household products but I believe they can now deliver alcohol as well - handy when you run out half way through a saturday night session at home.  It's the future. 

7 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

stealing them?? etc

That was my first thought............. It will happen if it isn't already, surely...

How do they cross roads, junctions, pedestrian crossings etc?

I am assuming that they use the pavements and not the roads.

They should equip them with rotating scythes Roman war chariot stylie for the cars parked on the pavement!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

People (I use the term loosely) aren't tipping them over, putting wheelie bins on them, stealing them?? etc

I think that may have happened in the early days & one or two were found in the Grand Union canal if memory serves but after a while they have become part of local life - some may even say they are cute! I believe they also have some anti theft devices onboard as well as GPS so HQ can track each one of them. Believe it or not they are also being used for delivering "Happy Birthdat" messages to people - because they can talk as well:ohmy:

One or two got into trouble in the recent floods but other than that they work seem to work come rain or shine. From placing our order to receiving our delivery took under 20 mins. Admittedly we are only 3/4 mile from our local Coop but shielding SWMBO (self imposed) didn't want to either of us to go in person to the local Coop to top up some missed items from our main click & collect shop. We will probably use the service again - especially now they are able to deliver alcohol. I feel a cheeky bottle of Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc coming on for tonight scoff :beer:      

Image result for Starship robot in floods

Image result for starship robot in canal

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

How do they cross roads, junctions, pedestrian crossings etc?

I am assuming that they use the pavements and not the roads.

They should equip them with rotating scythes Roman war chariot stylie for the cars parked on the pavement!

Most if not all of our pathways have dropped curbs for wheelchairs, mobility scooters etc. The robots use the pavements & cross roads at the pedestrian lights or via halfway islands in the roads. They have about 6 or 8 cameras in them for negotiating people, parked cars etc. On a busy road I've seen them waiting for what seems like an eternity for a gap in the traffic to cross the road. Their top speed is around 3.7mph. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I would stick 'Googly eyes' on every one I came across. A bit like a food delivery 'Henry' (the vacuum cleaner stylee)

I think that may of already happened! 

I believe the company that makes them, Starship Industries, are USA based & they have them over there as well. Pic below is one in Indiana in the snow - 6 wheel drive! They have them on a lot of US University campuses to boost student study time efficiency:giggle:

Starship%20in%20Snow.jpg 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 15:16, Aspman said:

I had to get lessons from SO on the appropriate way to heat up beans ensureing that the sauce ends up appropriately thick.

I appear to bea  bit of a rarity in that I don't like baked beans of any type. Actually I don't have an issue with the beans just that overly sweet sauce they are in.

I do really like Greek Plaki beans though, nom nom and healthy

Someone else that doesn't like baked beans :biggrin:

24 minutes ago, Wino said:

Refined :D

The poor dog has been known to flee the room!

Can't blame dogs all the time - Kapua, our elderly Maine **** has a bit of an unfortunate problem.

Oops, nanny didn't like our cat breed. 

Edited by Warrior193
added note.

18 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

I think that may have happened in the early days & one or two were found in the Grand Union canal if memory serves but after a while they have become part of local life - some may even say they are cute! I believe they also have some anti theft devices onboard as well as GPS so HQ can track each one of them. Believe it or not they are also being used for delivering "Happy Birthdat" messages to people - because they can talk as well:ohmy:

One or two got into trouble in the recent floods but other than that they work seem to work come rain or shine. From placing our order to receiving our delivery took under 20 mins. Admittedly we are only 3/4 mile from our local Coop but shielding SWMBO (self imposed) didn't want to either of us to go in person to the local Coop to top up some missed items from our main click & collect shop. We will probably use the service again - especially now they are able to deliver alcohol. I feel a cheeky bottle of Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc coming on for tonight scoff :beer:      

Image result for Starship robot in floods

Image result for starship robot in canal

Lol.............

Seriously, someone needs to reprogram them though, firstly to tell them they cannot swim, no matter how much they may try, but also to help them learn to spell 'Happy Birthday'.............. :D

Love em......

Lunch today........

Toast, topped with bacon, cheese, onion and softly poached eggs...

Just missing mushrooms. Blame Morrison's.

Eggcellent... Lol.

20210220_123043.jpg

• Like 3

It's hard to beat the classics :)

I had my tea at around 22:30hrs last night. Quick ham and cheese omelette with a side helping of beans, nice but not quite fine dinning 

Having lazy day today, so comfort food on the menu....mashed baked potatoes, fish fingers and some sort of veg thing (probably end up being beans again as it is the correct accompaniment to fish fingers :) ) I think I am over compensating for the first few months of lockdown when I couldn't get baked beans for love nor money.